World Japan vows to continue its whaling program, despite international ruling ordering it to stop

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Despite the global moratorium on commercial whaling that began in 1986, Japan continues to kill thousands of whales under the guise of “research.”

“Japan claims it’s necessary research, important for the management of whaling,” says Phillip Clapham of NOAA’s National Marine Mammal Laboratory in Seattle. “Many of us believe it is simply a convenient way around the moratorium.”

“There's very little the Japanese are doing that is of direct relevance to the management of whales,” Clapham argues. “Even if it is, nowadays there are many non-lethal techniques that are as good, or in many cases better, than killing a whale to study it.”

Since 1987, Japan has killed more than 14,000 whales under a program run by the Tokyo-based Institute of Cetacean Research (ICR). “The ICR is funded by government subsidies and by the sale of the meat in Japanese markets,” Clapham says, “So there is a very strong incentive to continue whaling — because, essentially, if whaling stops, then that institution goes out of business.”

Read more here. (PRI)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Just drop another nuke, that will teach them. Helped the last time they were making trouble.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If mother nature really wanted them to stop, they would have been hit with another tsunami. Japlantis.

Varine

Reaction score
I was trying to make a portmanteau joke, not an actual reference.

Varine

Reaction score
I can't wait for Japan to sink, that place is fucking creepy.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
They like to kill whales. It is big money for them. Greenpeace will make them see the light someday.

Varine

Reaction score
Greenpeace? Aren't they the ones that try to sabotage Japanese ships all the time?

Varine

Reaction score
Yeah, I hope their other ship gets sunk too.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
They are weak. Unfortunately the weak do not inherit the earth or further there cause. I am all for the whales but I just don't see what I can do to save them and not willing to put my life on the line for them. The dolphins though, that is another story....

Varine

Reaction score
They aren't weak, they're fucking stupid. They hinder their own cause by supporting insane measures to combat whaling, and basically discredit themselves. No one cares what terrorists do, even if they do technically have a good cause.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Bullshit !
Is the only reason why you call it bullshit becaue the news article put the word "claims" there?

What if there was a news article about a new piece of information japanese scientists have gotten about whales from a recently dissected corpse. You would probably be supportive of it. You are one of the easily controllable.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
There's a lot of evidence that "this is not being done for scientific. You don't kill 900 in a year, Just for the scientific research.
"You don't have to kill whales to study them "

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
That is not "evidence", that is just hollow words. Are you a whale scientist? I dont think so. Do you have any actual evidence? I dont think so either.
You just follow what the media is saying. When the media says japan is evil you believe that japan is evil.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.