Sci/Tech Ellen Pao Resigns as Reddit Interim CEO After User Revolt

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Ellen Pao resigned as interim chief executive officer of Reddit Inc. after a user revolt at the online forum.

Steve Huffman, a Reddit co-founder, is taking over as CEO, the San Francisco-based company said Friday. Huffman, chief technology officer at the travel startup Hipmunk Inc., has had no official role for several years at Reddit.

“First, I’m super excited. Second I am terrified,” Huffman said in an interview.

Pao apologized earlier this week to the Reddit community after a mass online protest over the firing of Victoria Taylor, who staffed a popular feature. Pao has faced vitriol from Reddit users who called for her firing.

The uproar didn’t spur the management change, which was a “mutual decision over a number of weeks,” Sam Altman, a Reddit board member, said in an interview.

Pao, who will remain an adviser to the board through the end of the year, also called the decision mutual.

“We had different views in the potential growth rate in users for Reddit this year,” she said in an interview. “We couldn’t come to an agreement on that and I decided to step down.”

Read more here. (Bloomberg)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.