Sci/Tech Largest-ever study provides evidence that 'out of body' and 'near-death' experiences may be real

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
There is scientific evidence to suggest that life can continue after death, according to the largest ever medical study carried out on the subject.

A team based in the UK has spent the last four years seeking out cardiac arrest patients to analyse their experiences, and found that almost 40 per cent of survivors described having some form of “awareness” at a time when they were declared clinically dead.

Experts currently believe that the brain shuts down within 20 to 30 seconds of the heart stopping beating – and that it is not possible to be aware of anything at all once that has happened.

But scientists in the new study heard said they heard compelling evidence that patients experienced real events for up to three minutes after this had happened – and could recall them accurately once they had been resuscitated.

Dr Sam Parnia, an assistant professor at the State University of New York and a former research fellow at the University of Southampton who led the research, said that he previously that patients who described near-death experiences were only relating hallucinatory events.

One man, however, gave a “very credible” account of what was going on while doctors and nurses tried to bring him back to life – and says that he felt he was observing his resuscitation from the corner of the room.

Speaking to The Telegraph about the evidence provided by a 57-year-old social worker Southampton, Dr Parnia said: “We know the brain can’t function when the heart has stopped beating.

“But in this case, conscious awareness appears to have continued for up to three minutes.

Read more about it here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...experiences-may-actually-be-real-9780195.html

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
So I am to understand that the basis of their evidence is on patient testimony after the fact, with no real measurable activity noted?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
So I am to understand that the basis of their evidence is on patient testimony after the fact, with no real measurable activity noted?
Yes, it seems so "For up to three minutes"

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
You can't really measure or find any evidence about OBEs unless you have first hand experience.

Varine

Reaction score
You can't really measure or find any evidence about OBEs unless you have first hand experience.
That was the point I wanted to make. They have no more evidence and first hand accounts can't be trusted any more than my dreams.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
It takes several minutes for brain damage to occur after the brain's been deprived of oxygen. Is it possible that the brain is still functioning at a currently untraceable level until there's no more oxygen to sustain it (that 3-minute window), or does it only last that long before suffering brain damage in most cases because the heart is still beating and pumping the last available oxygen to the brain until it's all been used?

Either way, "life after death" is a very subjective term, here.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
If you were declared clinically dead by the doctors... you were supposed to be dead.

Is it possible that the brain is still functioning at a currently untraceable level until there's no more oxygen to sustain it (that 3-minute window)
But yeah, maybe there is some "oxygen" hidden Inside you.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm not sure what they tested here exactly but, I think it would be quite easy to prove.

Just set up something that happens only 1 min after the person has been declared dead. A specific, weird movement pattern from one of the nurses, or a weird, one-time noise, anything unique.

And it only happens when that person is declared dead. Then, if that person recalls that fact, it would mean the OBE is possible, because how else could that person have recalled it? It happened while the person was dead!

Varine

Reaction score
Which isn't whats happening. And that wouldnt really show out of body experiences, that just shows some level of awareness, which could be attributed to misidentification of their death.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.