Hero Contest #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
no they dont, they have 4 stand animations, a walk animation, a swim animation, and death-related animations
Don't use a penguin?
I have a simple question about the theme. Does the hero have to specifically be ice themed, and only ice themed? Or would it be alright if a hero were to be a sort of ice/shadow hybrid or so? If not, would it be alright if it were primarily ice with only a small touch of a secondary theme?
Well, it depends on what you have in mind. You can PM me the idea if you don't want to post it here.
1) Is the hero a basic 10 level hero with 3 level 1 skills each with 3 levels and an ulti with 1 level, or is there any other level restrictions?
It needs to be able to fit into a regular melee game. So the answer would be: a level 10 hero with 3 level 1 each with 3 levels and an ultimate with 1 level. Yes.
2) About the balancing part, this is rather vague if you ask me. Is the balancing of the skills based on the stat gain you give YOUR hero, or do you have some "template" in mind, because some maps stick to the basic 2.0-2.2 average stat gain per level while other maps can circle around a 5-6 stat gain average.
It needs to fit into a standard melee game. You can find out the increments yourself :p
ok nvm, i just thoguht of this, "ice avatar" and im basing my hero off of the water elemental model file, will that not go good cause its watery? XD
I beseech you to try and find a better model. Thanks.
and does it matter if the spells are mui or not?
I'm going to say no (as in it doesn't matter), because JASS isn't allowed. (And I don't want everyone having to read Flare's tutorial GUI MUI spells and pointing out every single mistake that he made :p) But it would be nice if you made the spells MUI. If a moderator thinks that the spells should lose points for not being MUI, let me know.

mastah_

Reaction score
i like this idea ....i'll join however... one question:
how is this supposed to uploaded? as a map with some creeps on lvl 10 hero?

also don't ask me what my hero name is gonna be idk

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
> Well, I can't import, yet all systems are allow? I do need to import systems to the map

"No imports" as in, the Import Manager must be empty.

> Well, is there a particular reason for only GUI ?

Most likely because the judges do not have enough knowledge regarding JASS.

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
What's all this talking about being restricted to a few models? From what I've read, you may chance the vertex coloring of units. And unless they got some stupid policy for not attaching any projectiles etc on your hero, you can make practically any unit look somewhat like a ice/frost creature.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
no JASS, guess I am out then

how about GUI converted to custom script, or in other words, JASS....

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Sign me up, please. :)

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
I can use GUI, sort of. Anything I make in GUI just looks like crap. When learning to map, I used GUI for a bit then said "screw it" and jumped right into JASS. My GUI skills are horrible. I can't even make simple things like a Slide spell in GUI, yet I have no problem at all doing it in JASS.

Knight7770

Reaction score
Well, it looks like a lot of things have been happening since yesterday. Is Kazuga still in the contest, or did he withdraw?
The question wasn't how many special effects I could stick onto the hero, it was whether it mattered if the special effect that was permenantly on the hero could also be caused by a buff such as Frost Armour.
Special effects are allowed. It's up to the judges to decide whether or not the special effects add to the appeal of the hero.
Sorry emootootoo, but it's in the rules, "You can use GUI only.".
Correct.
If you have more than 2 or 3 (just my guess at a figure ) of the same SFX on the hero at any one time, I would guess that you'd lose points as a result of the above quote. May only be worth 5 points, but that 5 points could make alot of diference
That would be based on the opinion of the judge.
This seems wrong... Most any system that could ever help us is written in JASS... So why are system still allowed if we can't use them?
Why are you asking? Not using systems doesn't cause you to lose points.
I can use GUI, sort of. Anything I make in GUI just looks like crap. When learning to map, I used GUI for a bit then said "screw it" and jumped right into JASS. My GUI skills are horrible. I can't even make simple things like a Slide spell in GUI, yet I have no problem at all doing it in JASS.
The reason that the contest is GUI only is that most of the judges do not know enough JASS to be able to judge the JASS accurately. If you are not going to join the contest because JASS is not allowed, then just don't join. Thanks.
Sign me up, please.
Do you have a name to go with that?
Knight has said numerous times that custom scripts = just for removing leaks. I don't think that there's exceptions.
The only time that JASS is allowed is when you are using custom scripts for removing leaks ONLY. Other than that, any JASS that appears in your code will result in disqualification.
Nope, it's GUI. It can't really be efficient.
Make it as efficient as possible. We will be able to tell whether something could have been done better, even if it is in GUI.
Should you word 'Efficient' better, since It's a GUI contest? Something like 'as efficient as GUI can be'.
No, I shouldn't. Efficient is as efficient as it gets; if that's as efficient as GUI gets, so be it.
Also, things like GetLocationZ(). Are they allowed?
Not unless you can remove a leak with it.
I'll enter d contest, sign me up...
Hero Name: Frost Elemental
Added.
how about GUI converted to custom script, or in other words, JASS....
Unless you can manage to find a way to have each line of custom script remove a leak...
It better not do. My hero is based around how much he eats. If sillyness loses you marks....I'm doomed
Blizzard is silly all the time. No points will be lost for silliness; don't worry.
That's a good point. Does irony or silliness cause you to lose points?
It won't cause you to lose points, but it won't cause you to gain points, either.
Stop talking this crap now, just follow the rules and everything goes fine. This is clearly going to be a thread full of spam.
YES.

