[Contest] Tower Contest - Winner Announced

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Tower Contest

What? A contest that hasn't been thought of yet? Indeed. Well, I hope everyone is not worn out from the past few contests, because here comes another one! Yes! A tower contest!

Winner: UnknowVector

Objective

The object of this contest is to create the most innovative, ingeneous, and cunning tower possible. I want to see the imaginary, the strange, and possibly even the wacky. I just might kill anyone that submits a basic arrow tower. :rolleyes: So, pull out your real brain for this one, because it's not going to be a piece of cake!

Rules

1. Thou shalt not steal each other's work.
2. Thou may use systems in this contest.
3. Thou may code in either GUI or JASS.
4. Thou shalt be able to use imported models/textures/etc.
5. Thou shalt make thy tower testable against creeps.
6. Thou shalt not whine.
7. Thou shalt have fun.

Winnings

Yes. The meat. What do you get if you manage to complete this wondrous feat? Well, the only thing that matters on this forum. Some +rep from me personally, PurgeandFire, Daxtreme, as well as anyone else who feels so inclined. Dax will also +rep the second place.

Gradings

Grading Assistant: PurgeandFire

So, you want to know how the contest will be graded? Well, listen up!

The contest will be out of 100 points. Here's the breakdown:

Tower Art

How nice does your tower look? Does it have anything attached to the model that applies? Is it the right size? Would it fit in with other towers nicely?

Points Possible: 10

Special Effects

What do the projectiles look like? If it doesn't use projectiles, what kinds of eye candy does it have? What do its abilities look like when used? Is it noticeable?

Adhereance to Theme

Does your tower fit the contest? Would it be applicable in a Tower Defense map? Is it innovative? Does it incorporate new ideas that have never been seen before?

Points Possible: 20

Coding Efficiency

Do your tower's trigger-enhanced abilities work as intended? Are all the leaks eliminated? Is it done in the best way possible? Are there any errors?

Points Possible: 40

Balance

Does your tower have the right amount of power? Is it not just an "ownage device"? Is it actually viable in a TD map?

Implementation

Is it easy to incorporate your tower into a map? Could the common sea slug follow your instructions?

Total Points Possible: 100

Deadline: 2 Weeks From Now
Date: August 18

Entrants:

1. Ninja_sheep - Turned In
  2. Magentix - Turned In
  3. DrinkSlurm - Turned In
  4. 0zaru - Turned In
  5. elmstfreddie
  6. AoW_Hun7312 - Turned In
  7. darkchaoself
  8. PiCkstix
  9. Cornface
  10. Slapshot136 - Turned In
  11. Black Hawk - Turned In
  12. Knocksious - Turned In
  13. seph ir oth - Turned In
  14. ~GaLs~ - Turned In
  15. Exide - Turned In
  16. 1)ark_Knight
  17. Demonwrath - Turned In
  18. Überplayer
  19. Mr.Banankaka
  20. Fallen-Kid - Turned In
  21. Guest3z - Turned In
  22. master yoda - Turned In
  23. Kerberos - Turned In
  24. Monsterous - Turned In
  25. Psiblade94122 - Turned In
  26. UnknowVector - Turned In - Winner
  27. SerraAvenger

I will post a leaderboard that tracks the current entrants and their positions. It will be an Excel document. I will also post all gradings in that format, as you can see. Comments will be kept separate.

FURTHERMORE, I have been provided with a demo map created by AoW_Hun7312 that is available for anyone to download and use with their tower. All it does is give you a blank TD template in which to create your tower. Use it if you want; it is not required. Thanks AoW_Hun7312!​

Attachments

• TowerContest Entry.w3x
    19.6 KB · Views: 398
  • Tower Leaderboard.jpg
    Tower Leaderboard.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 518

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
By: Knocksious​

The Deep Freezer
Picture6.png

Picture5-1.png

So the basic idea is that you have a tower that freezes enemy creeps so that
they turn into statues of ice that, in turn, block other creeps from making it to the end of the path

This would be a low-medium to medium end tower that isn't really all that good by itself, but its fast attack speed almost guarantees a kill by it (which is what creates the statue)

By: ~GaLs~​

Blood Rush

This tower's damage it base on its hit points, the more hit point it has, the more damage it will dealt.
It will has 2 base chaos damage.
The hit point will be decrease periodicly and will be recovered when killing unit.

The coding is all by jass and it is shown in the bottom.

