Black screen of doom

Kaylea

Reaction score
I have installed the game (Battlefield 1942) off an original CD, did all the proper patches and am attempting to run the game off the original CD. It loads up a black screen and THATS IT. No sound, no intro video, no nothing. I've tried the +restart 1 to skip the intro video's, No difference. I've run it in windowed mode, same problem. I've messed with the video.con files and no matter what i do, it always loads a black screen and nothing else. I even tried to use a mini-image to see if it was a problem with the CD. Still, same problem.

Im running Windows Vista 64 bit business edition
ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card with the newest drivers.

Im all out of options, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
try installing the video drivers that came with the card. ATI cards tend to be a bit odd with older games when it comes to newer drivers:(

Kaylea

Reaction score
Ya i had the original drivers the first few times i tried running the game. Updating the drivers was the last thing i did to try to get it to work :(.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you sure that it works with 64 bit Vista? That's all I can think of.

Kaylea

Reaction score
Are you sure that it works with 64 bit Vista? That's all I can think of.

Ya, my buddy has the same version of vista on his laptop and it runs for him and i installed it on a buddy's desktop that had vista on it (didn't know which version) and that worked fine as well. I've also tried going into shortcut properties and running it as admin and as if it was XP. Neither made a difference. Im so sad :(

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
ok.. do the same thing your friend did, there would be no reason why it would not work, other then the fact that you dont have a good enough graphic card, doubt it, but yes, do the same thing your friend did

Kaylea

Reaction score
ok.. do the same thing your friend did, there would be no reason why it would not work, other then the fact that you dont have a good enough graphic card, doubt it, but yes, do the same thing your friend did

Well, he has helped me along the way and we just can't figure out what the problem is. I have kinda given up on it for now. Might try again if some new information pops up.

P.S. My graphics card is not the best ATI offers, but i think currently it's the 2nd best card they have.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.