[Contest] Official Spell Contest #1

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
[Contest] Official Spell Contest #1

The idea here is to give people a reason to sit down and make neat spells, to encourage friendly competition, and to, hopefully, challenge people to create the best spells that they can.

Prize:
The prize for this contest, and, hopefully, future contests, will be a not yet determined added amount of rep, or a custom icon*, which will be displayed below your avatar, boasting of your spell making prowess.
*Conditional upon an OK from TH.

Rules:
  • You can use GUI or JASS. However, all spell related code must be written by you, barring a generic game cache system, or vJASS
  • Your entered spell must be made specifically for this contest, and must not have been started before the official start of this contest
  • Imported models / icons are not allowed, unless they have been made by you specifically for this contest (unless special consideration is given - pm me for more info)
  • You may receive no help from anyone in the creation of your spell
  • Your spell must fit the theme, if you have questions, pm me
  • I reserve the right to cancel this contest at any time for any reason

Grading:
Grading will be done as follows:
There will be a public poll following the conclusion of the contest. All users are permitted to vote for their favorite spell.
However, votes for the poll mean nothing if not accompanied by a reasonable explanation as to why you voted for who you did.
Following the voting, me and (insert 2nd judge here) will go through the spells and grade them ourselves.
Final scores will be 50% determined by the public poll and 50% by the two graders' scores.
Places will then be assigned based on the highest average score.

The two judges grading rubric will consist of:
  • 50% - coding
  • 25% - aesthetics
  • 25% - intangibles
Do not think too hard into this, it is not complicated

Theme:
This contest's theme is channeling.
Your ability must be channeling. However, what happens during this channel duration, or after it, is completely up to you.
This gives a distinct type of ability to make, but leaves a lot of room for creative ideas to spawn.

Deadline:
The deadline is 2 weeks from now, November 4th, 2007 at midnight.
It is expected that you maintain good conduct in this thread.
No spam, no useless comments, no boobery, no grading, no bashing.
WIPs are allowed and encouraged.

Have fun and good luck to all.

*If you would like to be the second judge, keep in mind that you will be unable to enter this contest, please pm me with why you want to and why you think you would be good for the position.

emjlr3

Reaction score
Entries

*This thread is reserved for the display of entries as they present themselves.
  1. Prediter[BuB - Nova Ring
  2. FroznYoghurt - Torment to Submission
  3. Hatebreeder - Necrotic Requiem
  4. hell_knight9 - Boomerang
  5. ~Gals~ - Bunjee Shot
  6. darkrae - Concentrate
  7. Ghan 04 - Ion Cannon
  8. Grymlax - Wheel of Suffering
  9. Cookie - Blood Calling
  10. Rheias - Call of Despair
  11. Acehart - Eyecandy
  12. Demonwrath - Demon Storm
  13. The MapMaker - Pulse Wave
  14. Moonslinger - Dragon Breath
  15. 0zaru - Mana Sphere
  16. darkchaoself - Essence Spheres
  17. Uberplayer - Lunar Pulse
  18. rodead - Balerino
  19. Pigger - Ancestral Pwnage
  20. Pyrogasm - Grisly Barrage

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Fire Dance:
By: Uareanoob
Description: N/A

Screen Shots *WIP*:

Code*WIP*:
Code:
FD Channel
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Fire Dance 
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                FD_Channel_Trig_Execution_Int Equal to 100
            Then - Actions
                Set FD_Channel_Trig_Execution_Int = 0
            Else - Actions
                Set FD_Channel_Trig_Execution_Int = (FD_Channel_Trig_Execution_Int + 1)
        Set FD_Channel_Trig_Execution_Int = (FD_Channel_Trig_Execution_Int + 1)
        Set FD_Unit = (Triggering unit)
        Unit Group - Add FD_Unit to FD_Unit_Group
        Unit - Add FD_Flame_Count  to FD_Unit
        Unit - Add FD Refrence Array Int  to FD_Unit
        Unit - Set level of FD Refrence Array Int  for FD_Unit to FD_Channel_Trig_Execution_Int
        Set FD_Caster_Loc_Refrence[FD_Channel_Trig_Execution_Int] = (Position of FD_Unit)

