Report How to Make Your Dog Jealous

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
My best friend from childhood had two beautiful dogs, a German shepherd named Sari and an Australian shepherd named Chloe. Living on a large pasture in the Midwestern countryside, the dogs were both mellow and incredibly well-behaved... that is, until my friend and I decided to mess with them. No, we didn't engage in dog shaming (see photo above); instead, we did something much more ruthless.

Sari, the German shepherd, had a bit of a jealous side. Even if she had been petted first, Sari had a strict zero tolerance policy toward affection for Chloe. She simply could not tolerate bearing witness to Chloe being petted. If she saw it, she would try to wedge herself into the situation and steal attention from Chloe. Realizing the mischief we could make, my friend and I would simultaneously pet Chloe -- complete with ostentatious adulation -- causing Sari to go ballistic. She would whine and bark and bite at Chloe. On at least one occasion, we instigated a fight.

Cruel? Yes. But, little did we know that, scientifically, we were way ahead of our time. A new study in PLoS ONE has confirmed the existence of jealousy in dogs. And the authors' methods were frighteningly similar to ours.

The team recruited 36 dogs and their owners. The owners were told to ignore their own dog while they (1) played with a stuffed toy dog that barked and wagged its tail; (2) played with a jack-o-lantern as if it were a dog; and (3) read aloud from a children's book. Conditions #2 and #3 served as controls. Condition #2 determined if simply showing affection to anything other than the dog elicited a jealous response; Condition #3 examined if ignoring the dog caused jealousy. The dogs were videotaped, and their behavior was assessed.

Last edited by a moderator:

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It's of course a study report on jealousy in dogs. The title was made to be sensationalist and easy for non-scientists to read.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
But still "Making them Jealous for a study" It's not cool !

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I just take naya to the dog park and pet all the other dogs in front of her. She hates it, but god damn is she a good dog for a while.

FireCat

Reaction score
I just take naya to the dog park and pet all the other dogs in front of her. She hates it, but god damn is she a good dog for a while.
That's cruel Varine ! Hopefully you did pet her afterwards. Hmm

It's pretty simple. Tom

FireCat

Reaction score
Before a biscuit... You roll over ?

That still doesn't explain why.
Why?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.