Sci/Tech Netflix CEO says broadcast TV will be dead in 16 years

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
During a speech Monday in Mexico City regarding Netflix’s burgeoning presence in Latin America, CEO Reed Hastings explained how broadcast television will be another casualty of evolution. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Hastings claimed “broadcast TV will probably last until 2030,” painting broadcast TV as “kind of like the horse — you know, the horse was good until we had the car.”

Hastings has been spreading the gospel of broadcast TV’s demise for years. Back in April 2013, in an 11-page document posted on Netflix’s website, the maverick CEO predicted a world with no channel bundles and that “over the coming decades internet TV will replace linear TV.” In the year and half since the document was posted, HBO, Showtime and CBS have all announced standalone apps, while satellite provider Dish Network is preparing an over-the-top Internet pay-TV service featuring bundles of Disney-owned properties like ESPN as well as A&E and others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely agree. For me, it is already dead for a couple of years.
On the internet I can watch whatever I want whenever I want it. Why would anybody still use broadcast TV? Its just stupid.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It's got it's benefits. Sometimes I don't want to watch anything in particular or don't know what I want to watch, or I don't even care and don't want to make a decision, I just want something to do. But the TV provides a finite set of shows at any given moment, so it's kind of nice (admittedly it always ends up on Discovery, History, or NatGeo).

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It's got it's benefits. Sometimes I don't want to watch anything in particular or don't know what I want to watch, or I don't even care and don't want to make a decision, I just want something to do. But the TV provides a finite set of shows at any given moment, so it's kind of nice (admittedly it always ends up on Discovery, History, or NatGeo).
Don't forget a whole lot of other channels you won't be watching.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
10 years later and broadcast TV is still a thing and not looking like its going anywhere soon...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.