General George Takei petitions against all-white casting choices for Akira adaptation

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Following on from the controversy surrounding the all-white casting of Exodus: Gods and Kings, legendary Star Trek actor and King of the Memes George Takei has spoken out against the proposed casting choices for the American adaptation of popular anime Akira.
It was reported last month by Deadline that the cast choices included Robert Pattinson (Twilight), Andrew Garfield (The Amazing Spider-Man) and James McAvoy (X-Men: Days of Future Past) for Testuo and Garrett Hedlund (TRON: Legacy), Michael Fassbender (X-Men: Days of Future Past), Chris Pine (Horrible Bosses 2), Joaquin Phoenix (Her) and Justin Timberlake (Friends with Benefits) for Kaneda.

“The manga and anime phenomenon is mostly white in this country,” he told The Advocate, speaking out against the casting. “It originated in Japan, and, of course, it has a huge Asian fan following. But it’s the multi-ethnic Americans who are fans of Akira and manga. The idea of buying the rights to do that and in fact change it seems rather pointless. If they’re going to do that, why don’t they do something original, because what they do is offend Asians, number 1; number 2, they offend the fans.”

“The same thing happened with M. Night Shyamalan,” he continues. “He cast [The Last Airbender] with non-Asians and it’s an Asian story, and the film flopped. I should think that they would learn from that, but I guess big studios go by rote, and the tradition in Hollywood has always been to buy a project, change it completely and flop with it. I think it’s pointless, so I thought I would save Warner Bros. a bit of failure by warning them of what will most likely happen if they continue in that vein.”

Read more here. (Flickering Myth)

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Blame the author of that article. Some people mentioned that the author goes a bit overboard sometimes...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.