Configuring Updates Stage 3 of 3 0% complete Do not turn off Computer

Rad

Reaction score
Never heard of this before, seems like a very recent problem.

According to this you should try uninstalling your antivirus and let it continue.

I'm not a Vista user so I don't really have many other suggestions. Try some google searching too

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Is this Vista? Did you have the Release Candidate for Vista SP1 installed?

You can do a system restore if you boot with your Vista DVD and choose the Repair Your Computer option.

S

stitcheryism

worked for me

Hi, I hope this makes sense and helps, someone may want to rewrite in computer speak, but I'm trying, I learned this today. I was on technet for help too, then I called HP as we've only had the laptop a couple of weeks, he said he'd helped 2 people this morning. We did an imporoper shutdown and at reboot picked restore to the last proper start settings (sorry, not exactly what the screen said, but that was basically it). That apparently worked for the others, but when it did not work for my system (still went to the loading infinitum page) he said, that's all we can try, do a full recovery back to the factory settings. I asked couldn't we go in and pick a restore point to set to, he said no. I didn't want the recovery and said I'll play around a bit, bye. Trials with f8 and f11 got me into system recovery, where you need to pick 'custom' to get into system restore. It says you have to exit recovery to do a restore, do so and wait, restore will open after awhile.

Pick a restore point from the list (a date) before the update loaded. It took me 2 tries, the first date hit an error and I had to try again with an earlier date. It was hard because the first time (I booted with f11, I think, could have been f8) and picked 'directory services boot logging' down the list) and after it did not work, I could not get into recovery again through it, but later picked recovery from the safe mode list, and got back in. So keep trying the restore point, hopefully eventually it takes.

I'm not really computer savy, obviously, and I hope this make sense, someone may want to rewrite this in easier to understand cpu speak!

Once restored I changed my windows update settings to ask me before downloading or updating. I don't know if that's best, but it's working for me.

It's fixable, if I can get it, you can!! Kelly

X

xuenen

The restore point is THE way to fix it -- if you have restore points.

I don't and it sounds like thousands of others don't either!

At least one Microsoft person is actively looking into it here:
http://mcse.ms/showthread.php?t=2743151&page=7

I encourage anyone with this problem to post their problem/complaints to:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=2848906&siteid=17

...so Microsoft realizes that there are more than the 26,000 people that have already looked at that forum with this same problem!

N

Nader Zaveri

Here is how you solve this problem...

1. Boot the computer into the “Safe Mode” options by pressing F8 prior the Windows Logo.
2. Select the option “Repair Your Computer”
Note: If you do not have this option, you will need the client’s Windows Disc. Once you have that disc, boot into it as if you were to install windows and after you select the language you will get the “Repair Your Computer” option.
3. Now you can get into Command Prompt
4. From the Command Prompt window, navigate to \Windows\winsxs folder
5. Then type: rename pending.xml pending.old.xml
6. Now reboot the PC, you might still see the configuring updates, but this time it will go away.

and walaaa, there you go..

Thank You

K

kariotis21

Hello,

I am getting the same error. When I do your step 2, Nader, I get locked up on a black screen. No command prompt.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score

1. Boot the computer into the “Safe Mode” options by pressing F8 prior the Windows Logo.
Note: If you do not have this option, you will need the client’s Windows Disc. Once you have that disc, boot into it as if you were to install windows and after you select the language you will get the “Repair Your Computer” option.

Thank You

>.>

K

kariotis21

I have the "Repair Your Computer" option. After choosing it, it goes to a black screen. Putting in the disk also takes me to a black screen. :banghead:

sensay

Reaction score
So, I found this thread and I see that it's from a few yrs ago but I now have this problem. Here's the previous post:

3. Now you can get into Command Prompt
4. From the Command Prompt window, navigate to \Windows\winsxs folder
5. Then type: rename pending.xml pending.old.xml
6. Now reboot the PC, you might still see the configuring updates, but this time it will go away.

and walaaa, there you go..

So, I have been able to get to the command prompt window. What exactly do I do to navigate to the \Windows\winsxs folder? and I'm not sure if it's even possible to walk me through with baby steps through the rest of this - if you could help me I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's the same issue because I think they fixed this update, but anyway you would type

c: (enter) then
cd %windir%\winsxs
then follow on with step 5

Badcomputer!

Reaction score
This has got to be the lamest thing Microsoft has ever done, they released a patch that neutralizes my computer, yay! It should be "solved" by mid March.

Anyway, I came home from school, and my computer was on a screen that said "Configuring Updates Stage 3 of 3 0% complete Do not turn off Computer". Shortly after, it turned off, and restarted my computer. It does this over and over and over, just repeating. I have no idea how to fix this.. I'm really disappointed because I had a clan match on CS:S today.. but anyway, if anyone can help me fix this, It would be appreciated.

I am getting that too! And it is driving me nut! My computer will shut down right in the middle of going something! If I am trying to send an email and this
Configuring Updates Stage crap pop up I lose my email! I want to shoot my computer when this happen! Another blog said it may be a hacker that got into my computer! I hope this not happening!

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I had this problem in my Windows Vista virtual machine, had to reinstall (I don't think I had any restore points, iirc that was the way to fix it)

Kind Regards

Hiilikesunny

Reaction score
Still confused

I tried booting up the computer in "safe mode"
and then i could not select a laguage nor select "repair computer"
It just went straight to "configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 25% complete"
but the only difference is that the words are larger...

please dont call me stupid, im a 15 y/o girl that has no idea what she's doing

Beck

Reaction score
A Failure to Communicate (Based on real events)

What the man meant was the safe-mode options, which is not an entirely accurate term for them, but what do I know? Enough to help you. What you need to do is to hit F8 as soon as the initial loading screen comes up and hit it a couple more times to make sure it registers. Ignore the safe-mode options presented in the consequent menu. Repair computer should be the first option, hit enter upon it. Now you are free to repair, restore, or use the command prompt on your computer. Good luck.

mikeg

Reaction score
Worked Perfectly for Me

Advice to use system restore worked perfectly. Hit f8 as indicated and go back to earlier system date. Thanks,

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of people are finding this post from search engines. It was orignally about a very specific issue with a patch that Microsoft resolved many months ago. There must be some other patch causing a similar issue now. Regardless, system restore is usually a good way to get your system up and running again.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

BadgersMum

Reaction score
Tip from rank amateur

I had to try this a couple of times. When you select a Restore Point pick one before the last Windows Update - one of the "scheduled" ones. What idiot invented Vista!!!!

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I had to try this a couple of times. When you select a Restore Point pick one before the last Windows Update - one of the "scheduled" ones. What idiot invented Vista!!!!

No kidding. Pick one before the problem started. Thanks for the wonderful insight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.