Code:
FD Periodic
    Events
        Time - Every 0.05 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set FD_Periodic_Timer = (FD_Periodic_Timer + 1)
            If - Conditions
                FD_Periodic_Timer Equal to FD_Flame_Periodic_Interval
            Then - Actions
                Set FD_Periodic_Timer = 0
                Unit Group - Pick every unit in FD_Unit_Group and do (Actions)
                    Loop - Actions
                        Set FD_Unit = (Picked unit)
                            If - Conditions
                                (Current order of FD_Unit) Not equal to (Order(channel))
                            Then - Actions
                                Unit Group - Remove FD_Unit from FD_Unit_Group
                                Unit - Remove FD_Flame_Count  from FD_Unit
                                Unit - Remove FD Refrence Array Int  from FD_Unit
                            Else - Actions
                                Unit - Increase level of FD_Flame_Count  for FD_Unit
                                Set FD_Unit_Loc = (Position of FD_Unit)
                                Set FD_Unit_Facing = (Facing of FD_Unit)
                                Set FD_Unit_Forward_Loc = (FD_Unit_Loc offset by FD_Flame_Circle_Distance towards FD_Unit_Facing degrees)
                                For each (Integer B) from 1 to FD_Flame_Circle_Amount, do (Actions)
                                    Loop - Actions
                                        Unit - Create 1 BOF SFX for (Owner of FD_Unit) at FD_Unit_Forward_Loc facing ((Facing of FD_Unit) + ((Real((Integer B))) x (360.00 / (Real(FD_Flame_Circle_Amount))))) degrees
                                        Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
                                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_FD_Unit_Forward_Loc)
                                Set FD_Unit_Forward_Loc = (FD_Unit_Loc offset by (1000.00 + (Random real number between 0.00 and 250.00)) towards (Random angle) degrees)
                                Unit - Create 1 Fire Comet for (Owner of FD_Unit) at FD_Unit_Forward_Loc facing Default building facing degrees
                                Animation - Change FD_Last_Unit's size to ((Random real number between 50.00 and 100.00)%, (Random real number between 50.00 and 100.00)%, (Random real number between 50.00 and 100.00)%) of its original size
                                Set FD_Last_Unit = (Last created unit)
                                Unit - Add FD Refrence Array Int  to FD_Last_Unit
                                Unit - Set level of FD Refrence Array Int  for FD_Last_Unit to (Level of FD Refrence Array Int  for FD_Unit)
                                Animation - Change FD_Last_Unit flying height to 20.00 at 750.00
                                Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to FD_Last_Unit
                                Unit Group - Add FD_Last_Unit to FD_Comets_Group
                                Unit - Make FD_Last_Unit face (Angle from FD_Unit_Loc to FD_Caster_Loc_Refrence[(Level of FD Refrence Array Int  for FD_Last_Unit)]) over 0.00 seconds
                                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_FD_Unit_Loc)
                                Set FD_Flame_Count = (Level of FD_Flame_Count  for FD_Unit)
                                    If - Conditions
                                        FD_Flame_Count Equal to FD_Flame_Count_End
                                    Then - Actions
                                        Unit Group - Remove FD_Unit from FD_Unit_Group
                                        Unit - Remove FD_Flame_Count  from FD_Unit
                                        Unit - Remove FD Refrence Array Int  from FD_Unit
                                    Else - Actions
            Else - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                        FD_Periodic_Timer Equal to FD_Spell_Animation_Intervals
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit Group - Pick every unit in FD_Unit_Group and do (Actions)
                            Loop - Actions
                                Animation - Play FD_Unit's spell slam animation
                    Else - Actions
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in FD_Comets_Group and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Set FD_Unit_Loc = (Position of FD_Unit)
                    If - Conditions
                        And - All (Conditions) are true
                            Conditions
                                (Current flying height of FD_Unit) Less than or equal to 25.00
                                (Current flying height of FD_Unit) Greater than or equal to 16.00
                    Then - Actions
                        Animation - Change FD_Last_Unit flying height to 0.00 at 750.00
                    Else - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                        (Current flying height of FD_Unit) Less than or equal to 10.00
                    Then - Actions
                            If - Conditions
                                (Level of Buring Comet  for FD_Unit) Equal to 0
                            Then - Actions
                                Unit - Add Buring Comet  to FD_Unit
                                Unit - Add FD Distance  to FD_Unit
                                Unit - Set level of FD Distance  for FD_Unit to (Random integer number between 80 and 100)
                                Unit - Create 1 Floor Crack for (Owner of FD_Unit) at FD_Unit_Forward_Loc facing Default building facing degrees
                                Unit - Add a 6.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
                            Else - Actions
                                Unit - Set level of FD Distance  for FD_Unit to ((Level of FD Distance  for FD_Unit) - 1)
                                Set FD_Unit_Forward_Loc = (FD_Unit_Loc offset by (Real((Level of FD Distance  for FD_Unit))) towards (Angle from FD_Unit_Loc to FD_Caster_Loc_Refrence[(Level of FD Refrence Array Int  for FD_Unit)]) degrees)
                                Unit - Move FD_Unit instantly to FD_Unit_Forward_Loc
                                Set FD_Unit_Forward_Loc = (FD_Unit_Loc offset by 50.00 towards (Angle from FD_Unit_Loc to FD_Caster_Loc_Refrence[(Level of FD Refrence Array Int  for FD_Unit)]) degrees)
                                Special Effect - Create a special effect at FD_Unit_Forward_Loc using Abilities\Weapons\AncientProtectorMissile\AncientProtectorMissile.mdl
                                Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
                    Else - Actions
                        Set FD_Unit_Forward_Loc = (FD_Unit_Loc offset by 50.00 towards (Angle from FD_Unit_Loc to FD_Caster_Loc_Refrence[(Level of FD Refrence Array Int  for FD_Unit)]) degrees)
                    If - Conditions
                        (Level of FD Distance  for FD_Unit) Less than or equal to 0
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit Group - Remove FD_Unit from FD_Comets_Group
                        Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to FD_Unit
                    Else - Actions
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_FD_Unit_Loc)

