Game Crew

G

guitarplay

wow, this is great news. Now that we have a programmer i would like to realy get started.

as said by robust chum, we need to get the 2d art going.

please check the opening post in this thread for the link to the other websight.

now id like to get a few versions of of the main menue done. Then we can decide which is the best and have you guys split up making other menues from that idea.

whitesock, Jindo, kadgar, w/e you are signed up for 2d art. id like to have 3 ideas to choose from. Again wee will need:
bg image for behind menue,
load campaign
new campaign
exit
credits
high scores
****each button a seperate image i belive, so you cant have one file with all 5 buttons in it****

after we get that done, post it in the 2d art section of the websight, il make a thread for u guys. Then we will get the other menues underway.

as for modeling im still finishing up the archer. ive been realy busy, but i think i can get that done today (not animations yet). Then il get to work on the knight, maby some weapons, but i allready have robust chum working on some of the weapons.

now, tongil, we realy do appreciate your help and without it we would be going nowhere. I need to talk to you about how were gonna get this started. first things first i think we should get the simple menue working once we have them done go from there. I told them to make buttons seperate from everything and i think thats how it works but im not exactly sure. i will pm you.

Reaction score
Well Guitarplay, I' sitting free, as I do not know what models do you need.

I can make some kind of creature (Monster perhaps?) or human, doesn't matter, all I need is to know:

How detailed it must be (Around how many polygons, or how should it look like- Like in Warcraft or like in TES: Oblivion?)
Do I have to texture it myself?
Do I need to make animations?

Also, RobustChum, I still get
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

You do not have permission to view this board

Is this as it should be?

G

guitarplay

ok, now about monsters. sry forgot to assign something to ya. Is there any way you could modle like a lo poly peasnt/peasents. Im keeping the game low poly for now. Dont wory bout animations or textures yet. Then make some creeps. Like undead, possessed, goblins/orcs

those are some things to work on. Doesent matter the order realy. When your done with one, start the next or somehting.

T

tongli

Just a few comments

Hey guys , i want you to think about these facts :

I see a lot of enthusiasm here amd i think it's great , but you have to face that to make a game you'll need other skills , first of all ORGANIZATION.
The worst thing to see is thrown away effort of many people only because there's no plan to guide the team.
I see you have started to make models , of what ? A goblin , a skeleton , ok that's fine but with no direction because guitarplay has created a concept and nothing more . The idea may and must be developed at a deeper level , so to create a style of the game , are you artists , isn't it ? If you can feel the game its mood and theme you can create more inspired models and than a better game even if low poly .
My suggestion is to slow down a bit and reorganize the team who makes what , dividing people in groups , fix all kinds of stuff such as ,we will use blender for modelling or maya ? We will need an exporter ? What are the features of this game ? What is it's gameplay ? And there are a lot more .
I tell you all these things not to be negative , but because :

a) i partecipated at projects wich failed for these reasons

b) Just to give you an idea , at my University i taken an exam in game programming and to develop only 3 levels of a third person detective/police action game , with some kind of quests , with the Torque engine library , took us 5 months and we were 20 programmers .

c) Time : Even with a estabilished technology , it will take YEARS to finish it , and when i say FINISH i say from the presentation to the credits , have you the dedication , the time and the will to work to such a large project ? (think...)

If you look around you can see a lot of not finished projects , why add another one ?

I know the reality is crude but i want you to succeeded with or without my help , it doesn't matter , i don't want to convince anyone and you are and must be free to follow yuor dream , however think about it .

Last i want throw in some throw in some ideas , for example :

1) Why don't create a 2D game instead of a 3D game ? It's scope and resources are smaller and you can put your effort in such things like sound ?

2) Why don't create a website for the project with it's forum, where all members of the team can go to look for news , updates , etc , and where
people can feel at home ?

I hope i have thrown some light on the possible pitfalls you can encounter ,
bye Tongli.

G

guitarplay

I appreciate your ideas and:

a) as of now your right, there isnt much "direction" fow now i just have the artists work on art, and modlers workin on models. I should probably get this more organized and will work to do so.

b/c)i would like to think we can get this finished, maby not as large of a game as we have planned but some sort of game. We can shorten the quests, amount of modles, levels and so on. If this project fails which it shouldent hopefully, i think all those who have participated will have gained something from it any ways. I personaly would like to make this game however it is doing a lot for my modeling skills.

