Japanese Bug Fights

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
That's almost as bad as dog fights if you ask me.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
That's almost as bad as dog fights if you ask me.

...Wow, seriously? I am not saying I agree with it, but to compare a bug to a dog makes me a little perplexed. Do you know that most bugs eat their own young? Those praying mantis featured all over in there...when borne they feed on each other...and after mating the female almost always eats the male. I'm such a nerd my brothers and I use to raise these things and we kept them in the garden as pest control. We would always feed them the biggest nastiest spiders, hornets, wasp, whatever because it was more fun to watch the fight. This reminds me of that. They never lost though I never wanted to try a scorpion. Either way I think that there are worse things to worry about and I even found this a little amusing though that doesn’t mean I’m condoning it.

Demi666

Reaction score
...Wow, seriously? I am not saying I agree with it, but to compare a bug to a dog makes me a little perplexed. Do you know that most bugs eat their own young? Those praying mantis featured all over in there...when borne they feed on each other...and after mating the female almost always eats the male. I'm such a nerd my brothers and I use to raise these things and we kept them in the garden as pest control. We would always feed them the biggest nastiest spiders, hornets, wasp, whatever because it was more fun to watch the fight. This reminds me of that. They never lost though I never wanted to try a scorpion. Either way I think that there are worse things to worry about and I even found this a little amusing though that doesn’t mean I’m condoning it.

does not matter they are living creatures,
its EXACTLY the same as putting 2 humans in a cage to fight to death, except maybe human friends/family would prob be sad couse we think other way then bugs do

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
does not matter they are living creatures,
its EXACTLY the same as putting 2 humans in a cage to fight to death, except maybe human friends/family would prob be sad couse we think other way then bugs do

Lol, I don't know what form of logic would posit the two to be the same; what’s more, EXACTLY the same? The worth of human beings let alone that of a dog are so much higher than that of an insect. Now I'm not saying this means we should use lesser forms of life for our own degenerate purposes, however the two cannot be compared. Even your last sentence clarifies a defining and vital difference between man and bugs. We have family and associated emotions such as love and hate that go with it. Bugs are merely instinctive driven necessities to the food chain and circle of life. They are important in that aspect but they don’t have a soul and cannot compare. That said as dumb as this may sound I have gone out of the way on many occasions to save or not accidentally kill these little beings of the insect domain. To propose, however that these are the same as pitting humans against each other holds true only in that they are two living creatures vying for survival. The comparison of these creatures however cannot compare as one is obviously of more worth than the other.

Matemeo

Reaction score
Lol, I don't know what form of logic would posit the two to be the same; what’s more, EXACTLY the same? The worth of human beings let alone that of a dog are so much higher than that of an insect. Now I'm not saying this means we should use lesser forms of life for our own degenerate purposes, however the two cannot be compared. Even your last sentence clarifies a defining and vital difference between man and bugs. We have family and associated emotions such as love and hate that go with it. Bugs are merely instinctive driven necessities to the food chain and circle of life. They are important in that aspect but they don’t have a soul and cannot compare. That said as dumb as this may sound I have gone out of the way on many occasions to save or not accidentally kill these little beings of the insect domain. To propose, however that these are the same as pitting humans against each other holds true only in that they are two living creatures vying for survival. The comparison of these creatures however cannot compare as one is obviously of more worth than the other.

This assumes you view humans as being greater, and worth more than, a dog for instance. Which in my opinion is a very greedy, and arrogant way to look at it. :cool:

But then again, we are humans, greed and arrogance are born into us. :p

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
This assumes you view humans as being greater, and worth more than, a dog for instance. Which in my opinion is a very greedy, and arrogant way to look at it. :cool:

But then again, we are humans, greed and arrogance are born into us. :p

Greed and arrogance, lol. This as far as I have been illustrating has nothing to do with greed or arrogance, and if you assume this is where I am coming from then you are incredibly mistaken. I noticed how you didn't include bugs in your comparison. Is that because you innately know that we are of more value then them? Please don't put words in my mouth; originally this whole thing was about bugs, the thread is Japanese Bug Fights. I am saying that the life of a bug does not compare to that of a dog, and that the life of a dog, although highly esteemed as it rightly should be does not compare to that of a human. Because of this I am saying that bugs do not compare to humans or dogs. I believe a distinction can be made.

Instead of merely stating that you feel my viewpoint is based on greed and arrogance, which I would consider flaming, as it is an insult and even if it were not you are not giving anything to support this. You are only stating what you feel with no relative information behind it. Please feel free to elaborate on how my view is based on greed or arrogance, or how it is that the life of a bug should be compared to that of a dog or a human? And if a bug and a dog can be compared than that of a dog to a human as well can be shaded to varying degrees. Also I am assuming little, I am supporting why I believe this to be the case. If I was assuming I would have no information to back this up; I would be merely pulling things out of my britches.

Ask yourself a few simple questions to shade how you really feel about this. If termites infested your home and were eating through your house and livelihood what would you do? If I based my response on you’re apparently less greedy and less arrogant point of view, which you have not stated, except that we should assume that there is no distinction between life forms then based on that philosophy I would have to move out. Killing them would be murder, but you wouldn’t want to continue to live there as your house rotted and fell apart around you, your food getting infected by yet other bugs. How would your life and that of your family’s, however large, compare to that of the thousands if not millions eating away at your home? Should not a distinction be made between the two? Or perhaps you could sit down with them to a cup of tea and discuss other options for them that would be less intrusive to your own needs. I’m sure they’d be deeply moved to know they were encroaching on your livelihood.

Or what if a fire was raging in a nearby house and there were a puppy in one room on one end of the house and a baby in a room on the other end of the house, you having time to go only to one room before the fire overtakes the house, which would you choose? I am not saying I condone pitting species against each other for entertainment, but as far as a general stance is to be taken, I am not assuming, I am logically concluding that you cannot compare the two. Anyone is entitle to disagree with that completely, however I think that at the heart of what you are inferring as a philosophy this will not hold down to the moral fibers if it ever were to test those that subscribe to it.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
First of all: Stop arguing. This isn't about the ethical treatment of insects. Keep that to PMs or in GD.

And second: Only in Japan. The fact that the Japanese language always sounds so angry really adds to the comedy.

EatShrooms

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Dang that scorpion couldn't stand a chance against the beetle in the latest video, 30th or something?

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
This reminds me of Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. The older brother takes a jar of bugs and makes them fight by shaking it. He was a pretty interesting character.
I don't agree with killing insects or any other being for I am a passive vegetarian teeanger who doesn't believe in ending lives for entertainment/taste, but this is part of the Japanese culture. They have chicken fights in Asia as well, and those end up very bloody. In America we have dog fights, which isn't worse than bug fights, a life is destroyed and unused for thrill either way.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
That beetle is good... :p

Anyway, I don't think death (of anything) should be used for our purposes. But it would be hypocritical for me to say that, based on all the bugs that I've killed for annoying me (flies, ants, etc.).

I might :)P) have seen rooster and dog fights, and they aren't nice. At least 1 of them dies (if not both).

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Site is back up
or it works for me =D

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Ack! I think the site is dead. Such a tragedy! This was some great content!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.