Need help with building PC, AMD A8-3850 for gaming?

warcraft7

Reaction score
Still PC nub here sooo....with the built in graphics on the AMD A8-3850 can i play games like CS:S, Dota 2, Warcraft 3, WoW, SC 2 and games like that?(think i listed all the major games i play) Now i mean from the get go obviously eventually id want a dedicated GPU, i ask because i was looking at this bundle at my local PC store since i cant buy Online without a hassel

http://www.startechsandiego.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=766_767&products_id=3308

with getting the AMD A8-3850 and Upgrading to 4 GBs of RAM bringing the total to 217.60 (also is that good price for all that? =/ )

Id probably go with windows XP as my OS and i know id also have to buy other pieces to make a running PC and my budget is around 350$(i already have a case the HAF 912 and extra old PC fans, an old sound card, and a wireless card with a cute little antenna)

Anyways back to the main question...Is the AMD A8-3850 decent for a starting gaming PC?

And as for a side question how is that mother board? it is Micro-ATX so will that fit into regular ATX?

Thanks for any answers and help.

MOBO Specs(its long)
FORM FACTOR: Micro-ATX
SOCKET TYPE: FM1

CPU SUPPORT:
AMD Socket FM1 100W Processors

CHIPSET:
AMD A75 FCH (Hudson D3)

GRAPHIC:
Integrated AMD Radeon HD 65XX/64XX Series Graphics in Llano APU
Max Shared Memory 512MB
Max D-Sub Resolution 1920 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
Max HDMI 1.4a Resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz

MEMORY:
2 x DIMM, 16GB Max*
DDR3 2400+(OC)/1866(OC)/1600(OC)/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

*Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows32-bit OS. For Windows64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation.

LAN:
Realtek8111E , 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)

AUDIO:
5.1 CH HD Audio (VIA VT1705 Audio Codec)

STORAGE:
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
Support Raid 0, 1, 10

EXPANSION SLOTS:
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
1 x PCI

BACK I/O PORTS:
1 x PS/2 keyboard (purple)
1 x PS/2 mouse (green)
1 x HDMI
1 x D-Sub
1 x LAN (RJ45) port(s)
4 x USB 3.0
2 x USB 2.0
3 x Audio jack(s)

DIMENSIONS:
8.9 inch x 8.5 inch ( 22.6 cm x 21.6 cm )

Another MOBO i just saw...worth getting over the micro one?
http://www.startechsandiego.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=675_726&products_id=2964

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
The A8 is definitely a good choice for your price range. You should be able to play all of those games, though you will likely not max out the graphics on newer ones like Starcraft 2.

As for the motherboard issue, it depends on the case. I'm assuming that this is the one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
You can see there that it accepts a Micro ATX board, so either board you mention should be fine.

The price seems decent for those components, though you might be able to find better if you bought from somewhere like NewEgg.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Yeah, the 3850 is a legit entry-level gaming chip. The integrated graphics performance is actually close to the level of a discrete radeon 5550 card. Not super fast, but not shabby either. It's definitely fast enough for the games you mentioned.

Normally DDR3-1333 is fast enough for most machines, but with the AMD APUs, they actually have notably faster graphics performance when you use faster RAM. You should consider getting DDR3-1600 or even DDR3-1866 if the budget allows it.

I'd also get 8GB of RAM minimum. RAM is pretty cheap these days, and 2GB is almost nothing, certainly not enough for a modern machine.

I'll let others chime in about the motherboard ideas.

warcraft7

Reaction score
ya i dont care about like max settings and all that junk lol long as its stable on lowest settings im all good.

Thanks for answers, problem with ordering online is that i dont have a bank account or anything like that. so id either have to ask my friend or get a prepaid card and ive had issues with the cards before. rather just head to that shop and pick it up, plus if i ask theyll proabably help me install everything.

i dont really have an issue with the MOBO in that bundle its just that id like plenty of room to upgrade and that micro atx is..well micro the 2nd one i listed has a lot more slots for expansion things like media readers, dual video cards :3 and junk like that. 1xPCIe doesnt seam like that much...

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
For the games you mentioned it should definitely be more then enough on lowest graphics settings.
4GB of RAM is good too, you really dont need much more then that for most applications. Unless, of course, you want to work with HD videos, then RAM might become an issue, but for the current games this is way beyond what is needed.
With WinXP sc2 has a RAM requirement of 1GB, with Win7 its 2GB.
By the way, i would advice you to switch to 7, it really isnt that bad at all and its fit for the future. You should definitely get a 64bit Operating system if possible. (there is a winXP 64bit Version as well.)

warcraft7

Reaction score
For the games you mentioned it should definitely be more then enough on lowest graphics settings.
4GB of RAM is good too, you really dont need much more then that for most applications. Unless, of course, you want to work with HD videos, then RAM might become an issue, but for the current games this is way beyond what is needed.
With WinXP sc2 has a RAM requirement of 1GB, with Win7 its 2GB.
By the way, i would advice you to switch to 7, it really isnt that bad at all and its fit for the future. You should definitely get a 64bit Operating system if possible. (there is a winXP 64bit Version as well.)

Dont have 200$ to spend on an OS unless...or i could always try that whole hard drive cloning thing so i could just move my laptops hard drive over or something like that...idk ill figure it out still working out the best things ill get out of my money...

Another question, if i got a really good wireless card would that get better reception then a lower teir one on a bad signal? I really need a good one because the router i use is in a back garage outside of where i am all day and if a good wireless card can get me solid internet ill be set. i get 2 bars most of the time its just when people are moving around and slamming doors all day it seams to mess with my signal.

scratch that looks like the internet is being canceled, so im either moving out with my friends family or buying my own, no money for new PC =( great >.>...hope i get this job

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
You can get winxp cheap and go to win 8 for 25 dollar upgrade. (its not quite out but nearly)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I got win7 64bit for 70€ a year ago (or a half year ago? cant remember).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.