Hate can be a stimulous.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Alright, I'm going to briefly take you to a journey to my past in an attempt to explain to you who I am, why I'm here and what the fudge the title is hinting at.
Imagine it's 2006-ish and everyone was playing WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne. Lots of people played Ladder or the stadard game for shits and giggles and those fed up with the expirience stayed for the custom maps. Essentially, I got fed up with standard WCIII and started to explore the wide range of custom maps and found them rather entertaining. Soon enough however, it was obvious to me, that everything that seemed "new" and "exiting" were just skills and spells given different parameters and models. This is when the seed of hate was sewn. I started rage-quitting and what not because all these "new" maps were merely shit wrapped in different colored paper, apart from 1 or 2 maps, including the all new "DotA: Allstars", which pulled me in more and more. I asked myself, "Gosh darn, such a refreshing game", "if they create such awesome things, why shouldn't be able to?".
Said and done. I opened up WCIII Map Editor and explored the whole bundle of things that I could click and change. I started to do what most people did: change the parameters of spells and the models. It felt good. It felt like I was a god, chaging things to my will, bending any balance-logic to my liking.
Like all things that are fun, if you play around with them too long, you get bored and eventuallyupset. That was when I started to hate the game and everything I had "made" on my own. I would sit for hours with the Map Editor open and would try to come up with something that hasn't been done before, without much success, obviously. So I started to surf the web, looking for people that share the same interests: making a game that is unique in hopfully every possible aspect.
That is when I found TheHelper.net.
At first I just posted some trivial questions and got flamed serveral of times since I didn't search for my questions before I asked them. After a few times, I sort of fell into a bad ( good ) habbit. I hated it to be the person who knew the least. I hated that feeling, that everyone was better at modding than I. So I started to read through most of the tutorials and recreated most of the triggers until I started to understand how programming worked. After training my programming skills, I started to make spells for other people in GUI.
Soon after, I met TrollVottel ( GOD, I fucking love her and her skills). She asked me why I wouldn't programm in JASS. I told her, that I couldn't. Then she taught me how it works. In no time, I could use JASS like a pro ( with exception to AceHart and SFlip and other Mods ). But I still hated the fact, that I wasn't one of the best and I knew I couldn't reach the mods, with their vast knowledge in almost anything programmable. So I decided to expand my knowledge in other sections, such as Modeling.
After a few weeks of reading myself into the whole theory, I decided to start out small. I essentially made small improvments over time until I was ready to share my work with others.
And thats where it started.
I started getting feedback on each and every thing I posted in the resource section. It felt good. I felt like I really was contributing to this site with my models. After a while my creativity died out. But I didn't want this helping streak to end. So I sat down and was thinking about programming again, but ended up scratching that idea.
A few days in, after my decission, it hit me. Ideas for spells kept coming in from the weirdest places; was it while I was taking a massive dump or in English classes, I stopped doing what I was doing and went home as soon as I could ( I even skipped classes, because School was shitty and I was really exited about finalizing my ideas ). I then posted every single spell, which I thought was worthy of this site into the resource section. Ultimately, I was spamming. But it was good spam.
Soon after, various people were asking for requests. I did them. I did them all. It was like I had a second job - until T3n3b43 suddenly asked me to be his modeler. I was supposed to join him in a 2-man hero creation contest. We did a wonderfull job of creating what was supposed to be themost advanced, yet fun and unique Hero to play with. After the contest we became friends. I layed low for a while after that and just helped out people in the World Editor/Jass Zone. Up to today I would still spam. More in the news section, but every now and then I contribute something into the resource section.
As to why I chose this title: Hating on things that don't go your way can bring the best of yourself forth. You can be passionate about hating things, but just don't start murdering things. Thats bad. No one likes murder. Or murderers. Or murdered things.

I WILL EDIT THIS POST IN THE NEAR FUTURE. But for now, I hope you enjoy the read.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to hear some stories from the WE Helpers. I am going to make a Helpers Section of the Story where I can link all the autobiographies. Thanks for sharing that!

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Fun to read. Take comfort in that you certainly left a memorable mark on the site. ;)

Reading your post brought up a lot of ambivalent memories. :p The woes of learning WE are both embarrassing and enjoyable (in hindsight).

Also, I didn't know TrollVottel was a girl. I suppose you learn something new every day. I have the habit of assuming everyone is a guy, especially after the everlasting-ambiguity of 2-P's gender and after some odd experiences in WoW.

Ideas for spells kept coming in from the weirdest places; was it while I was taking a massive dump

Haha, same for me. It is the seat of inspiration.
-----
Anyway, that was a nice write-up + a nice ending. Thanks.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Cool, good story. Lot's of things sound familiar about it. Glad for you that you came so far in all the things you put forth the effort in.

Drunken_God

Hopes to get back into Mapmaking with SC2 :)
Reaction score
Haha oh my god, this brings back memories.
I started programming and actually learned speaking proper English by being on this site.
It's always fun to read through my first posts again, atleast for me. Also I remember trying so hard to get into the 100 reputation club with the two green boxes.
And I remember your awesome Models from back then Hatebreeder..

EDIT: omg I just remembered that I always had "+rep me" in my location field.
http://www.thehelper.net/threads/thehelper-net-member-awards-07.68041/#post-601961
http://www.thehelper.net/threads/member-awards-08.102146/#post-892884
http://www.thehelper.net/threads/member-awards-08.102146/page-3#post-892917
That's what I meant with trying hard. xD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.