Best RPG map(s) made for Warcraft III (TFT) ?

S

Soul Reaver

there are 2 types of dificulty
1. having to use your brain to get past obstacles
2. having a % chance on any given action that you loose

the first is good, the second sucks
the problem with ttbe is that there are alot of things that can go wrong without the player having anything to do against it

soulreavers pathing bugging and him walking right into the barracks=lose
sword teleport to a bad location=lose
guards go for the boss instead of the bandits=lose
sword going crazy and killing the bandit boss during a cinematic=lose
sword going crazy and killing fei during a cinematic=lose
celerity teleport to a bad loaction=lose
any companion suicide running into an ultimate=lose
flamestrike on fei when he's small=lose
ents blocking the way out of the flamestrike=lose
void kid instagibs the troll during a cinematic=lose
sword going crazy and killing the troll=lose
void kid spawning ontop of the troll=lose

i never played map 5 because 1-4 were way too random

Sorry for getting into this so late, but I only found out about this thread now.

Since I'm the one who made the maps I can comment on some of these criticisms:

soulreavers pathing bugging and him walking right into the barracks=lose
> The only thing to blame for this is the Warcraft III pathing being very annoying. It's easily avoided by keeping an eye on characters and not having them walk huge distances without keeping an eye on them. A game where the AI does everything for you is boring anyway.

sword teleport to a bad location=lose
> You should only use Blooddrinker if you're certain that pretty much every enemy is going to be dead by the time it runs out - in that case it won't matter where you're standing. It's to be used as a managed risk: assess the situation, see if Blooddrinker will help, and decide if you want to use it. I've never lost in a given battle due to how Blooddrinker has 'teleported' me - if I lost in a battle where I used Blooddrinker, I lost pretty consistently whenever I used it, and when I won a battle where i used Blooddrinker, I won pretty consistently. The only exception was when Blooddrinker berserks... but if that happens, then it's usually possible to disengange and retreat and try again when the sword recovers (though it does admittedly give something of a shock to the system, and makes it ill-advised to use the sword in a very close-fought battle). If you're facing a group of enemies that can stun you, then don't use Blooddrinker until you've first killed every stun-inducing foe. That's strategy, not luck.

guards go for the boss instead of the bandits=lose
> Not sure what you mean with this - I assume you mean they go for Hector Bliten instead of his retinue? Again, never had a problem with this - if you swoop in and deliver swift fiery death to the enemies attacking Hector and his forces (as the cinematic implies you should do) then Hector won't have much trouble surviving. The Black Steel Gauntlets will pretty much obliterate half of Luther's forces - it's precisely this sort of situation that you have them for in Chapter I.

sword going crazy and killing the bandit boss during a cinematic=lose
> Never had this happen, and have even taken measures to prevent it. If you could let me know during which cinematic this happened, I could go over the triggers and see if there's something wrong.

sword going crazy and killing fei during a cinematic=lose
> Again, as far as I know I've taken measures to try and prevent this, but perhaps it needs another look into it. I would like it if you could e-mail me with any such bugs you find so that I can try to fix them.

celerity teleport to a bad loaction=lose
> Much like Blooddrinker, Celerity is a managed risk - Fei exposes himself to more attack when using it, and it's not advised to use it against very large numbers of enemies. Use it at the right time and it'll make life a lot easier. Use it at the wrong time and you will die. If Celerity isn't the right ability to use, then something else is. This is at the core of using your brain to solve a problem.

any companion suicide running into an ultimate=lose
> This is what the 'Hold Position' command is for. I clearly state in the tooltips which abilities hurt EVERY unit in the area of effect. This means that a player casting it is informed ahead of time that if they let one of their companions run into it, they'll be toast. That means that it's up to you, not the AI, to make sure they don't. If the AI were to do everything for you, where would the gameplay or micromanagement be?

flamestrike on fei when he's small=lose
> Again, this can be avoided by not having Fei anywhere near the Juggernaut when it casts Chaos Firestorm. Ask yourself: if Fei's health is small, and you know that a Chaos Firestorm will likely kill him, why is he still standing near the Juggernaut rather than retreating at top speed to Heart Grove? Fei is the fastest moving of all the heroes, so he has the least trouble getting out of range of the spell. Not to mention that Chaos Firestorm has a charge-up time (like Flamestrike) which will warn you ahead of time that it's going to be cast, and show you where. If you run when you see it pop up, you can escape with a lot less health loss than normal.

ents blocking the way out of the flamestrike=lose
> Warcraft III's pathing, unfortunately, hates large units, and friendly AI doesn't get out of the way when it should. Even so, a nice use of strategy again avoids this quite easily. Instead of attacking from the front, why not use a flank or rear attack? Get around the Juggernaut and attack from another angle, it's simple as that. As you said: using your brain to get past obstacles.

void kid instagibs the troll during a cinematic=lose
> I'd like to know which one this happens in - during my cinematics, all units treat all other units as Neutral, so it beats me how a Void Child could attack Kitharsis during one. If this happens, please let me know which cinematic it was in so I can try to fix it.

