Health Addiction to Video Games Is Just Like Drug Addiction: The same brain pathways

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an entire news list by Google search.

Being addicted to love can be extremely real. In fact, many obsessions - such as the one some people have for sex, food or video games - act just like drug addictions. You may have noticed some similarities between them, but the reactions taking place in the brain of the people addicted to gambling or video games are similar to those encountered in the brains of the alcoholics and cannabis addicted people.

Parents may helplessly witness how their children change habits becoming, from a normal kid, a miserable, withdrawn person, skipping school, being always angry when confronted, and stealing from family and friends to fuel their obsessions. And this personality and behavioral change can last for years. Any difference from a cocaine addict?

Last edited by a moderator:

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
What we all need is a brain scan and check to see if one particular part of our brains have similar distinctions.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
old news. video games have been addicting since the creation of the atari 2600 (or anything before that, thats the earliest i remember)

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Video game addiction is more like heroin.

Once you get addicted to one game you will seek that same level of fun, but it will never be achieved.

This is what happened to me with World of Warcraft. Insane amounts of fun for a few months, eventually I realized I need a life so I quit. Then I felt a void in my soul and tried to fill it with other less time consuming games but they never did it for me.

At this point I'd never go back to WoW but I do get occasional cravings for it. *scratches neck vigorously*

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score

Once you get addicted to one game you will seek that same level of fun, but it will never be achieved.

This is what happened to me with World of Warcraft. Insane amounts of fun for a few months, eventually I realized I need a life so I quit. Then I felt a void in my soul and tried to fill it with other less time consuming games but they never did it for me.

At this point I'd never go back to WoW but I do get occasional cravings for it. *scratches neck vigorously*

Weird. I used to be a huge game player, then I tried world of warcraft and got bored with quite a few games for a while. WoW killed games for me.

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score

Same here, i thought about putting it in and hopping back into it...

Recently i woke up and was just bored of my Xbox, I haven't turned it on in the past 4 days, the only time i turn it on now is to watch movies, I've become so dis-interested in video gaming as of lately.

Reaction score
No it's not. The only reason it has some similarities is that all addictions do.

Food, exercise, games. Drug addiction takes it beyond all of them.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I ended my addiction with MMOs when I was 11 xD
I can see how it does work like a drug.

This.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
You truly can't compare video game addiction to a certain drug addiction until you get horribly addicted to both (one at a time) then recover from the addiction. Only then could you compare and contrast the two. To say anything else is making comparisons without experience.

Reaction score
I mean seriously guys, what harm comes from getting addicted to video games? Arthritis or becoming a loner (which you probably already were if you are addicted to video games)? It seems people who claims they are addicted to games are just trying to get attention or justify them being alone. Being a loner may not be the exact case though I am just trying to make a point. But comparing yourself to people who have serious problems for such minor reasons is extremely annoying.

Well... that was my rant.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
i repeat.

people are serious about their games.

They are SO serious about it, they activate mind over matter and go through withdrawal symptoms

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Videogames aren't mentally or physically addicting, drugs are...:banghead:

There's a difference between "playing too much" and "not stopping".

Drug Rehab causes major problems when quitting I doubt going outside and playing around isn't going to tear you apart from not playing video games.

Reaction score
They are SO serious about it, they activate mind over matter and go through withdrawal symptoms

Yea... uh no.

This "withdrawal" you are talking about is just being bored or some other lame thing.
Drug addiction changes the way your brain actually functions in different ways depending on the drug, unlike this bullshit gaming addiction.

I cannot believe how gullible you people are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.