Japanese Katana vs. European Broadsword: What are your opinions about this?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Care to watch this GIF animated clip?

You can see how powerful the blow is, chipping away a notch in both of the swords.

What is your opinion on this matter? Do you believe something is wrong, like the posture, the technique, etc.?

2ch, a Japanese 4chan originator, has made huge amounts of opinions about this, and actually embarked heavy controversy about this. One actual critic said:

It's because of the broadsword is placed on a table. Without the table, it would've dealt a bigger blow and can cut away the broadsword away.

Few do take this seriously, as most of them either blamed on the katana as fake, or the technique is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Of course the broadsword will win over the katana in this situation, I have no doubt about it.

I am a bit doubtful though if the result would be the same if they switched the blades so that the katana was lying on the table and the moving blade was the broadsword.

There are some other factors as well such as the broadsword being thicker than the katana and the fighter actually strikes when a katana is made for cutting.

With these things in mind I can still honestly say that I believe that there is nothing wrong with the result that would affect the end result except for the broadsword not moving(not that the end result would be any different if it where the other way around).

Winterherz

Reaction score
katana = slashing weapon / speed & fighting finesse
broadsword = cutting weapon / brute strength

[YOUTUBE]fxYvwEnKRjA[/YOUTUBE]

on the GIF clip, obviously the broadsword. . It's like airdropping a minicooper from 5000ft into an M1 tank, only without a parachute.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
eh.. what's your basis for the difference between cutting and slashing?

The katana's curved form allows for a more powerful slash at the same striking speed
because it focuses the impact to one spot.

The broadsword makes for easier stabbing with its thick base and straight profile.
It's also generally heavier, able to deal bludgeoning damage through the armor.

And only an idiot will block edge to edge.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
The video shows nothing, and has nothing to do with one sword beating the other. In fact, the swords did the same amount of damage to each other, as seen in those slits on the blades.

Swords are not meant to strike immoveable hard objects. They can strike immoveable soft objects, because those will decellerate the blade slowly as the sword slowly digs in and comes to a halt, and they can strike moveable hard objects, because those will also decellerate the blade slowly as the struck object gives way beneath the blade. But striking an immoveable hard object like that causes the middle of the blade to try and force the upper half of the blade to come to a stop just about instantly, and keep in mind that the upper half is already moving far faster and with far more energy than the rest of the blade. The end result? The momentum carries it down past its breaking point.

The European sword was spared such a fate not because it's tougher (in fact, single-edged Japanese swords have the advantage of being able to warp slightly back on themselves and are thus much tougher if used right), but because it's a well-supported object that had to undergo no such acceleratory crap and which was able to disperse the forces along the entire table anyway.

They should have just struck a massive tungsten block with that katana. It would have proven just as much. Which is to say, nothing.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Well, my vote is for the katana (regardless of the .gif).

The Katana is superior in it's build then the Broadsword. I own both a Katana and a Broadsword and a Katana is much easier to wield and swing then the broadsword. Although both have advantages in combat, the Katana is the superior sword.

The low-down:

Both weapons have to be held in two hands (unless you're a giant or incredibly strong).
Both Weapons have good slashing power, but the katana has more stabing power.
The Katana gets 1 more swing per 2 swings then a broadsword.
The Katana is lighter to carry and swing, and has a faster cut.
The Broadsword can and most likely will break the bones of the enemy, purely because it takes more power to swing and the gravity is more leniant towards the broadsword. This does not make it more powerful in combat, but on an off chance that you manage two exact hits, the kill is safer with the broadsword.

Those are my 2 cents.

Also, if you want to compare Medieval weapons with Orient Weapons, i suggest you compare a Flail and a Katana, the Flail is a much more powerful weapon then a broadsword and is easier to swing.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
the broadsword is thicker and heavier.. what else is new?

I think the 4chan people are biased by anime ;P

also, I think the video is flawed in this respect: the broadsword is held in place at 2 points, while the katana is only held at one point - if they switched the swords and had the sword on the table held at only 1 point, I think that it would give a fairer result - but like uberfoop said, they are fairly similar - I also think that the katana is sharper in general when compared to the broadsword because of a superior forging technique, which would explain why it dealt roughly the same damage to the broadsword (ignoring the bending, since I think that's because of how the swords were held)

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think the kantana was built to fight gauls and vikings, but moreso weapons that are in eastern martial arts (the stick, the stick with a blade, the sythe, chained sticks (sort of like larger numchucks) farmer tools or modified ones basically) because most people that opposed the far east were basically revolutionaries, though not quite as organized.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.