Sci/Tech Apple Removes Green Electronics Certification From Products

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Not for a consumer, but if you take the laptop apart then it's probably quite easy.

easily disassemble products, with common tools

it doesn't matter who disassembles it, it needs to be easy to do with common tools, which none of their computers are.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Apple did say they will "improve" the EPEAT qualification. If what I think it is, they might be "improvising" the qualifications that may let rMBP be allowed to have an EPEAT certification.
Something like that... they also said they're doing a lot of environmentally friendly things too that EPEAT doesn't check and it sounds like they want those things added.
easily disassemble products, with common tools
it doesn't matter who disassembles it, it needs to be easy to do with common tools, which none of their computers are.
Yes it does matter who disassembles it:

In order to meet the standards, recyclers need to be able to easily disassemble products, with common tools, to separate toxic components, like batteries.

And since you're not a recycler and have never tried to fully disassemble one to the point of no return, you can't possibly know that they aren't easily disassembled, or are any more difficult than other computers of the same form factor.

This is the verification part which the rMBP has apparently not yet undergone: #mce_temp_url#. The rMBP aside, as it has yet to be verified, any Mac which didn't qualify would've been removed long ago and it would've been quite public.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the people from iFixit.com count as recyclers? If so, would the above statement count as false?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I would say it's the same sort of thing for the most part. And no it wouldn't. Slapshot was arguing that Apple's other Macs didn't fit the bill, but they do. The rMBP doesn't because of the battery -- even though it's certified, it hasn't been reviewed yet. As soon as they find they can't easily remove the battery/display then it'll lose its status.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Slapshot was arguing that Apple's other Macs didn't fit the bill, but they do.

replacing the battery in a macbook air - apple does it for you and gives no DIY instructions , and does the same thing for the macbook pro and then the idevices also have non-removable batteries, do they not?

and do tell us, how easy is it to remove the battery of those computers, and what makes it any easier for a recycler, while using the same tools as us (aka no special apple screwdriver)

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
replacing the battery in a macbook air - apple does it for you and gives no DIY instructions , and does the same thing for the macbook pro and then the idevices also have non-removable batteries, do they not?

and do tell us, how easy is it to remove the battery of those computers, and what makes it any easier for a recycler, while using the same tools as us (aka no special apple screwdriver)
What does any of that have to do with the EPEAT certification? Again it has nothing to do with user serviceability.

The recycler is set up with the necessary tools and equipment -- unlike the consumer. I'm sure they would have all the tools required to disassemble Macs. And more to the point, they take the entire system apart and that makes everything accessible.

iDevices aren't certified anyway, but they do have removeable batteries, they're just not user serviceable.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
What does any of that have to do with the EPEAT certification?

The recycler is set up with the necessary tools and equipment -- unlike the consumer.

the EPEAT certification means it only requires "common tools" - no equipment, no special tools, which is why those products do not meet it's requirements. "common tools" is what the consumer also has (normally) - therefore because the EPEAT certification requires it to be able to be disassembled with common tools, and the macs are not easy to disassemble with common tools, as per the EPEAT certification, they should not qualify, but because of the $$$, they did.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
You don't know that the tools required to unscrew some of the odd screws Apple uses aren't considered "common hand tools". It's not common for a consumer, but for a recycler it may be, along with many others.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Apple is purposefully making it harder for iPhone 4 owners to perform simple DIY repairs by replacing common Phillps head screws with a rare "pentalobe" screws.

ifixit_pentalobe_diagram.jpg

This screw head clearly has one purpose," iFixit CEO Kyle Wiens told Ars. "To keep you out

Read Moar Here.
Such bastard they are. Aren't they?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a smartphone and it doesn't have a user replaceable battery, so of course they don't want you getting into it.
Thats something i really wonder about. Why cant you change the battery in those things?
You can do in android phones, and it makes quite some sense to be able to.
If your battery is low on charge but you really need that phone you can simply switch the battery and you have a full charge again. That sounds great.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Well, one MOAR reason not to buy such "crap phone" Right right?
That's subjective. I want to buy a spare battery and replace it when I need it. I'd rather the little extra capacity.
Thats something i really wonder about. Why cant you change the battery in those things?
You can do in android phones, and it makes quite some sense to be able to.
If your battery is low on charge but you really need that phone you can simply switch the battery and you have a full charge again. That sounds great.
They can make the battery a little larger than they could if it was removable.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Those things strip like none other. Pentalobe bits do....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.