Sci/Tech Google's self-guided car could drive the next wave of unemployment

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Almost without noticing it, our world crossed a significant threshold last week. Jerry Brown, the governor of California, signed into law a bill that will allow driverless cars on to his state's roads from 2015. Insofar as most people noticed this event at all, they probably sniffed derisively. For some, it'll be seen as an example of techno-hubris – "flags on the moon stuff" – as one of my acquaintances put it. For others, it will be seen as yet another confirmation of the proposition that the continental United States slopes gently from east to west, with the result that everything with a screw loose rolls into California.

Governor Brown signed the bill at Google's HQ in Mountain View. This was good PR on his part, but it also made sense because Google has led the charge into autonomous (aka driverless) vehicles. For several years, Toyota Prius hybrids that have been specially adapted by the company's engineers have been driving the roads of California. To date, they have logged 300,000 miles with only one accident – caused by a human-controlled car that ran into one of them. And they have now logged 50,000 miles without a human having to take the wheel.

At the ceremony in Mountain View, Google's co-founder, Sergey Brin, announced the company's intention to bring autonomous vehicles to the market in five years. In a pre-emptive attack on critics, he pointed out that autonomous vehicles would be significantly safer than human-controlled ones. That seems plausible to me: 40,000 people are killed every year in road accidents in the US and many, if not most, of those are caused by human error. "This has the power to change lives," Brin said. "Too many people are underserved by the current transport system. They are blind, or too young to drive, or too old, or intoxicated." He also argued that manual operation of cars was inefficient: autonomous vehicles could make better use of the road and reduce the size of car parks by fitting into smaller areas than humans could get them into.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds both interesting and terrifying.
I like the idea of living in the times when science fiction becomes science reality.
But something inside of me doesnt like the idea of letting a computer decide my fate.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I've seen it all before, and Still not impressed.
with only one accident – caused by a human-controlled car that ran into one of them.
That's Just bullshit

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
The only questions i have are:
1). How much more are these going to cost?
2). How much faster are they going to break apart?

Electronics and computers are fragile, much more fragile then simple mechanics in the "old" cars.
My mom had an old car some years ago which she drove for 13 years. Thats a long long time.
Her new car, with all those fancy electronics and computers and stuff, only lasted for about 3 years and then it got all kinds of issues. One of the door-locks didnt work correctly anymore.
The computer was giving wrong information about the brakes, it always said the brakes are damaged although they were brand new.
It had some weird issues with the automatic transmission, one gear didnt work anymore.
Etc, etc.

Just imagine how much trouble you are going to have with all those additional hardware and software. It will be like an annual trip to the garage.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
The only questions i have are:
1). How much more are these going to cost?
2). How much faster are they going to break apart?

1. Link.
  2. It may require a few software technicians and a few car auto repair workers to estimate the time it takes to break apart a Google car, otherwise it's just a PC embedded into the car somewhere (in the front, in the back, or in the seats).

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
  1. Link.
  2. It may require a few software technicians and a few car auto repair workers to estimate the time it takes to break apart a Google car, otherwise it's just a PC embedded into the car somewhere (in the front, in the back, or in the seats).
I think there is a little bit more then just a pc. Somehow the car needs to "see" and "hear" things going on around it.
Many sensors are needed to fully capture everything that is going on around the car, thats some sensitive stuff.
And a car isnt like your desk. Its parked outside. In rain. In snow. In the summer heat. It could be hit by something in an accident.
Computer stuff can be broken easily, and its expensive.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen it all before, and Still not impressed.
That's Just bullshit
Can you elaborate on that? Do you think it's more likely that a computer with close to perfect information and super fast reaction times was the one at fault? To me, it just seems reasonable that after driving these cars for so long, there's bound to be another car(driven by a human) that does something wrong.

FireCat

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that? Do you think it's more likely that a computer with close to perfect information and super fast reaction times was the one at fault?.
Yes and why not?

Hmm This is a pretty interesting article

Google's self-driving wreck: Really human error?
Google's famed self-driving Prius is involved in a fender bender. The company insists a human was driving, but doesn't declare that this was human error. So what might really have happened?

When a self-driving car crashes, one just has to wonder about those robots. Are they really all they're cracked up to be? Or might they be just as cracked as the rest of us? Should you have, this morning, been unreasonably detained by aggressive machines, may I tell you that Google's famed, futuristic, liberating, and ultimately superhuman machine, the self-driving Prius, was involved in a fender bender. What seems evident from shots of the scene is that Google's robot machine ran into the back of another Prius. You might think that it was on robotic autopilot and this was some sort of mating ritual.

Read Moar Here.

Like you see there's still some doubt about the accident. And isn't it strange they don't really want to tell what really happened. eh?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Just imagine how much trouble you are going to have with all those additional hardware and software. It will be like an annual trip to the garage.

honestly, I doubt the computer hardware/software will have issues - it would all consist of non-moving parts, which tend not to get damaged - most computers start having issues when the temperature reaches around 100º C, which is way hotter than what a car will reach during the summer, and won't have any extra issues with the cold either - and that is for regular home computers, industrial computers have much more rigorous standards. the software would need to be fairly modular and well-written, but that isn't impossible to do either, and can have plenty of self-checks

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
And they can afford liquid helium cooling anyway.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
And they can afford liquid helium cooling anyway.

the cost of a car is around 20k, an extra $500 can get a pretty decent computer, + another $500 for sensors, and you have a 1k upgrade - about as much as an extra inch on the wheels would cost?

the programming would probably be sponsored by governments who want to see more efficient traffic on roads, less accidents, less need for police patrols, etc.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
the cost of a car is around 20k, an extra $500 can get a pretty decent computer, + another $500 for sensors, and you have a 1k upgrade - about as much as an extra inch on the wheels would cost?

the programming would probably be sponsored by governments who want to see more efficient traffic on roads, less accidents, less need for police patrols, etc.
In the article it says the cars cost about $300000.
[...]
the massive array of sensors Google has to install in its cars alone costs $250,000 or more.
[...]

Have a look at that sensor on top of the car and tell me there is no way it could get damaged within a year of use:
googles-self-driving-car.jpg

And with that price, you dont want anything to happen.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
No wonder! The car itself is categorized as a concept car.

FireCat

Reaction score
"BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" In the Middle of the Highway. Just saying

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.