How to create a unique, fun, addictive RPG Map? Post your ideas/suggestion here!

ayumilove

Youtube account suspended! youtube.com/ayumilove8
Reaction score
How to create a unique, fun, addictive RPG Map? Post your ideas/suggestion here!

*topic*

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Here are some cool ideas of making an RPG map very addictive and fun...

- Make heroes with cool names, custom skins and custom spells with multiple levels
- Import custom models and apply it to some units in your RPG
- Make your RPG more larger in map size [Huge, Epic]. And make the terrain cool. You can make custom terrain using wc3image extractor 2 and importing the texture, or download in wc3sear.ch
- Bosses should not be too easy to kill or too hard to kill.
- Also put ideal cinematics to further reveal the story of your RPG
- Give a chance for players to save their heroes. Apply Save/Load codes and test them into your map.
- If necessary, make an Item Recipe system for the items in your RPG, like in DotA.
- Heroes should have max levels more than 100, but balance the experneice sharing.
- Make a map preview and a loading screen to your map
- Make a leaderboard or multiboard to tally scores
- When a player wins, make sure you apply credits cinematic.
- Make your map hybrid, in which there are more types of games played inside the RPG such as short TD's, Hero Defenses, Castle Defenses or Capture the Flag games in certain events of the RPG.

I can handle only those Ideas. Say, if you think these ideas are cool, i'll add more. Therefore if you want these ideas to come true you must be an expert mapper.

If you get lost during map creation, go to World Editor Tutorials and look for assistance.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
Since an RPG is a long game (most of the time) make many mini games and quest to keep the game going and change stuff during the game to make it more refreshing... you know what i mean :D

ayumilove

Reaction score
thanks guys for replying here!

haven't seen jonad for a long time o_O

bumps, keep your ideas flowing in!

Tonks

Reaction score
How about having complete mini-tournaments, that can be entered by choice?
Say, have a mini-tournament of a maze-race when you find a certain secret spot, and you can invite the rest of the players to join in.
Also, if it's an RPG where you can get different types of units, maybe have it so you can make unit combinations if you put the correct amount of the right type of units in the right spot. (Like Commando Wars)

Above all, have an interesting storyline.

Reaction score
Few ideas here:

-Many mini-games, like in The Legend of Zeldas :D (I'm addicted)
-Much different items and spells
-Terrain that makes you want to see it more and more
-About 100+ different creeps, so you won't get bored
-Unique story
-Many ways of doing quests

If you need any help, I would gladly help you :p

ayumilove

Reaction score
btw i would like to ask something, why some maps such as Defiance and Final Fantasy is so darn annoying asking someone to host their map on the B.net or
else where in order to play their map?

most of them say they don't want cheat to take place (-.-o)

edit:
ok, thanks uber

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Final Fantasy Rpgs (There are many of them) are even playable. Defiance's terrain is horrible and it overall sucks a bit. I don' t recomend doing addictive mas because it could ruin others social life (Yes, they can :p ) Want addictive map make it like loop, never ending you can' t beat it always is there something to get, make leveling hard, nice backstory and for each hero think out their unique backstory what can be mixed from real life (Give ability tooltips some kind of conection with hero personality like "ventetta sword- is his father sword from Second Mage War against Burning Legeon, etc.). Magic word is "Loop"- you can' beat game but you can get better. Make PvP arena small so called AOE style where ppl battle against CPU who are like novice (When beating them team gets crappy items and smartest are God Like they have like aimbot, they know where you are and they get 1. 5 more gold so beatng them gives you just special items or ubber ones- add 1001 truth sword what boosts your attack speed by huge % gives enemies miss chance, gives you agility and you get mana burn and perma immolation. Rig off of story and some cool heroes/ NPCs/ Bosses from WoW: Burning Crusade. Make your game start like WoW (Huge portrait of your character [Maybe many of them] then you can choose region where to start of. All are labled as High Lands lv 1-10 PvP, 27- 50 Dragon Root, etc.). Of course make PVP are where you get double exp or even triple for killing human players. Creat Guild what only considers PVP kills as exp. So being a high lv guild member on Gladiators Guild. So thye can feel good just for playing your game. Add to factions good and bad so people could think thye belong somewhere. They start to hunt eatch other in PVP area just because thye might be "bad guys" and you are your favorite class lv 68 Gladiators Guild Member Holy Paladin :p Is it inaf ?

ayumilove

Reaction score
wow sooda, your an eye opener o.o

guilds... factions.... PvP wah

i don't play WoW, so I dont know much about it

thanks for spending some time here sooda, your ideas are great

edit: oh ya, umm what i meant addictive is able to make the person continue
playing the game, and not getting fedup after a couple of hours playing it.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
wow sooda, your an eye opener o.o

guilds... factions.... PvP wah

i don't play WoW, so I dont know much about it

thanks for spending some time here sooda, your ideas are great

edit: oh ya, umm what i meant addictive is able to make the person continue
playing the game, and not getting fedup after a couple of hours playing it.

