Science Discovery of 2 more moons brightens Pluto supporters

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Amid the debate over whether Pluto is big enough to be called a planet, Hubble Space Telescope astronomers said Monday that they've spotted two previously unknown moons there.

Until now, Charon was Pluto's only known moon. The new moons surfaced in three days of Hubble observations in May.

"This is a whole new chapter in the Pluto story," said discovery team co-leader Alan Stern of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colo. The moons, which don't yet have formal names, also were spotted when Hubble scientists reviewed 2002 Pluto observations made by Lowell Observatory astronomer Marc Buie.

Pluto has been caught up in debate over its status as a planet in recent months before an International Astronomical Union committee. Its detractors say it's too small and the discovery of more moons won't affect its status, said Stern, who is on the committee. Mercury and Venus have no moons.

Last edited:

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
Then they should explain the irregular orbits of Uranus and Neppy.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
I think they should be called OMG H4X! :D and 1337 Can't See ME! :p

THey'll probly be called something stupid like Xepthus and Ghrthog

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
for some reason I read the post title as being "Discovery of 2 more morons...." and wondered how that was news...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.