World China is hosting the World Internet Conference. Let’s take a moment for the insanity of that to sink

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
China is hosting the World Internet Conference. Yes, China, which blocks thousands of websites and dozens of social media apps, today opened the World Internet Conference. Let’s take a moment to let that sink in.

In a statement before the conference opened, Lu Wei, the chairman of China’s State Internet Information Office (SIIO), referred to blocked sites such as Facebook, Google, and Twitter by saying, “I never visited these websites before, therefore I don’t know whether they have been shut down.”

Let’s take another moment to let that sink in. So, the head of China’s internet bureau claims not to be aware that the nation has a massive system of online censorship, called the Great Firewall, that blocks a huge array of websites, including the most talked-about sites in the world.

I like to imagine that Mr. Wei watched The Social Network, the movie directed by Aaron Sorkin, and enjoyed the tale of an American man with a penchant for grey T-shirts starting up a fictional website called Facebook.

Read more here. (Tech In Asia)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.