I don' t play WoW too, only Warcraft and one specific map (Sometimes I watch melee games too as observer or referee.). Hmm, if you want people play it repeatedly don' t relese first version as a junk. Polish it to todays standards (DotA, ToB, AoM, Final Fantasy Maps ( The ones where is save/ load and terrain is nice, triggers are good and you can go "into" houses.). What are you planing to do ?

EDIT: Oh I would go for lowering exp time and quest should be dynamic- your desisions interfere with global flow of game. If you rob the Kingdom gold vault prices in shops rize or lower because of influence (Low money). Then maybe you could buy a shop on town squere what starts to earn you gold from NPC who buy things what you can get by killing mobs and doing quests. It' s like personal stash only you instantly put it up for selling so you could sell not needed things from long dictances. Job system- defenetly add it. Make variations of same hero with different level names as EX- soldier ( I would run and hack & slash even with him.), Captain, White Fang Guild Memb., etc.
Add some mini games like you get job of being pilot and your mission is to bomb rebel kingdom into ashes (You get transporter or Flying Machine. then your view becomes bird view and you start bombing city. For destroying barracks or arcane vault you get medals real time just in mini game. Be creative mix Final Fantasy character personalitys (Think them out each one should have their own, why else it is called RPG.). For long rpg without main quest you should use classes. Still you could mix it with pre-made heroes. Think about older PC users like me and don' t start massing doodads/ triggers what leak/ imported stuff. It should be lag free and with nice terrain (Thought through.). NPC should be interesting to co-op or battle against nowdays (most/ some) people seek more than hack and slash. Wasteing whole day on getting that extra level dosn' t lead you anywhere. Only hardcore gamers enjoy it. Make it better quick and fun- fun means maybe you can spend an hour to game and then people have time to do things what they really need to do.
I think I wanted to say that game should give you good feeling not waste your time. I could be wrong. It seems gaming addiction is even worse than smoking.

F

Foomy

NOTE: I'm a bit drunk, sod don't judge me.

Make it interactive, like fun.
You could like, buy houses/mansions etc.
Something to own, and develop in.

Not just some, CREEP grinding, "All I care about is my Hero" *cough* WOW *cough*...

Power isn't allways gained trough, Experiance in combat.

Own a nation.
be a KING/MAYOR or whatsoever...
thats what I miss in todays, MMORPG, and in Wc3 MAPS.
THe interactivity, not just killing...

Enjoy the beer.

hi_im_bob

......and you are?
Reaction score
Although you should make the creeps and everything challenging, dont make quests so hard that you have to level for 1 hour, and then it takes 3 hours to do more than like the 3 basic quests. What I mean to say is balance experience and quests.

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
1)make the leveling not so fast like in FF Epic or SupremeDbz (if any1 even remember this game....) i mean those rpg's are great but their fast leveling makes them fade faster (every rpg has it's limits where it starts fading....)

2)keeping anti cheat triggers cuz that makes things like items or gold be less valuable and makes every rare item to a realy easy thing to get (im not saying i never cheated :p) BlackRoad got some anticheat system not that tight but its pretty nice thing if they could make it even unable to exchange gold (i guess u got the point already :D)

D

Dominik

Game crashes when i kill a creep

I'm doing a map like ehhhmmmm.... RPG style. So i have neutral hostile creeps in my map. I have a creep revive system, but always when i give the last shot to a neutral hostile creep, the game crashes :banghead: . My creep revive system is this:

Events:
Map Intialization

Conditions:

Actions:
Set TmpInteger = 0
Unit Group- Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) owned by Neutral Hostile) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Set GraveyardPoints[tmpinteger] = (Position of (Picked Unit)) Set GraveyardUnits[tmpInteger] = (Unit-type of (Picked Unit)
Unit - Set the custom value of (Picked Unit) to tmpInteger
Set tmpInteger = (tmpInteger + 1)

Events:
Unit - A unit owned by Neutral Hostile Dies

Conditions:

Actions:
Wait 60.00 Seconds
Unit - Create 1 GraveyardUnits[(Custom value of (Dying Unit))] for Neutral Hostile at GraveyardPoints[(Custom value of (Dying Unit))] facing Default building facing degrees
Unit - Set the custom value of (Last Created Unit) to (Custom value of Dying unit)

Juliano

Reaction score
Do unique bosses...