Code:
FD Values
    Events
        Time - Elapsed game time is 0.01 seconds
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set FD_Flame_Circle_Distance = 75.00
        Set FD_Flame_Circle_Amount = 12
        Set FD_Flame_Count_End = 20
        Set FD_Flame_Periodic_Interval = 20
        Set FD_Spell_Animation_Intervals = 5

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
Then its war.
Uareanoob vs Darkcahoself: Round 1

Anyways are you going to tell use more about the coding grade emljr?
Edit: This should also be stickied because its official.

MUI in GUI should count for points because it is possible to do.

ORLY? Bring it, then, Master vs Student!

>MUI in GUI should count for points because it is possible to do
Not everyone made a GUI MUI Tut, its unfair to people bad at MUI

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> Not everyone made a GUI MUI Tut, its unfair to people bad at MUI

L2J (Learn to Jass :p ).

Anyway, I'm in, just hoping to get an idea. If I'll fail at getting an idea, I might send you a PM requesting to be a judge, by when should I send you the PM (Date)?

Now the hardest part for me in spell contests, getting an idea. :)

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
A question, mylord, does balance count? Do the spell must be balanced to the regular abilites? Will it affect the grades?

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
I will probably be in. But from every spell contest I entered, my spell had a bug or didn't work. :(

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
You have two options, emjlr3:
  1. Let me enter the contest and cream everyone.
  2. Make me judge.
Which do you prefer?

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
I am in :D

>>Let me enter the contest and cream everyone.
So so easy...We have Uarenoob here. LoL

>>You must be mistaken the fact that I've already won this contest.
Refering to me? :p

@emjlr3
Please write a complete list of grading propertise, such as Coding (Mui got +points?, Jass > GUI ?), Effects(Fancy sf got +points?) and etc.

Using other people's system is allow? Such as Local Handle System...Fading system...ABC...

MoonSlinger

I Love using Cheap Tricks... only Results matters
Reaction score
I should be in... :D

Anyway, is there a balancing issue for the spell....
I got this super duper uber spell. that is insanely crazy, do I need to scale it down?

Reaction score
>Last edited by AceHart : Today at 10:48 AM. Reason: Who cares?
I do :p..

Count me in.. I probably need the one week and half of the other week to get a perfect idea ;D

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
How about unpublished spells made for a map that one day or the other will see the light of the day?

emjlr3

Reaction score
Im in.

