lies & falsehood

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
when is it appropriate to lie and/or deceive people?
is it ever morally right to lie?

is it OK when you have authority over the people you are lying to? (i.e. parents to their children, dictators/leaders to their people, etc.)

is it OK if it will never be found out (i.e. "white lie")? or is it OK if the person being deceived will eventually find out? (i.e. Santa)

is it OK to lie if the person who you are trying to deceive already knows the truth, since you are not actually deceiving them? (i.e. older children with Santa, (sarcasm?))

note: I am talking about stating an outright lie/falsehood, something like "It's classified" wouldn't count, but "I don't know" could, depending on what you actually know

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Well, there isn't an easy way to answer. And it depending on the situation as well.

is it OK if it will never be found out (i.e. "white lie")?
Well, white lie are kinda harmless lie. Such as protect or avoid hurting someones feelings. It wouldn't necessarily hurt someone. Really! Well, and a white lie would cause no harm if discovered even.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
You could draw a circle of chalk around where you are standing, and claim to the world that you will not move from that spot no matter what. So you don't. And you have integrity and honesty. That is admirable.

But what happens when your wife in the next room is being raped? Would you break your word to leave your chalk circle to protect her? If you did, does that make you a liar with no integrity?

Like FireCat said, there is no simple answer, and it depends a great deal on the situation.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
personally id say its ok to lie if you do it for someone else, but its not ok if you do it for yourself.
by that i mean if you lie to your kids and tell them santa is real, you do it for them to make them happy and it doesnt make a difference to you, but when you tell someone a lie to get them to do something for you (or vote for you for ex.) when in reality the cake is a lie, then it is not O.K.

and even then, its like what has been stated: it depends on the situation as well

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
You could draw a circle of chalk around where you are standing, and claim to the world that you will not move from that spot no matter what. So you don't. And you have integrity and honesty. That is admirable.

But what happens when your wife in the next room is being raped? Would you break your word to leave your chalk circle to protect her? If you did, does that make you a liar with no integrity?

Like FireCat said, there is no simple answer, and it depends a great deal on the situation.

interesting point, I overlooked the "things you promise to do" type, in which case I see your point, but I was talking more about the kind of lie where you deceive/trick someone, and more of in past rather then the future

Well, white lie are kinda harmless lie. Such as protect or avoid hurting someones feelings. It wouldn't necessarily hurt someone. Really! Well, and a white lie would cause no harm if discovered even.
give me an example, since you lost me - to me a "white lie" is a lie that is undetectable, i.e. "yes I brushed my teeth today mom" - the mom wouldn't really know the difference if the kid brushed his teeth or just ate a mint

personally id say its ok to lie if you do it for someone else, but its not ok if you do it for yourself.
by that i mean if you lie to your kids and tell them santa is real, you do it for them to make them happy and it doesnt make a difference to you, but when you tell someone a lie to get them to do something for you (or vote for you for ex.) when in reality the cake is a lie, then it is not O.K.

and even then, its like what has been stated: it depends on the situation as well

I agree with "it depends", but can you elaborate on that? in your latter example, the lie that convinces someone to vote for X benefits person X and possibly a lot of people that person X would help if elected to office - do you do one of those "is it for the greater good" judgements, or is there something else? and after the fact (after X is in office, or perhaps after their term is over), should you reveal that you lied about so and so that many years ago, or is it better to take it to the grave?

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
the lie that convinces someone to vote for X benefits person X and possibly a lot of people that person X would help if elected to office - do you do one of those "is it for the greater good" judgements, or is there something else?

