Fix for some with the Dump-to-Desktop bug

U

Unregistered

Ok guys, this solved my problem where I clicked on the shortcut to launch the game, the game screen would come up for a couple seconds, then I would get dumped back to the desktop.

Go to C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings

edit the VideoDefault.con file in there using Wordpad or Notepad.

Here's the important line:

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

change this line to read

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1

Save the file, re-start the game....voila! Should work.

My guess is that with the value set to 0, it didn't like the fact that the vertical refresh rate of my system was set to 85hz. So, by changing the value to 1, it would accept any refresh rate.

Enjoy!

U

Unregistered

I dont have a "mods" folder...but I do have a

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Settings folder...

and in there is videodefault.con but the renderer.allowAllRefreshRates line of text was not in there... tryed adding it and making it 1 and it still didn't work

Report this post

U

Unregistered

thanks, my game works now. you alone have already proved more helpful than EA's technical support and their online help file combined.

U

Unregistered

I'm glad my fix helped some of you. I see that some of you don't have the line in the VideoDefault.con file regarding the refresh rate. The only thing I can think of is that you don't have the "Road to Rome" expansion pack, or maybe not even the 1.31 patch.

All I know is that I bought the original game and the R2R expansion pack the same day, installed both, then downloaded the 1.31 patch and installed that.

It was then that I started my debugging process to try to resolve my problem. So if you don't have the R2R pack and the 1.31 patch, I suggest you add get them first before trying my fix.

Btw, after I came up with my fix, I discovered a really awesome BF1942 tweaking guide, that includes the fix I found. I wish I had read this before I even installed the game. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=420

U

Unregistered

Hi all,

I may have figured out everyone's problems (hopefully).
NOTE: I'm only using the Demo.
Here's what i did.

1) installed the new NVIDIA driver (not from your video card manufacturer)
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

I also did this (but i suspect had no effect)
1) installed VIA 4-in-1 driver (chipset update for motherboard)
2) installed DirectX 9.0a
3) installed Demo patch.

Not only did the game run....but i was also able to crank up the video details far above what they were before.

I'm running in Win2000.
AMD 1Gig
AOPEN PA256 Geforce2 MX

U

Unregistered

dumping to desk

One reason the game will dump to desk when loading the game is if there is nothing to load. Maybe you are using the wrong disk, try using the first disk but let the autorun program take off from the disk and then hit play. It could be this simple!!!!

U

Unregistered

Many thanks

Just dropping in to confirm this refresh fix worked for me and likely will for many others. Many thanks to you.

U

Unregistered

hi, i treied thhat and it still dosent work.... my refreshrate is 100.

U

Unregistered

i got the "fix" off ea's tech support (i also downloaded 1.31 patch) and it still doesn't work

nvidia geforce4 440mx 64mb ddr
(most recent driver installed)

if you have some other way of fixing this annoyance, please email me at [email protected], or crihsagnlel on aim/yahoo.

U

Unregistered

I tried the patch and all the new drivers and still couln'd get it to work. I downloaded and installed DirectX9 and it worked like a charm for me. It even got a couple of other games running that I have had problems with.

U

Unregistered

Tried all of these things and still no luck. If i don't [atch the game it's fine. As soon as i try to patch it it dies. Tries to start...black screen..drops to desktop. WHen i try to launch it from the cd. IT then comes back and tells me to eject and reinsert the cd and try again. WHich ofcoarse I do. Again it fails. So I change Cd drives as have three in my case.....still no luck. One last try i have another cd drive lying around so i try that one..................F**K still no luck. Help any body this is the error i get when i try to start it from the shortcut on mydesktop
Version BF1942 (Ver:26087/2002-08-30, 10:43)
Log created 2003/06/16:18.02d
--------------------------

SystemInfo:
-----------

Cpu:
Running on AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2600+ at 2033 MHz
Supports AMD 3DNow
Supports MMX

Renderer:
Number of adapters:1
Adapter:0
Driver:nv4_disp.dll
Description:ASUS V7700 Ti SDRAM v43.45D
Product:6 Build:4345
DriverVersion:14:1
VendorId:4318 DeviceId:337 Revision:164
FullScreen Mode
24:8 bit depth buffer
supports pure d3d device. validVersion:0 getSupportedMaxVertexShaderConstants():0 m_d3dCaps->mMinVertexShaderConstants:96
D3D Present parameters
m_d3dpp.BackBufferWidth 800
m_d3dpp.BackBufferHeight 600
m_d3dpp.BackBufferFormat 22
m_d3dpp.BackBufferCount 1
m_d3dpp.SwapEffect 1
m_d3dpp.hDeviceWindow 002D01A8
m_d3dpp.Windowed 0
m_d3dpp.EnableAutoDepthStencil 1
m_d3dpp.AutoDepthStencilFormat 75
m_d3dpp.Flags 0
m_d3dpp.FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz 60
m_d3dpp.FullScreen_PresentationInterval 2147483648
Debug asertion failed!

Module:
File:
Line: 0

Text: warning :Shaders/Sprite vertex shader not created

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED
Signed going insane

U

Unregistered

Hey i have the same problem but I dont get the error i try to start the game get the first splash screen and goes black get an error beep and I sit at the desktop, ???? what can i do?

U

Unregistered

Just wanted to let you all know that I had the same exact problem as many people have had with this game. The game would just randomly crash to the desktop whether being in the game or at the loading screen. I tried everything, two straight weeks of nothing but troubleshooting. I am running a Pentium 4 2 Ghz. processor with 512mb ram, a NVIDIA GeForce 2 video card, and a SoundBlaster Live sound card. Why the hell this game won't behave properly had become beyond my scope. Well, I decided hell, i'm tyring a different video card (which I was skeptical about, being I've read some postings in here saying that changing the video card didn't help them)....well, I tried slappin in my roommates GeForce 4 and walllahhhhhhhh, PRESTO, ITS MAGIC, ITS WORKING ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!!! No problems what so ever, seems as if my video card may be damaged!! Yours could be too!!!!!

Jason

U

Unregistered

I have the same problem where I applied the nvidia refresh rate fix and set my rez to 1182 x 864 @ 100mhz . I changed the variable in

VideoDefault.con to renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1

and the game still crashes as soon as I see the BF1942 screen. I have installed the game from the orgional CD I bought some time ago and I applied the BF1942 1.4 patch.

Specs:

p4 2.53

1 gig DDR ram pc3200

GF FX5900

WinXP Pro + Service Pack 1

U

Unregistered

I posted the above post. I got it to work perfectly by uninstalling the nvidia refresh rate fix and setting my rez @ 60

I would love to be able to use the fix and have my settings @ 100mhz because CS looks so much better like that. Please help if you know anything I could try.

U

Unregistered

i had a problem when i would start the game it would load the map and the second the game started it woyld dump me back to desktop. this was a direct result of my via 4 in 1 driver.
i updated it and have ben 100% cool ever sence!

U

Unregistered

fix

Make sure VIA 4in1 drivers are installed. Will correct problem all updates. :)

D

Duster

possible solution to dumping

I was having the same problem with dumping to the desktop when the game was just starting up. A friend had been messing with my monitor's driver and other things to get DOD to work for me. In the process, 1942 started doing the dumping where it had been working fine before. I thought it HAD to be something related to changing to XP which we had also recently done. My son has a system exactly like mine except we had to replace his monitor. 1942 worked just fine on his. We moved his monitor to my computer and the game stopped dumping because we changed the driver to the default driver and it worked. I don't know if all this makes sense to you...I have a basic idea on most stuff but this is about stretching my limit. Let me know if you need more info.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.