US News High School Homework Assignment Asks Which Family Member Sexually Assaulted Young Girl

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
PERKASIE, Pa. (CBS) — A high school is apologizing following an inappropriate math question about a girl being sexually assaulted by a family member.

A math question on a homework assignment given to students at Pennridge High School asks, “Angelou was sexually abused by her mother’s ___ at age 8, which shaped her career choices and motivation for writing.” After doing the math, the answers were boyfriend, brother or father.

A number of parents complained to the Pennridge School District about the question.

The district said the assignment was “downloaded from a website that allows teachers around the world to share educational resources.”

“It is not part of our approve curriculum,” the district said in a statement.

The district apologized for the question and said they have taken steps to make sure that never happens again.

Source. (CBS)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I especially like how the mathematical answer is, every male in her life.

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Sexual abuse and the consequences are a reality. The majority of perpetrators are uncle, grandpa, mama's boyfriend, and then fathers, brothers, and then teachers and friends of the family. No idea how old the kids were, but at some point I think it's appropriate for them to learn the facts.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Yeah, that is a great lesson for something that isn't math.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet this was probability calculus. Kids had to calculate the chances of getting raped by each of these persons individually and then the chance of getting raped at all. The resulting number? A sad one.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
What are they teaching at this school?

High school teacher Clint Clark told BuzzFeed News he created the question in an attempt to honor Angelou’s legacy of being a voice for abuse victims.

He said he wanted to “show that other kids who have gone through difficult experiences are not alone.”

“I wanted them to know they could live to perhaps be the greatest poet in American history.”

But given the backlash, Clark is now considering whether there is a more sensitive way to convey this message.
Dumb Idea!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.