Well if person X is actually going to do something beneficial if he does get elected then there would be no need for lying, all he'd have to do is state what he actually wants to do. if you give me an example of what you mean then id be able to tell you because i can't visualize said scenario.

and after the fact (after X is in office, or perhaps after their term is over), should you reveal that you lied about so and so that many years ago, or is it better to take it to the grave?

well it depends. as stated i dont see how such a scenario would occur. especially here too, if someone makes a claim to get into power which is a lie, and he never goes through with the claim then people would know themselves that it was a lie...

if we take a different scenario for example with what your saying, not getting into power because i dont see how that would work. in general it all just depends though. if revealing the lie would do more harm than good then keep it, but if it would do more good than harm then tell people. its all situational.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
give me an example, since you lost me - to me a "white lie" is a lie that is undetectable, i.e. "yes I brushed my teeth today mom" - the mom wouldn't really know the difference if the kid brushed his teeth or just ate a mint
That doesn't have to to with white lie. It's all about trust.

Anyway
Thank you so much! I just love it! – But you didn't

Well, telling someone that their gift sucked. Would not that make you a jerk?

Or how would you feel if your GF came up to you and said, honey your dick is really small.?
Or Someone made a steak or you cooked one . Would you say Or hear
This had to honestly be the worst steak I have ever had in my entire life.?

Well, there is NOTHING wrong with honesty. And sometimes the circumstances will dictate that you must risk hurting the person's feelings.
And there are ways to tell the truth without bashing someones feelings. But sometimes spare their feelings isn't wrong.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
That doesn't have to to with white lie. It's all about trust.

Anyway
Thank you so much! I just love it! – But you didn't

Well, telling someone that their gift sucked. Would not that make you a jerk?

Or how would you feel if your GF came up to you and said, honey your dick is really small.?
Or Someone made a steak or you cooked one . Would you say Or hear
This had to honestly be the worst steak I have ever had in my entire life.?

Well, there is NOTHING wrong with honesty. And sometimes the circumstances will dictate that you must risk hurting the person's feelings.
And there are ways to tell the truth without bashing someones feelings. But sometimes spare their feelings isn't wrong.

all of those examples, you can say nothing, you don't have to say something that will intentionally make them feel bad, or

their gift sucked -> say thank you anyways, since you appreciate the thought - no lie
Or how would you feel if your GF came up to you and said, honey your dick is really small.? -> say that's because you aren't hot enough and find another GF
Or Someone made a steak -> give them advice - I think this could use some more time on the grill/mustard/etc.

But sometimes spare their feelings isn't wrong.
point taken, but you can always say nothing - you don't have to tell them something that will hurt their feelings, but you don't want to encourage them either, i.e. in the steak example, it means that they will try to make the steak the same way again, or for the gift they will keep giving you gifts you don't like, etc.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
In an ideal world, we would not have to lie, but because of the fact that we have to protect the ones we love we have to bend the truth a little bit, maybe not straight up lieing but maybe withholding the truth, which is still technically lieing. The truth hurts and theres nothing we can do about that other than making the truth something that does not hurt so much

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
i think that there is nothing morally questionable about lying - its the intent behind the lie that counts

lying about santa is perfectly fine because the intent is to create a fantasy for children (or get them to sleep on christmas eve or whatever)

lying about say a product you are trying to sell is not because the intent is to make a profit at someone else's expense through conveying false information

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I think Bruce Wayne says it nicely, "Sometimes the truth isn't good enough, sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded... "

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a strict rule set for myself that i would never lie to myself or to set myself in a better situation. But there are always situations in which i lie because it makes everything better for everyone. I mean unimportant things, really marginal situations of the daily life.

Examples are easy to find, but hard to explain. There are many unimportant situation where it doesnt make a difference if you lie or say the truth besides less work or concern for everyone. As i said, its really hard to explain but i run into these kinds of situations on a regular basis.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Haha, good guess. But no, in all seriousness I lie all the time.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I think it's unhealthy to lie out of habit, especially to yourself - as for other lies, you guys like justifying them, but I am not convinced of how much good that does in the long run

let me ask you this: should a parent lie to an adopted child about being adopted? (assuming that they were the same race and it was possible to deceive the child) and until what age?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    that sucks i bet they are expensive
  • Varine Varine:
    Not really
  • Varine Varine:
    The entire hot end is like 20 dollars, I just can't get anymore until next week
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.