Spells being not MUI in GUI wouldn't lose marks would it? Cause thats kind of confusing as we don't have access to locals and other stuff

MUI would be considered during coding, and you can use locals, actually
if I graded on efficiency, MUIity, readability, configurability, etc., GUI would lose points in all those areas, so taking away points simply for using GUI is out of the question

count me in :) It needs to be channeling but what happen after or before the channel is up to us right ?

are you serious.....?

A question, mylord, does balance count? Do the spell must be balanced to the regular abilites? Will it affect the grades?

no, my lady

Is there specific levels needed? Like 3 or 1, Basic, ult?

as long as it is testable, its fine

You have two options, emjlr3:
  1. Let me enter the contest and cream everyone.
  2. Make me judge.
Which do you prefer?

your trust in your friends is your weakness......your over confidence is yours.....(name that movie)

I would not jump to conclusions too fast, I have often made a spell I thought was clearly superior, and ended up getting nill votes.....guess I am not too in touch with what the "majority" is looking for

I am in :D

>>Let me enter the contest and cream everyone.
So so easy...We have Uarenoob here. LoL

>>You must be mistaken the fact that I've already won this contest.
Refering to me? :p

@emjlr3
Please write a complete list of grading propertise, such as Coding (Mui got +points?, Jass > GUI ?), Effects(Fancy sf got +points?) and etc.

Using other people's system is allow? Such as Local Handle System...Fading system...ABC...

generic gamecache, or storage, yes....

and do not think to hard about the coding, its not complicated
if I had to lay out specific guidelines on how to get a perfect score, everyone would, then there would be no point to that grading section, I might as well give everyone a 10/10 now

How about unpublished spells made for a map that one day or the other will see the light of the day?

come again?

Reaction score
>Then, we could make some ultra-Imba spell and that won't deduct our marks..?
So it was planned.. :rolleyes:.. but then comes the point "25% - aesthetics"..

ex. Global Death, kills all units instantly after caster has finished channeling. It'd be ultra-Imba, but not very good.. in a way..

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
Question :
1. Do I need to give tooltip to the ability?
2. Do we submit the map and screenshot, or just Codes and screenshot?
3. Let me get this straight, do we get less points for making it in GUI (Trigger Editor) ? The first page says that we may make it in GUI or JASS
4. 4th November at Midnight, which time zone?
5. What will happen if I make a spell, then it happens that the spell has been used or entered in any contest before without my knowledge? I never entered or even pay attention to any contest before :p Forgive me
EDIT:
6. If I have to submit the spell in Map form, can I use someone else's Spell Template? I'm too lazy for this :eek: But I can make one myself if I may not use other people's map (note that I'd just use the map)

If GUI is allowed (without less points, means it is on the same par with JASS) I'll.... reconsider to join..... just need a good idea :p

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
1. Let me guess, you prepare for the time when your ability isn't doing what it says, but is "good enough" to submit?
2. Map.
3. Show us a spell that still works if there's more than one cast of it going on at once.
4. Mine. All mine. Not yours. Never yours. Of course, if 2 weeks don't cut it, then, clearly, 2 weeks 2 hours and 42 seconds will make all the difference. Too bad.
5. Perma ban. Optionally nothing.
6. Well, strange as it may seem, but, you're somewhat supposed to work on it. There's this contest thing going on, see? That's why.

> we could make some ultra-Imba spell

Compared to... the only spell on the entire map... yeah, makes all the sense.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
OMG AceHart, your replies are kinda....... sharp-pointed :eek:you don't sound like our friendly admin, in a bad mood?

1. That doesn't answer my question, so do I need it?
2. Okay
3. My spell needs to be MUI? I thought MUI is just "a plus"
4. Okay
5. I'll be banned? But if I don't know anything about that spell? (eg that spell was long time ago before I joined)
6. Okay then, I'll make the map myself

Reaction score
@darkrae
> 1. That doesn't answer my question, so do I need it?
It just meant (probably) that it'd be retarted to have a spell without knowing what it exactly does.

> 5. I'll be banned? But if I don't know anything about that spell? (eg that spell was long time ago before I joined)
Don't take him too seriously.. :p

@AceHart
> 4. Mine. All mine. Not yours. Never yours. Of course, if 2 weeks don't cut it, then, clearly, 2 weeks 2 hours and 42 seconds will make all the difference. Too bad.
"Mine" refers to emjlr3 I suppose.

Just to add here.. Join this contest Ace :p..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.