sword going crazy and killing the troll=lose
> Same as the others I mentioned: if it was during a cinematic, then I need to know which one it happened in so I can take a look. If it wasn't in a cinematic, then be aware that Kitharsis has around 4000 HP and won't die from one hit from Blooddrinker - if Blooddrinker berserks, then retreat, use spells, and do other stuff other than attacking. And again: it's managed risk. You know the danger of using the sword, so if you think that it going berserk is too big a risk, don't use it. I often never use Blooddrinker during the first half of Chapter IV.

void kid spawning ontop of the troll=lose
> It's made quite clear in the cinematics that the Void Children emerge from the caves along the path. If you have Kitharsis wandering right past cave mouths and you haven't faced any Void Children for a while, then it should come as no big surprise when they emerge from the cave mouth and attack whatever is near. Give them a bit of a berth and always, always have at least one of the companions sticking close to Kitharsis - it is, after all, your mission to protect him. I usually advance by having Soul Reaver and Clutchfiend at the front, Kitharsis following them, and Fei following him. That way, Fei (with his high speed) can intercept any threats to Kitharsis should they attack from the rear, while he's also fast enough to rush to the front should an attack come from there. Which, again, is strategy, not luck.

JeveKnight

Reaction score
Without a doubt, handsdown and with no further debate the best RPG ever for WC3 is The Black Road. The only thing you can't do is play solo and that's because it was designed to be a group RPG.

Wrong.
RPGs are made to be played by more than 1 person so you don't go single player and just cheat-creep macro all night, but it's also secondarily made for a group effort.

Pettunia

Reaction score
So I have urge to play best RPG map ever made for Warcraft but I don' t know what its name. Things what makes it good:
Story
Characters
JASS abilities
Custom Data (Models, skins, etc)
It needs to be playable in Single Player too.
That map' s official webpage.

In my opinion, no warcraft RPG I found yet that can meet the above qualifications.

Larc

Reaction score
- The Legend of Magnador
- This Wreckage
- When The Freedom Slips Away
- World of Genesia

M

magicguy

Final Fantasy Epic RPG by Ilyas

This one has a total of 41 quests with good storyline, a job system where you develop as you go (like to be a lvl 1 knight u get to be a lvl 5 squire and so on).

CaptDeath

Reaction score
3 that can be played bnet
Tbr
Tkok
DarkinvasionII
2 of them single player
Tkok
DarkinvasionII

Darkinvasion is the best imo

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Dark Invasion ORPG is the most advance ORPG and its pretty good when you don't play single player. I think The Kingdom of Kaliron is good, but you don't have enough skills and its really hard.

Reaction score
My favourite War3 RPG, just ahead of the Rexxar campaign, is This Wreckage. It is the sequel to the map mentioned above and improves on it in many ways.

Wrong.
RPGs are made to be played by more than 1 person so you don't go single player and just cheat-creep macro all night, but it's also secondarily made for a group effort.

Please don't confuse actual RPGs with the degenerate online grindfests that have become wrongfully associated with the term.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I dont have enought words to describe how awesome This Wreckage is. I really hope there will be another sequel.

D

Daniel1992

rpg wc3

I don't have tested so many RPG maps but there is one i really liked and it's The Black Road it's really fun if you play with full house and work as a team but i haven't tested so many RPG maps so i can't say which one that is best..

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I played the black road a few times. But I never really got into it. (I played some of the older versions perhaps) But still, It felt like everything was there, but it just didn't come out right for me. Like some movies, everything was there, but for whatever reason didn't hit my fancy.

H34DhUnT3r

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Please don't confuse actual RPGs with the degenerate online grindfests that have become wrongfully associated with the term.

only difference in the term is the letter "O" and some people do like the "online grindfests" more than the SP RPG's. Like me. Because i think that an RPG reaches it full potential when you can team up to do quests. I love playing with 1 or 2 friends and coop the shit out of ORPG's =D

Things what makes it good:
It needs to be playable in Single Player too

The thing i make out of the word "too" is that he def means your so-called "degenerate online grindfests". That being said; The Black Road is a fabulous ORPG, but as it has been said not single player available.
The black road 2.0 is imo not nearly as good as the original one.

Dark Invasion ORPG: very advanced a bit too much if you ask me. I think that TBR is perfectly balanced. If i want to play a very advanced RPG i prefer playing a standalone RPG (Like NWN etc)

Then again. I think that you just should try a bunch of RPG's like i did and figure out for yourself what you like best, because i've noticed that RPG taste is VERY wideranged.

Side note:
Does anyone know an ORPG that's like Guild of Hyppos, but with professions, cuz other than no profs i think GoH is perfect (next to TBR :p)

Greetings,
H34DhUnT3r[NL]

P.S. Does anyone have a link to the Full English version of Dark Lineage Owen RPG?

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Dark Invasion ORPG is the most advance ORPG and its pretty good when you don't play single player. I think The Kingdom of Kaliron is good, but you don't have enough skills and its really hard.

wow, that's exactly what I was going to say.:eek:

Immolation

Reaction score
Does someone have a link to download "This Wreckage" campaign? The link of the post above doesn't seem to work.

Atreyu

One Last Breath.
Reaction score
The best RPG for me is:
THIS WRECKAGE - 21mb map
Single Player
LOTS OF QUESTS
OVER 5 hours of gameplay - I finished it in 6 hours
Search it. It's fun.

EDIT:
The Kingdom of Kaliron - Best if you play 4 or more players.!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.