Sci/Tech Curiosity has discovered organic matter on Mars

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
The Curiosity rover has found and analysed the first definitively identified piece of organic matter on the surface of Mars.

These organic molecules, consisting primarily of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms, are the building blocks of all life on Earth. However, it is important to note that these molecules may not have come from life forms on Mars -- organic molecules can be created from chemical processes that do not involve life, NASA said. At this stage, there is not enough evidence to determine the provenance of the molecules -- but either way, their presence has meaning.

The team responsible for Curiosity's Sample Analysis at Mars instrument suite have several hypotheses. The first is, of course, a biological process. Others include chemical reactions in water at ancient hot springs on the Red Planet, or arrival from off-planet via dust, meteorites, asteroids or comets.

Recently, Curiosity found evidence of dry river and lake beds on Mars -- of surface water on the planet -- such as minerals that can only form in the presence of liquid water, and erosion patterns formed by sediment deposited by water flows. This indicates that, billions of years ago, conditions on Mars could have supported life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would i be a big suprise that we find carbon, hydrogen or oxygen? Those are some of the least rare atoms in the solar system.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Why would i be a big suprise that we find carbon, hydrogen or oxygen? Those are some of the least rare atoms in the solar system.
It's a bit more than that, they found organic molecules normally thought to be produced only by nature. Well, at least not normally produced outside of life here on earth. It's a pretty nice finding that helps point us towards the truth behind our origins (I hope).

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it is well known that these molecules must not have necessarily been produced by life forms.
organic molecules can be created from chemical processes that do not involve life
Even the article says it.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Didn't we find organic molecules on Mars a decade or so ago? What are these, just... more?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
The article says these are proven to be organic molecules from Mars. Maybe the ones before were thought to be but not with 100% certainty.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.