Health Health Effects Of Transitioning In Teen Years Remain Unknown

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Most transgender adolescents go through the same steps during the medical transition from one gender to another. They're given a drug that blocks or pauses puberty. Then, if they and their doctors are sure they want to continue, they are given sex hormones that will resume puberty and give them more male or more female bodies.

This has been going on for just under a decade. "But what are the benefits and adverse effects of starting young kids on these powerful [puberty blockers] and then hormones? We don't know," says Dr. Frederic Ettner, a physician who has worked with transgender patients for over two decades. Since hormone treatment began for transgender youth, there's been a paucity of data on what happens to them in the long term.

What is known about transgender youth health is pretty dismal. A 2007 paper showed that out of a survey of 55 transgender youth, about a quarter had attempted suicide at least once. Drug abuse and depression are common as are high blood pressure, obesity and diabetes. The lack of information also makes it hard for doctors and patients to decide on treatment options.

Many physicians who treat trans youth believe that not giving hormone treatment is unethical, because of the strains of going through their biologically programmed puberty. "There are very compelling data showing very high risk of depression, suicide ideation, suicide attempts, and other risk taking behavior," says Dr. Stephen Rosenthal, a pediatric endocrinologist at the University of California San Francisco Benioff Children's Hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Literally this transforms men into women. I never ran across this issue with my kids so I have no basis of experience to make a judgement except to say I could have never afforded to provide those kinds of drugs to my kids and I would not expect the government to do that either. I have no problem with it really if my daughter came up to me and explained why she wanted that I would do it for her. The reality is that I could not do it for her because I could never afford it. I am against laws that say the government should pay for gender reassignment surgery but would not try to stop anyone who could pay for it themselves. I am not against Trans people at all I respect all sexual orientations and identities I will use whatever pronouns they want. So this article from 2015 is going to stay and if anyone has anything to say this is a forum please speak up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.