Balance heros too, I saw a map where the last boss attacked really fast, and had 99999+99999 agility, and your hero have something unbalanced too, isn't nice to play a rpg that the heros attack in less than 0,5 seconds interval ehehhe...looks crap and not like rpg, looks like a insane arena gameplay :/

The bosses are boring when you just need to attack, attack and attack them, this will result in defiances rpg, the bosses are killed with only hackslash, attack, attack and attackk!!A cool rpg must have unique bosses, that you have to do something,Example: like a huge Abomination in a laboratory with a mad gnome scientist, if the abomination is immune to attacks, you have to purge it by activating a lever that is hidden and guarded by enemyes, than it will be vulnerable for some seconds, than smash it down as long as you can, it will be up again when the purge wears off, than you must do something to make it vulnerable again and blablçabla, than you must face the gnome that blablabla... THIS would a cool rpg, where u need skills and inteligence, not a hero with 999999999 agility,999999999 stg and 99999999 inteligence and a boss that you nbeed only to press A and wait....

This is my opinion(wow 19 lines!)

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Suggestions:

RPG Camera:

An RPG Camera brings the game into a true RPG. Best in combination when having the player move with the directional control keys. For example:

Pressing the Left Arrow Key will make the hero move left. Pressing the Right Arrow Key will make the hero go right.

Get my point?

RPG Controls:

An RPG would be really interesting with controls that would control the hero itself. One is explained on the RPG Camera suggestion.

Items Galore!

Every RPG requires a lot of items to buy and use. Take some time thinking, perhaps write them on a piece of paper or type on Notepad/Wordpad. This will allow players to keep playing as long as they're balanced. Best in combination with Hero Class specified items (Meaning that a item can't be equiped depending on class.) and Item Prerequests (Meaning that a certain level, attribute, stat, ect. must be obtained to use the item).

Hero Classes:

The most important element of an RPG. A large variety of classes, such as a Warrior or a Mage, will determine the spells and help the person think of which class should be chosen. Give each hero equal amount of spells (Required for Spellbook spells) then add the attributes and such. Match everything such as attributes and spells to the hero for perfect results. For example:

Good Warrior Spells:
-Bash
-Cleave

Bad Warrior Spells:
-Feedback
-Entangle

This will be great and won't interfere with ruining gameplay.

Spells:

Giving a large variety of spells are the building blocks to crating a true custom hero. Using the Spellbooks as the learning abilities may prove useful, for they may extend the amount of spells avaliable. Use spellbooks according to types, for example:

Necromancer Spells:
-Summoning
-Curses & Magic

This will organize your spells so they're not unorganized in such ways that people can't find easily.

Save & Load Codes:

The all-time most important feature is the Save & Load code! Save & Load codes save your hero and may be loaded into the game (As the name clearly states). These will save time for people especially who have gone a long way and don't want to lose progress. This will save a lot of time if you think about it.

That's all...for now.

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
for dominik just so u know ur reply doesn't belong here but anyway i think u should check ur triggers again cuz i think u might set it for rest of the group so it creates a all of them instead of just the missing and makes ur game crash of too much monsters at once

K

Kevin

if you want unique, there's a map I've been considering to do for a long time - actually two maps:

1. Asea battle map -- oh "But kevin we have those!" omg you do not! See in real sea battles there are hurricanes, typhoons and omg TIDAL WAVES!

a hurricane would just be a unit that looks like a whirly wind with bunch of 2 dimensional faces travelling very fast in an animation circle. But it has to have debris when it covers a building and destroys it.

Anything touching it would be torn apart, tossed every which way.

A tidal wave -- another unit, only very large, and it makes it appear as if the water level is rising. But also, some water level should rise, to make the boats rise. Either that or the baots or units should go up with portions of the wave.

2. Another is a FLIGHT SIM warcraft style.

"BUT KEVIN THE MAP IS TOO SMALL!"

omg you see, the map is large neough! Take a lesson from old 2d shooters! IT is the ENVIRONMENT THAT MOVES not the UNIT!:D

Make everything else change and move. Make regions move. Make the camera angle center behind the ship and have everything move around it. Make it appear like your turning and twisting and barrelrolling! Make cloud units that just are wisps of clouds that go through!

Then make target area appear, and make a town or castle appear under the plane and drop your bombs!!!!!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.