Tutorial How to easely create Custom Races

Pie4Ever2

Reaction score
0a. INTRODUCTION
In this tutorial I will be showing you how to create a custom race in Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne. This tutorial assumes you already have a map to create your race on, so bare that in mind when doing the Beta stages. :D

0b. CONTENTS
press ctrl+F to find certain points in the tutorial

0a. INTRODUCTION
0b. CONTENTS (you are here)
------ ALPHA STAGES ------
1. DESIGN PROCESS
1a. PLANNING
1b. GETTING STARTED
2. CREATION PROCESS
2a. CREATING THE UNITS
2b. CREATING THE ABILITY'S
2c. CREATING TRIGGER'S
2d. ALPHA TEST
------ BETA STAGES ------
3a. BETA TEST
3b. PACKAGING
4a. YOUR DONE!
4b. AFTERMATH​

------ ALPHA STAGES ------

1. DESIGN PROCESS

1a. PLANNING
Before you start, ask yourself a few questions about your race:
What is the strengths/weaknesses of your race: If your new race is Invincible, why would people play any other?
What is unique about your Race: If all four races are exactly the same, it will get boring quickly.
Ease of Use: If your race is to hard to use, people wont want to play it, if its too easy they wont want to play it.
Ease of Creation: if your race requires lots of custom data, its going to be hard to create, even if you are a brilliant modeler, you wont want to spend all your time modeling, if your a can make brilliant triggers, you wont want to be creating triggers all the time, even if you did, the file size of the map would be huge!

1b. GETTING STARTED
When you have planned your race you can start to create it, there are three methods:

METHOD 1 - Edit: This is where you take a race, and edit all the unit's, structure's and ability's to create your custom race, useful if you don't need the starting races, as it provides a easy selection method.

(Picture 1)

METHOD 2 - Copy: This is where you take a race, and copy all the units. This is time consuming but is useful for creating more than four races. It requires some form of selection method in game. Requires removal of some melee map triggers.

(Picture 2)

METHOD 3 - Create: this is where you create your race from scratch, this requires the most work, and is not recommended, as it can lead to problems with balancing and tiers. Useful for creating more than four races. It requires some form of selection method in game. Requires removal of some melee map triggers.

(Picture 3)

2. CREATION PROCESS

2a. CREATING THE UNITS
This is the main process, and you will be getting things done quickly, so remember to be organized, otherwise there may be a huge flaw that will cost you time.
Start with editing the Units and Heros, then the Buildings and finally the Worker Unit('s). Don't worry about custom ability's or trigger's yet. After you have done this stage, play test it, and edit the tooltips, buildings, units and so on until its near what you want.

2b. CREATING THE ABILITY'S
Now you have some Custom Units, which is good, but what if you want it better? This is where Custom Ability's come in. Even if its just a name change, it makes a Huge difference, what sounds better for a Red Dragon? Unholy Aura or Dragonic Aura? remember to edit/create the buffs and effects to go with your ability's. Also in this stage create Upgrades and Items, and add them to your Research Buildings/ Shops. Playtest and edit to your satisfaction.

2c. CREATING TRIGGER'S
Renaming and editing current abilities gives you a pretty good race, but if you want to go that one step further, create triggered ability's, these add more distinction to your race, and make them more fun to play. Examples are creating a Morphing unit. Be creative, but don't overdo it, the more triggers you have, the longer it takes to create your race and the map size increases. Playtest and edit.

2d. ALPHA TEST
Play it by your self, create one of every unit, one of every building, and test everything. read every tooltip, get every unit before you upgrade, and make sure everyone upgrades correctly, make sure you can train all units and all the triggers work. Getting someone else to do this as well is very useful.

------ BETA STAGES ------

3a. BETA TEST
Play a match with a few friends, one or two per race, have them play it like a normal map, and tell them if they find any errors to tell you, so you can fix them. After you fix them Redo the Alpha and Beta Test's.

3b. PACKAGING
Now you have your race, you probably want to put the map on the Internet for other people to download and play, if not skip this step, but if you do read on...
First Register to a site that hosts maps, a few are The Helper.net The Hive Workshop and Warcraft 3 Filefront.
After that, you may wish to copy protect your race, if so go here. Remember to back your map up first.
Then, if you wish, you can create a Zipped folder to store your map, a few screenshots, a readme or whatever.
When you have done that you host your map, this differs from site to site, but most follow the same format: a screenshot, description and file are normally required.

4a. YOUR DONE!
Well done,you created your first (maybe) race! you should be proud of yourself, give yourself a pat on the back! :thup:

4b. AFTERMATH
Even after many Beta tests, your race wont be perfect. Read the comments people post about your map and update your race, then re-release an updated version, eventually your race will be 98-100% bug free and anyone who downloads it will have a Brilliant race! :)

Attachments

• Pictures.zip
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,208

Igor_Z

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The title doesn't corespond with the tutorial...
By the title i thought you accomplished one of my long wanted desires - To change race name in lobby(when u host a game) but this tutorial is like How to change a name and icon... Needs more work btw

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.