Let me show you the screenshot

This tower is not capatible to be upgradeable since there is not much space for this tower to be improve except increase it's hp and dmg dealt.

By: 0zaru​

Darkness Tower

Hm i am not good making description so i will copypasta the tooltip :p

Code:
A tower specialized in working with souls . it's damage may be considered low at the beggining but with each kill it gets stronger. when The Darkness Tower reaches 10 kills it cast a Death nova arround it. When the nova starts the count is restarted.                                                
 Upgrades: Use Eye

Upgrade
Code:
[UPGRADE] When you upgrade to this tower , you gain access to it's eye. Capable of seeing invisible units when activated over a desired area. And every unit that gets close to it gets slowed by the powerful presence of the eye.                                                                
       Warning When upgrading you may loss all your kills.

All attached (Screens and Tower Map)

P.S Also this is my first terrain made :p

screenie203.jpg

By: Exide​

Beam Tower

TowerContestScreenshot.jpg

By: DrinkSlurm​

Hearld of the Tides

Herald20of20the20Tides.jpg

By: seph ir oth​

The Fungus Tower!
fungustowermm6.jpg

The fungus tower raises fungi from the enemy corpses. These fungi rot the living and root enemies to the ground.

Strengths: Can hold enemies still, and even block the enemies if placed correctly!

Weaknesses: Doesn't affect air and magic immune units! Weak against magic resistant units!

By: Magentix​

Speaker System

SpeakerSystem.jpg

By: Demonwrath​

!~!^The Retribution Tower^!~!

The holiest of all towers this 'mid-game' tower packs a bunch. With a 1 second cooldown and 100-150 damage you'd think that this might not actually be worth the 200 gold you paid for it (I am using Wintermaul pricing you could say :p). Yet it will amaze you when it hits it's 10th kill!

Upon sending a 10th evil doer to the depths of hell and angel is summoned and causes 1000 damage to units inside the towers range.

Here are a few screenies:

By: Guest3z​

Sheep Tower
Thats right! It's a tower and a sheep! I've never seen a sheep tower so I thought why not. The sheep tower does 1-1 siege damage... but it has a splash of much more. The unit you attack does not get damaged much but units around him do get hurt for massive damage, and after 7 kills the sheep farm will be spawned for 2 seconds at the place of the dying unit. This tower uses NO variables so it is EXTREMLY easy to add to a map :D! And this is the only tower which requires skill to use (that I have seen) you have to target units in middle of large groups. Anyways I hope you like my tower here are some screenshots and the map.

By: Monsterous​

Shock Burster

Profile: Shock Burster
Type: Anti-Air
Pros:
Can easily eliminate Anti-Air
Automated, no need to worry about its range
Cons:
Must build the Target from the Shock Burster
If done wrong, the Shock Burster's full potential wont be utilised as well as it should be.​

The Shock Burster can have only ONE of its kind in the whole entire map owned by any player. (As of now i cannot figure out how to make multiple defenses of this kind as the variables get confused.) It does not attack, it sends shockwaves towards the target, dealing heavy damage to anything in its way. This only effects Air and NOT Ground. The distance between them is automated, as the shockwaves only reach halfway inbetween the targets before failing and being destroyed. So this can in affect go across half the whole map, utilizing its full potential. When the Shock Burster is first built, it has no attack and is a unit, capable of moving. It must first build a target of which it can attack, and then position itself somewhere and build himself, making him into attack mode. This is IRREVERSIBLE. He can be removed only by clicking the remove button on the Target.

Shock Burster eliminating the Flying Test Subjects.

Map Notes:
Near Leakless (might be some i missed)
A Few Variables
A Few Triggers for the Tower
Fun :D

By: Fallen-Kid​

Bolt Generator

WC3ScrnShot_081607_215441_012.jpg

WC3ScrnShot_081607_215754_012.jpg

Xapphire

Liberty, Simply said; a lie.
Reaction score
i got a question, say we were to make a tower, would we be allowed to make it look cool in our map, not just a buildable tower that you can always make, like add doods to it and add cool buildings to it to make it look like its part of something, or can we use the simple arrow tower model, i dont want to ask anyone to make it...

AoW_Hun7312

I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Reaction score
Looks great, if I enter, I'll probaly just use wc3's models and make a tower w/o GUI or JASS. Say, a farm modeled tower that shoots out flying sheeps at a fast rate, called "Sheep flying express" or "Sheep flying school 101" but meh :p

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
*reserving tower-idea*
I will make a tower with each attack doing a shockwave towards target.

