Changing Armor Type With Root Ability

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
So perhaps you have heard that it is possible to change a unit's armor type in-game with the Root ability. That's all well and good. What I need to know here is how to keep the unit in question able to move in both forms.
Whenever I try adding the ability to the unit and then use it, the armor type changes as expected (this is unrooting). Then when I cast the ability again (this is rooting), it causes the unit to lose its ability to move even though the armor type does change back as expected.

So: how can I retain the unit's ability to move regardless of which Root "mode" it is in?

P.S. If it makes any difference, I am using NewGen with the usual suspects enabled.

millzy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
mayby instead of using the root ability would it be possible to have a dummy ability and then trigger to upgrade Reinforced Defenses upgrade on the unit. and when u use it again decrease the level to go back to normal

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> decrease the level

Upgrade levels cannot be decreased.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
How about having multiple upgrades? One for each type of armour. Or armor as you guys like to spell it. Then remove the upgrade from the unit when you want the armour to change back.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
How about having multiple upgrades? One for each type of armour. Or armor as you guys like to spell it. Then remove the upgrade from the unit when you want the armour to change back.

I don't believe you can remove upgrades from a unit via trigger work.

Tru_Power22

Reaction score
You could take the long way around and totally remake the unit every time you want him to have different armour. Though that would be a pain in the ass.

MateoSoetsu

Reaction score
I think you have to make 2 abilities based on uproot, and then put them in a hidden spellbook, give your unit a dummy spell based on defend or something with all stats set to 0 and then when ever the unit is given the order to use defend, order the unit to cast the uproot 1, and when the are given the order undefend order the unit to uproot 2. I think that will work. Uproot 1 will be the new armor type while Uproot 2 will be the original armor type. You may have to add/remove the Uproot1/2 every time you cast the spell. Or maybe just adding and removing uproot1 will toggle armor types.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried making two abilities based on Root and then ordering uproot on one, removing it, adding the other and then ordering uproot again. This did not seem to work, and the unit still gets its movement taken away, which is interesting, since I was ordering the uproot command....

Igor_Z

Reaction score
Maybe when your unit casts the spell remove it instantly, save skill points, level to the cache and cr8 a new unit with a new armor type?

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Sounds as you want the chaos ability*, perhaps together with GMSI (wc3 tools section) if you want to use it with many different units and armor types.

* chaos ability and engineering upgrade are the only answers that are valid to every question.

Grymlax

Probably not around
Reaction score
why not simply use the bear form ability? works perfect for me.

Attachments

• change armor.w3x
    16 KB · Views: 238

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
The goal here is to not create multiple units in the object editor since I would have to make about 360 units. I don't think Chaos or Bear Form can be done without multiple units.

Yoshii

Reaction score
it looks hardcoded to me seem like its how the ability intended to wokr, ie taking away all mobility once rooted, I doubt there is any hope.I tried playing with it abit but nothing.

crabbb622

Reaction score
After thinking about it, I came up with an idea. Make 1 root and 2 unroot abilities. When you change form, root, and then unroot immediately with the desired form. I do not know if you have tried this, or if that's how the ability works at all...?

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
The goal here is to not create multiple units in the object editor since I would have to make about 360 units. I don't think Chaos or Bear Form can be done without multiple units.
Not saying it's the only solution but with Chaos and GMSI you wont have to create 360 units :)
It will add some scripting and another step to the compilation of the map though...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.