can't copy D2MUSIC.MPQ

G

I can't copy D2MUSIC.MPQ it tells the cyclical redundance check
Please help

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are trying to do this with the expansion pack you cannot. It can only be done with classic Diablo 2.

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
D2MUSIC.MPQ is Diablo II classic's music file. It gets copied when you install the expansion anyways. Diablo II Expansion's music file is called D2xMUSIC.MPQ from memory.

Try these steps :

-Go on the Windows Update Site and update critical errors and such.

-Update your CD-Rom drivers.

-Right click on "My Computer" on the desktop and then properties.

Under the device manager tab, double click on your CD-Rom.

Toggle DMA mode and Sync Data transfer on and off. Try different combinations. Make sure you reboot each time so the changes take effect.

-Right click on "My Computer" on the desktop and then properties.

Under the performance tab, click on File System. Under the CD-Rom tab, try scrolling the bar on the opisite side than it alwardy is.

Try these steps and respond if it still does not work.

Feel free to ask if you're blocked anywhere.

G

Installing expansion

I am installing expansion pack and after I insert PlayDisk from Diablo 2 it installes 75% and ten it askes me again to insert PlayDisk 2. I searched for help topics on this, and a lots of people suggest to copy D2MUSIC.MPQ to Diablo2 directory, I tried to do that and I couldn't copy this file, this is where I got "cyclical redundancy check" error. I finnaly was able to get this file coppied to my hard drive, and I unchecked read-only property. So now when I try to install the expansion again it still askes me to Insert Diablo2 PlayDisk, while PlayDisk is in my CD-ROM. So it stopps again at approximatelly 75% of the installation.
I do have a full version of Diablo2 installed, my platform is NT.
Please help.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
In order to install the expansion pack you must first have Diablo II installed on your computer. Install Diablo II, if necessary, copy d2music.mpq to your Diablo II folder, install the expansion pack, download the patch. That is the steps. If you have a problem please post back where in the above steps you are having the problem.

G

Installing expansion

As I mentioned in my note above, I already have full version of Diablo II installed on my PC. My problem is when I am installing the Expansion. I insert Expansion disk, select upgrade from Setup screen, then it asks me to insert Diablo II PlayDisk, when I insert play disk it installes approximatelly 75% and then tell me to insert Diablo II disk again.

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
Did you follow all my steps ?

Just mentioning, you don't need a full install of Diablo II Classic to install the expansion.

The multiplayer install is enough. The Full Install only adds the videos so you don't have to insert the Diablo II Cinematic disk each time you complete an act.

G

I am trying to use your instructions, but I am on NT platform and don't have device manager tab so I can click double click on my CD-Rom.
SO I really don't know how I can update my CD-ROM drivers.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Ack - NT - I still do not know how to do device drivers with NT. NT does not have a device manager.

Do you have all the latest Service Packs for your version of NT?

G

Thank you very much for every ones help.
All of the steps mentioned didn't help, in my case.
I had to burn d2music.mpq from Diable II play disk to a different disk. Then from the disk that I burned the file to I copied this file to my Diablo II folder, and then I was able to successfully install expansion.
This really sucks that sometimes we have to jump over our head in orderr to install a game, but at least it works now.

Thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.