Report Courts are increasingly turning to Urban Dictionary to clarify modern slang language

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The wheels of justice move slowly sometimes, but not, apparently, as slowly as Webster’s New World Dictionary.

Slang has always been a challenge for the courts in cases that involve vulgar or insulting language. Conventional dictionaries lag the spoken word by design. That has lawyers and judges turning to a more fluid source of definitions: Urban Dictionary, a crowdsourced collection of slang words on the Internet.
The online site, created by a college freshman in 1999, has found itself in the thick of cases involving everything from sexual harassment to armed robbery to requests for personalized license plates, as courts look to discern meaning and intent in the modern lexicon.

Last month, Urban Dictionary was cited in a financial restitution case in Wisconsin, where an appeals court was reviewing the term “jack” because a convicted robber and his companion had referred to themselves as the “jack boys.”

The court noted, however, that according to Urban Dictionary, “jack” means “to steal, or take from an unsuspecting person or store.” It then rejected the convicted man’s claim that he should not have to make restitution to the owner of a van he stole to use in a robbery.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
By that logic, God is not a word.
No, it's just a made-up word. Don't twist his logic into something perverse actin' like FC.

And I hear where you're coming from, Hatebreeder - many people could have completely different definitions of the words than what's provided at Urban Dictionary, and this could end up coming back to bite an ignorant innocent in the ass.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly dont understand where you are getting that from. Even if its just a troll post i dont get it...

Coming from an old language that is evolving from a long time ago, the word "God" may actually be a spoken syllable that stands for modern-day God.

God. God. God. The more you say it, the lesser meaning it has when it's being read/spoken to someone else. The same goes for internet slang. You see it all the time.

#YOLO. #YOLO. #YOLO. yolo. YoLo. The more you see that words, it loses its original meaning, and basically made us think it's "boring" and "unoriginal" by our standards. It can be derived to say, #YOLO means something particular, mostly in regards to stupidity and recklessness.

The way Internet slang works is that, if by according to the above assumption, one were to see a word a hundred thousand others have said before, it will lose its original meaning.

----------------------------------------------

Going back to why judges are using Urban Dictionary to look up internet slangs, is because with daily usage, they lose their meaning, the same way God works like a syllable in the English language, and by the consciousness in which seeing "unoriginal" stuffs will get us turned off from it.

Which, I would say, by your logic that "all words are made-up", yes. God is not a word to begin with since a long time ago. It is a word, among other words, that describe a particular thing. It is a word that, if said like "Oh God." or "God dammit", it is in the process of losing its meaning.

-----------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure I'm flawed.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You are mixing up the idea of god and the word god. The latter is made up. Every language has its own word for the same meaning. You can describe the former in many different ways.

If i told you that every time i say "qwerty" i actually mean the same thing as you do when you say "god", then i could talk with you about qwerty and whether qwerty exists or not.
The word qwerty itself is just made up, but the actual matter, which is supposed to be described by the word, is not.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
You are mixing up the idea of god and the word god. The latter is made up. Every language has its own word for the same meaning. You can describe the former in many different ways.

If i told you that every time i say "qwerty" i actually mean the same thing as you do when you say "god", then i could talk with you about qwerty and whether qwerty exists or not.
The word qwerty itself is just made up, but the actual matter, which is supposed to be described by the word, is not.

So, "qwerty" feels like a slang term for meaning something vague for others, like me, to follow.

Aren't slang terms used to describe something?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Every word is used to describe something. Thats why we invented language.
Qwerty just means whatever we currently want it to be. So does any word. We can define them as we please.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.