Squishy

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I said I'd like to join too. My hero name was King of Cold.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
Sign me up please.
Hero Proper Name: Gharn
Hero name: Wendigo Shaman

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
I have a question. If you use the Kobold model, they have this really tiny flame on their head. Is this the eighth deadly sin or can I keep the kobold model?

Knight7770

Reaction score
Sign me up please.
Hero Proper Name: Gharn
Hero name: Lone Wendigo
Ok, I'm happy now. Sign me up.
My hero is "Frost Dragon Hunter".
I said I'd like to join too. My hero name was King of Cold.
Added.
I have a question. If you use the Kobold model, they have this really tiny flame on their head. Is this the eighth deadly sin or can I keep the kobold model?
It's not a sin. Whatever you think will let you win. (Try covering it up)

Knight7770

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knight7770
So far, we have 2 mage heroes. Try to be more original; you're going to need to be if you want to win.
Here.
Oh... You won't be disqualified for using a mage hero; I just meant that there is more of a chance to earn less points if you use the same hero type as other contestants. As long as most of your hero is original, you should be fine.
Could you please stop deleting my posts, power-crazed Mod?
Please stop spamming.

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
>Oh... You won't be disqualified for using a mage hero; I just meant that there is more of a chance to earn less points if you use the same hero type as other contestants. As long as most of your hero is original, you should be fine.

The model file of it is a shadow priest, but he's type of spellcaster class is mage. Would I recive more points if I make up a new classname?

Edit: Troll shadow priest

Knight7770

Reaction score
There is nothing in the grading that says you will lose points for your hero's name or class.
Nope, I want to know who is deleting my posts and why. The only way I know to find this out is spam here until the Mod that is doing it PMs me to ban me or bitch at me or something.
Please stop. You are going to get this contest closed. The moderator who is deleting posts isn't just deleting yours; he (or she) is deleting any post that he (or she) feels is useless. You should never question a moderator's (or admin's) judgement.
Edit: Troll shadow priest
If you think it fits the ice theme.

emootootoo

Top Banana
Reaction score
May I ask for a reason why the option to just code our spells in JASS and receive 0/25 in the coding section is not an option?

The reason that the contest is GUI only is that most of the judges do not know enough JASS to be able to judge the JASS accurately. If you are not going to join the contest because JASS is not allowed, then just don't join. Thanks.

0/25 in the coding section = no need to judge JASS accurately.

Give me a decent answer instead of "it's the rule" when that rule doesn't make sense when the judges don't even need to read the JASS if it's an instant 0/25 in coding.

What I'm saying is going along with the rules in a logical manner.

Knight7770

Reaction score
I'm sorry to be so pushy, but may I ask for a reason why the option to just code our spells in JASS and receive 0/25 in the coding section is not an option?

Quote:
0/25 in the coding section = no need to judge JASS accurately.

I will accept the fact that JASS = no go now, just please, give me a decent answer instead of "it's the rule" when that rule doesn't make sense when the judges don't even need to read the JASS if it's an instant 0/25 in coding.

I definately accept the fact that the rules are concrete and are final word, but really what I'm saying is going along with the rules in a logical manner.
The reason that JASS is not allowed is that when the contest was being approved, none of the judges that I originally had knew enough JASS to be able to judge it. If I allowed JASS at that point, the contest would not have been approved. Therefore, I was forced to make it GUI only. However, now that the contest has two judges that know JASS, the rules may be changed. However, the rules' changing is not allowed without a moderator's consent.
>Where did you get troll shadow priest model?
units\creeps\ForestTrollShadowPriest\ForestTrollShadowPriest.mdl
OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.