Report Growing Up Poor Affects Adults' Sense of Control, Impulsiveness When Faced with Economic Uncertainty

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Newswise — WASHINGTON - Growing up poor can influence people's sense of control and in turn may lead them to more impulsive decision-making and quickly give up on challenging tasks in uncertain situations, according to new research published by the American Psychological Association.

"Two people with different childhood backgrounds are likely to respond to uncertainty in different ways, even if as adults they have a similar socioeconomic status (SES). We found that adults who grew up poor were more inclined to consider difficult and uncertain living conditions as beyond their control, while those from affluent backgrounds found them to be within their control. This leads to different reactions to the same situation," said lead author Chiraag Mittal, MS, a doctoral student at the University of Minnesota.

Differing perceptions of control affected whether people were able to postpone a reward, with people from poorer backgrounds behaving more impulsively in uncertain situations than those from wealthy families, the research found. In addition, after recalling personal financial hardship and then asked to solve a difficult puzzle, those who grew up poor gave up much sooner than those who grew up wealthy, even if they had similar incomes as adults.

One experiment with 95 people (36 men, average age 33) found those with poor compared to wealthier childhoods had a lower sense of control after looking at photos depicting economic hardship, such as unemployment lines, home foreclosure signs and empty office buildings. To determine the participants' sense of control, researchers asked how much they agreed with statements such as "I can do just about anything that I really set my mind to" or "Whether or not I am able to get what I want is in my own hands." Participants described their childhood household incomes by indicating agreement with statements such as "My family usually had enough money for things when I was growing up," or "I felt relatively wealthy compared to the other kids in my school." To determine their current SES, they rated their agreement with statements including, "I don't need to worry too much about paying my bills," or "I feel relatively wealthy these days."

Read more here. (NewsWise)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.