AoW_Hun7312

I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Reaction score
i got a question, say we were to make a tower, would we be allowed to make it look cool in our map, not just a buildable tower that you can always make, like add doods to it and add cool buildings to it to make it look like its part of something, or can we use the simple arrow tower model, i dont want to ask anyone to make it...

Well look at this thing I found in his message.
Adhereance to Theme

Does your tower fit the contest? Would it be applicable in a Tower Defense map? Is it innovative? Does it incorporate new ideas that have never been seen before?
So, if you think it'll fit into a TD then I guess so

n[u]ll

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
well, I'm on vacation right now. So I won't be able to start right now, but I definately will try it out when I get back, seems like fun. Gl to all!!!

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
Hah, I just finished a very original tower and implemented it into my WIP TD.
It's in GUI and mostly MUI, but since it wasn't 100% MUI, I tried to pick up JASS and am now clunsily trying to convert the triggerwork to JASS ;)

Anyhow, If you want to see it working, i'll submit my TD's beta atm (in the hope no lamer finishes my map and calls it theirs >.> )

General tower idea:

- Doesn't have any attacks, nor do the other towers in this race: they all work on phoenix fire, tornado aura and other passive buffs.
- Can link 1/2/3 (level dependant) other towers to himself, causing the tower to copycat any linked tower's abilities, effectively granting him attacks, slows, etc... the works.
- Can dis-engage a link and link up to another tower at any given time, effectively increasing the owner's effectivity vs air, fast units, etc by copycatting the needed towers.
- If a linked unit or the tower itself dies, all links between that linked unit, or from the dying contest tower are disbanded.

On second thought, I'll make a second version of my TD containing "just" that tower so noone steals my map :x

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> i got a question, say we were to make a tower, would we be allowed to make it look cool in our map, not just a buildable tower that you can always make, like add doods to it and add cool buildings to it to make it look like its part of something, or can we use the simple arrow tower model, i dont want to ask anyone to make it...

It should probably be buildable, and I would prefer if it wasn't too big. Try not to get a whole lot bigger than Ziggurat size.

If you're in, I need a definite yes or no.

Xapphire

Liberty, Simply said; a lie.
Reaction score
Its ok mate ill stick out of it this time, trying to help with maps for a while.. ty

DrinkSlurm

Eat Bachelor Chow!
Reaction score
I'm thinking about entering, but...

1. Are we allowed to submit more than 1 tower? I have several ideas, but I'll pick my favorite one if needed.

2. I suppose that in order to properly demonstrate how our towers work, we'll need to setup a simple TD map with a spawn point, a leak point, and a few waves of creeps. Is that right?

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> Are we allowed to submit more than 1 tower? I have several ideas, but I'll pick my favorite one if needed.

I would say no. If, however, the towers had to somehow interact to achieve an effect, then you could do that.... :rolleyes:

> I suppose that in order to properly demonstrate how our towers work, we'll need to setup a simple TD map with a spawn point, a leak point, and a few waves of creeps. Is that right?

Humbug. Don't make more work for yourself. Just make some creeps walk by the tower, maybe in a path, depending on how the tower works. If you WANT to make a demo TD, be my guest, but it's not required.

DrinkSlurm

Eat Bachelor Chow!
Reaction score
OK, go ahead and sign me up. Now I just need to choose which tower idea to develop...

Humbug. Don't make more work for yourself. Just make some creeps walk by the tower, maybe in a path, depending on how the tower works. If you WANT to make a demo TD, be my guest, but it's not required.

The main reason I asked is because one of my ideas encompasses the entire path that creeps would be walking on.

Thanks.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> OK, go ahead and sign me up.

Added.

> Add me to the code grading, and say that they'll get +rep from me.

Done.

0zaru

Learning vJASS ;)
Reaction score
I Want to enter

~~Reserving Idea~~

I will make a tower that when it accumulated a certain number of kills or attacks it will cast a Death Nova

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
I think that you should mention whether or not imports (Such as effects) are/aren't allowed.

IMO, they shouldn't be allowed otherwise any one can just use an effect without doing any work. :p

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> IMO, they shouldn't be allowed otherwise any one can just use an effect without doing any work.

Can't people use the default effects without doing any work anyway?

> But you get 10 for adhering to the theme. What theme?

The tower theme. Basically staying on-task. Does it make sense as a tower?

> Count me in anyways

Added.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.