1)I could make a simple 2D game i guess, i may even be able to program if i took the time to learn gui. Also i want to make a 3D game because i am in fact a modler. I have realised that sound is going to be a problem and any suggestions on how to get it all accomplished is helpfull (ie, online libraries of sound)

2)We have some sort of websight for now but i guess we should make a nicer one, one that is not just forums.

I am considering all of it and thank you for suggestions. I will get to work on the websight, and get some direction for this game.

T

tongli

Proposal

Here it is :

Why we put together our efforts to make this game real and finished ?
We can co-lead the development of this game and seeing how much passion you and the other artists are putting in this project i think it'll be a cool game ;)

I can lead the programming team and manage the tech-side of the project while you as the lead artist can manage the modellers , etc .
Together we can decide all the stuff needed to complete the project , its scope , quests , levels , design , etc .
Remeber that programming and modelling are linked together , because not all you can model can be rendered and not all i can program can be modelled , there are limits and these limits have to be planned carefully .

You see , my goal is to break in the industry and open my company so i strongly motivated in doing an excellent job .
So if you want to walk with me in this path , let me know and please send me an email so and a conact on MSN or whatever you use so we can communicate more effectively :
Are you ready to rock ?

Bye Tongli.

PS : i have a website we can use to put our stuff and create a private forum for our team .

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Sounds to me that you have 1 1/2 programmer with 10-15 model/computer artists. Start lookin for more programmers!

I would say "count me in", but I honestly couldn't find the time to help code a huge game, especially if you only have 1 other guy that has good experience with C++.

I'm sorry, but a warcraft forum would not be the place to turn to for this. Maybe your friends at school...?

G

guitarplay

ok, im fine co leading. You didnt see my first post. It was somehwhat of a laugh. I hat no plot, no idea, no models, nothing. I said, hey lets make a game. What do ya know, we are. For me, i was "overseeing" everything i guess but i try to be part of an overall team reather than just lead it. Now, i was tryin to send u an email, but you have it blocked on your account here, so... if you wanna send that to me or something, im

[email protected]
[email protected]
or
thedude1424 on aim

now, i like the idea of the 2 swords crossing eacother as the background but i thought it was to cartoony for a 3d game however it would make a good icon, so i made this. Also if they arnt to high poly, there preety sweet sword models.

now i know the sheild i kinda dull, but if anyones interested, i need a bump map for the sheild. If you are gonna do it, tell me and il send you a uv map to work of (itl be a simple uv map) basicaly i want a cool design in the middle of the sheild and maby some bolts around the edges. maby some designs for the sword as well.

T

tongli

Game Project

Hi guys , if any of you want to join a game project let me know at Tongli with info about your skills , like 3D modeller or 2D texture artists , so we can find your role in it.

Actually i have gathered 4 developers plus me , we soon need creative people to make art , design and create a Team .

Bye Tongli.

G

guitarplay

ok guys seeing as this has not gone far and we realy have not seemd to do much to get this game started i have decided we are going to revise the plot and start over. We will be organized, we will have our own websight.

http://www.transylvaniangames.byethost5.com/phpBB2/index.php

If you are interested in continuing where we left off, go ahead and sign up under the team. I will talk to him about the name, im not realy liking it right now, but i must say the curse was the best we came up with. If you have more ideas talk to him as will I.

for now wee need quests, creeps, names, ideas, plot revision.

email me at
[email protected] with any ideas. There are gonna be some changes.

after we get the plot all worked out and near perfect comes the concept art, storyboards, model ideas and so forth. Finaly we start working on models, the 2d artists go aheand and start menues loading screns icons then finaly skins.

All throughout the coding will be set up. Please as many ideas no matter how outrageous they are.

a lot is going on now a lot of transition. This game will take a good amount of time to finish but please we need as many people as we can get to work on it throughout its entirety.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
If I have a sudden surge about my modeling skills maybe I would help. But probley not. I don't put faith in my programing ethier.

here ya might want to look over there, though unless you personaly and the rest of the programers have some background the people over there probley won't want to get involved.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.