Discussion Attack Indexing Solved

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
So... today I solved attack indexing

Previously, people attempted to index attacks using debuffs. This wasn't possible because the data wasn't stored on the projectile. Thus, when the projectile would hit the unit, it would do something like fire events for the source, which would in turn add the debuff (ability is probably registered to some event).

So what data is on a projectile?

The target (x,y or unit)
The source
The damage

I was not sure about the third point, but I tested it, and certainly, the damage was stored on the projectile. Using a Bonus system, you can set the damage to some index and then, using a DDS, transform that damage into the actual damage using that index. This will mess up the UIs, sure, and it will force you to do custom armor types (you can't use vanilla warcraft 3 armor), and it will force you to do custom attack types (you can't use vanilla warcraft 3 attacks or attack types), but it will let you do custom attack types, custom armor types, and oh so much more.

I'm already wanting to do a few things with this

1. Accuracy based on distance and z-height

2. Custom armor types using an armor item whose item charge is the armor value (click it for more stats)

3. Custom attack types using weapon items whose item charges are attack values (click for more stats). Furthermore, these items each have their own cooldowns. Also, recall that some items enable units to target air. Brilliant? Yes. They can also have their own cooldowns.

There is oh so much you can do with attack indexing, it's unbelievable. This is a very good day for me : D. I have wanted to do attack indexing forever.

I'll release an attack indexing system soon. Right now I'm working on the documentation for the new DDS.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll try to get your system to a broader public, so they can use and provide feedback for it.

Last edited:

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
You got a feedback:

FourOranges said:
What does this mean in layman's terms? I'm reading his entire post and I can't seem to figure out what any of it means. What can you do with this?

fiqar said:
Pretty cool that there's still mapmaking innovation even after 10+ years

Last edited:

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
so for every projecile (e.g, attack on a unit), we need a unique amount of damage? Then this damage identifies the attack/projectile, and we can do the real damage by hand? And war3 armor does not work because it modifies the projectile damage?

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
yea

the unique damage is automatically assigned by the system using something like Bonus. Rather than putting a unit's stats into the object editor, you'd put them into a struct or something ^)^.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.