First Official Blizzard Battle.net Forums MVP

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
First Official Blizzard Battle.net Forums MVP

So we skip ahead a little here. Past the Diablo days and the Open Tech Support Channel, and into Starcraft. The Tech Support forums were very dry. People were still playing Diablo but patches to the game and patches to Windows were making Diablo a very stable game. The Packard Hell problem was still there but I digress :)

Starcraft comes out and the Tech Support Forum is bumping. People are having problems. Some serious issues have come about and thousands are not being able to play. Blizzard Tech Support is all over it but they only have there working hours and hundreds of questions are unanswered. However, if people would have just read the forums for a second they would find there question already answered. That is where I came in. I did not even have the game :)

I could tell by the question what the answer was. Using bookmark I just saved Pat N's posts and started reposting all the Blizzard answers to the questions I knew and asked for more information the ones I did not giving them the support email addresses, the Open Tech Support Channel on Battle.net, just driving traffic. It was on again.

There are serious lags between Blizzard games. They spend lots of times developing stuff and alot of times people do not wait in between. Most of the Helpers were not there anymore and the ones that were still around were not paying attention. On the Starcraft release I came out all barrels blazing. I remember the forum was overrun, I started at the top and started answering every question. A Blizzard guy started at the bottom and we met in the middle. It was funny because neither of us knew the other was there and we just ran into each other, but every question was answered, then we went to Page 2 and did the same thing and I was handling the new posts. Remember, I did not even have the game, never played it. The right thing to do at the right time, if I did not know the answer I gave the support email, what to ask for, and the Open Tech Support Channel on Battle.net if they could get there (cut and paste) it was awesome. I was better than there own tech support, they knew it and I did not even have the game.

That is when I got the call. Blizzard had my number from when they hunted me down before (have not posted that story yet but I was in contact with Blizzard) and this time the guy that called me was a vice president. Unfortunately do not know his name and we got to talking and I told him, you do know I do not even have this game, have not played it. He said Holy Shit! You need the game, we will send it to you, and then he asked has even anyone talked to you about other stuff, like offered you a job? That is when I made my mistake. I told him I was a programmer not a tech support guy and could not afford California living (I was told a tech support job was available in the past but I had to apply and come down to cali, this one was a solid offer now though, by the vice president of the company, and I declined on the phone with him, big mistake, did not even take a day to think about it). He said what can we do for you besides that. I said well, what you can really do for me is let me have an account or something so I cannot get impersonated. I told him my impersonation experience and he recognized that as important and I said give me something by name so they can tell it is me. The next day, MVP icon by the name. Birth of the MVP. He also sent me Starcraft, Shirts, Stickers and a bunch of other stuff. It was Awesome!!! I was a Blizzard MVP. People tried to put Ascii characters by there name to get the Red MVP. It was crazy. The forums had tons of people with broken HTML trying to get the Red Text by there name but it did not work. I was MVP and the post limit was lifted from me, as long as I used my same computer. They still did not have user accounts and did it all by cookies. :)

Here is an Archive.org post about my explanation of what the MVP stood for at the time. It was part of my FAQ LOL!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.