US News Man Threatens Suicide, Police Kill Him

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
On May 11, Justin Way was drinking and threatening to hurt himself. His father, George Way, said his son was a recovering alcoholic and had been alcohol-free for five weeks.

“He just lost his job, and he had a setback,” he said.

Way’s live-in girlfriend, Kaitlyn Christine Lyons, said she’d caught Justin drinking a bottle of vodka, which she took away from him to pour out. She said he was drunk, lying in their bed with a large knife, saying he would hurt himself with it. She called a non-emergency number in an attempt to get her boyfriend to a local St. Augustine, Florida, hospital for help—and told them she did not feel threatened.

“My brother has been Baker Acted three times because he was threatening to hurt himself so I figured that would happen with Justin,” said Lyons. Florida’s Baker Act allows the involuntary institutionalization of an individual, and it can be initiated by law-enforcement officials.

Read more here. (The Daily Beast)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I think it's more legally acceptable for a policeman to shoot an unarmed individual than it is for an individual to commit suicide.

I think the more interesting part is this quote:

“Whether it’s a rifle or not, in many senses, is a non-issue,” he said. “A bullet comes out of a handgun, a bullet comes out of a rifle.”

so what's with all the restrictions on guns in that case?

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I would assume that the individual in question wouldn't be opposed to lifting or changing some or all of those restrictions. I could be wrong, though. I often am.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I think it's more legally acceptable for a policeman to shoot an unarmed individual than it is for an individual to commit suicide.

I think the more interesting part is this quote:

Because it's a lot harder for police to do shit like this if they aren't restricted. I am curious as to why assault weapons are considered an acceptable 'weapons system' when dealing with a suicidal person in a tight space though - they're harder to maneuver than hand guns, severely restricting an officer's potential mobility indoors. And if I was suicidally shitfaced and watched two people in military-style gear walk into my bedroom with assault rifles, I would probably not be like 'Oh, the police are here to help me." Everything about this, like pretty much everything LEO's do, just screams the absolute corruption, ineptitude, and irrational defenses of the United States police force.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
And if I was suicidally shitfaced and watched two people in military-style gear walk into my bedroom with assault rifles, I would probably not be like 'Oh, the police are here to help me."
Yeah, that one got a real lol out of me.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I don't feel like lol is the appropriate response to this shit man.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.