Animation jimmying?

M

MrJoeS

I want to use the Villager 3d model for a hero, and I'd like him to use the "attack" animation when he cast spells. The default is for him to stand still, or scratch his neck. Am I out of luck?

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Untitled Trigger 001
Events
Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Begins casting an ability
Conditions
(Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to Villager (Male)
Actions
Animation - Play (Casting unit)'s attack animation

M

MrJoeS

Awesome. Elegant. I was worried this would be a dead end, and I'd need to accept a shortfall or rework a significant bit of concept.

Thanks again Darg.

M

MrJoeS

Ok, trouble again. The villager's ability is an item-stealing thing. I was hoping to be able to write triggers to have whatever item was in the target unit's "slot 1" and add a copy of it to the villager's inventory.

This is the trigger I wrote:

[]

Larceny
--Events
----Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
--Conditions
----(Ability being cast) Equal to Pick Pocket
--Actions
----Set Loot = (Item-type of (Item carried by (Targeted unit) in slot 1))
----Item - Remove (Item carried by (Targeted unit) in slot 1)
----Hero - Create Loot and give it to (Triggering unit)

[]

I really love TFT WE's "copy as text" feature.

I know my problem here is that (targeted unit) isn't meant to do what I'm trying to do. It's meant to be attached to the "acquires a target" unit event. I guess my basic problem is that I can't find a "is the target of an ability" or "is affected by an ability" or "acquires a buff" event for units.

Then I could make the triggering unit the target of the Pick Pocket ability.

(oh, by the way, Pick Pocket is a stripped-down, 50.00-range, low damage Frost Nova with no AoE and a slowing duration of only 0.2 seconds)

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
The solution here is going to be just a little more tricky, but it should be do-able. It seems you are right, there is no event response to find the target unit for a spell casting event, which seems very odd. Anyway:

Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Is issued an order targeting an object
    Conditions
        (Issued order) Equal to (Order(frostnova))
                                   [your spell is based off frost nova]
    Actions
        set <pickpocket_target> = (target unit of issued order)
              [unit variable]

Code:
Larceny
    Events
       Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    Conditions
       (Ability being cast) Equal to Pick Pocket
    Actions
       Set Loot = (Item-type of (Item carried by <pickpocket_target> in slot 1))
       Item - Remove (Item carried by <pickpocket_target> in slot 1)
       Hero - Create Loot and give it to (casting unit)

oh, and if this is a multiplayer map, turn "pickpocket_target" into a unit array, and do:

<pickpocket_target[player number of (ordered unit)]> in the first trigger

and:

<pickpocket_target[player number of (casting unit)]> in the second trigger.

hopefully that works.......

ADDITIONAL NOTE ON "COPY AS TEXT" feature:

To preserve the trigger formatting, you can:

1. click on the "#" button which sits among those buttons between the post subject and the contents of your post. Paste your trigger into the window that pops up.

2. Type in "(code)" and "(/code)" before and after the trigger, replacing the () brackets with [] brackets (I didn't do that because it automatically turns everything inside the tags into code).

M

MrJoeS

Thanks. I was scared I might need to use a risky region system or something that might occasionally glitch things up. Fortunately, unlike StarEdit, WE gets away from using regions constantly.

I'll be sure next time to post in a "code" box, too. :D

M

MrJoeS

Custom Unit limitation?

While engineering the heros in my map, I ran into what I think may be obstacles. Trying to reach specific hit point and armor totals, I found myself doing algebra to get the outcomes I wanted. There may be a way around this.

Can I cause the bonus HP per point of Strength to be something other than 25?

It is impossible to use base values of less that one for HP and armor (called "defense" in the editor, for absolutely no reason) though -150 is technically an integer. And yeah, it's pretty anal of me to bother mentioning that, but it does bother me. ::grin::

I can work with these limitations, but I wanted to have HP values on the order of 100, but not put Strength values as low as 2 or 3.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes you can, I'm guessing from the question that you haven't had a look at advanced -> gameplay constants yet. It's pretty amazing some of the things you can change in there :)

And while you're at it, have a look at advanced -> game interface, and take a look at how much (and how easily) you can change the entire game interface!

oh yeah, regarding your question, look for the "hero attributes" fields in gameplay constants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.