Disconnects at beginning of game

T

tsbergman

I am starting to experience a problem I have never seen in several years of playing ROC on battlenet. A game loads and starts and my system pauses for a second or two and then displays Disconnected. I also notice that there are pink and black checkerboard boxes like one sees in WorldEdit for cinematic affects. I first saw this with the DanitesHell 2 Beta but have since had it happen even on a trusty old Dota 3.7b game today. Occasionally I have seen the pink and black boxes on other maps but did not get the disconnect. Its quite rare but happens.

Is it time to reinstall ROC or is something else causing this problem?

12/18/06 Update.

Just happened again. I finished a HLW ROC 3.0 game with no problem and then jump into Dota 3.7 PROS only (I am going to get banned soon, I can feel it) and just as the players load and the maps shows I get to pick my hero, I see the pink and black boxes and I get a disconnected message after a few seconds!. This behavior might have started about the same time I started playing HLW ROC 3.0. I wonder if they are connected?

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
It can be several things. Your internet connection provider has technical difficulties ('lagg'-strips)/ your router has problems (if you have one)/ your internet card is damaged or the game itself errors. If reinstalling doesn't help, try checking your router and the above mentioned.
Also, the problem can be a 'laggy' host. In that case, all the players should get disconnected, if the host leaves. (Tough, if there is another player, who can host, people won't get disconnected, if the 'real' host leaves).

T

tsbergman

Thanks Andrewgosu. Those are good things to know about.

I am beginning to become certain it is the ROC HLW (ROC Hero Line Wars) 3.0 game. If I always quite WC3 after play HLW and then join games I seem to be okay. HLW seems to have some side affect in W3C. I can play HLW back to back to back with no problems but if I join something different after then I tend to see the problem. I will update this thread with more results as I find them.

BTW, I chatted with a host after getting dropped (to apologize) and the game was definitely still going. Therefore, I know that it wasn't me that dropped. Also, the network, router and host causes shouldn't create the black and pink checkered boxes , right?

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
One possibility is that HLW3 is optimized with a tool known as Widgetizer, some options with the widgetizer makes wc3 unstable if you play another game (and another map) after you've played a map that is widgetized with those options.
If HLW3 is widgetized then a simple restart of wc3 after a HLW3 game should solve all problems.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Also, the network, router and host causes shouldn't create the black and pink checkered boxes , right?

They shouldn't. The fault can lie in the warcraft registry. Reinstalling the game should* fix it.

*If it doesn't, you may want to contact the blizzard's online support.

Also, I found a official warcraft troubleshoot, for one who has trouble staying connected or connecting Battle net.

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=awr0222p

T

tsbergman

Quiting and restarting ROC does fix the problem. Should I still reinstall it? I will have to hunt down my keys again. Sigh!

G

g1real

I've had a problem with P A R A S I T E once where (I was the host) started a game with full house, and then I splitted up from the rest, leaving me alone. I restarted wc3 but that didn't help, restarted my comp and it seems it got fixed. It was very weird, never had it before. Tought I should share it, but the pink boxes are mostly texture errors, aren't they, shouldn't that be RAM problems?

And the widgetizer is something I heard of too... It's with some maps, I think I had that too :D.

T

tsbergman

I've never had the problem hosting. I mostly host HLW and join Dota. Dota is always hosted by someone so why host my own (except to get really good responsiveness from my hero). I've only seen the problem when I join someone else's game. I have not tried hosting DOTA after a HLW game. Not sure I want to experiment either.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
And the widgetizer is something I heard of too... It's with some maps, I think I had that too :D.
Yea, it's a common tool. And very useful, it's only two of the options that causes this bug and this is mentioned in the documentation.

KNOWN ISSUES

When you play a different map after having played a widgetized map you get checkered boxes instead
of doodads?
This is a problem caused by the bad loading system that Blizzard made for Warcraft III. Unfortunately
I can't fix Blizzard's bugs, so if that matters to you simply exclude doodads and destructables
from the conversion process.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.