Partition Magic Error #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
(Note: I am new to this program, lol. I usually format with MS-DOS, but I wanted to do something a bit quicker)

Alright, basically, trying to format the partition (NTFS) of my external USB harddrive (WD 2500AAJ External USB Harddrive 250gb) with PartitionMagic, so I can give it support with the FAT32 filesystem also, along with the NTFS file system. But PartitionMagic looks at my external harddrive as a "BAD" drive:

partition1lx7.jpg

Also, whenever I try to create a new partition on the "BAD" drive, it tells me I cannot. Also, when I right click the "BAD" drive (my USB Harddrive), it gives me the only option to "Format".

partition2xk1.jpg

Now, heres where I get to the problem. Everything goes alright until I get to the part where I am actually formatting the drive, when my computer boots up and loads Windows XP, then PartitionMagic, I get this error, called Error #4,

Code:
Error 4 while executing BatchError 4
Bad argument / parameter

Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be?

Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Is it a pretty recent model of a Seagate external disk?

If so, the answer is: you can't (easily) put anything beside NTFS on it.

EDIT: hmmm, no. WD looks more like Western Digital.
Did you already try to throw away the partition and re-create it? Did you make sure that no applications have files of that disk in use?

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
EDIT: hmmm, no. WD looks more like Western Digital.
Did you already try to throw away the partition and re-create it? Did you make sure that no applications have files of that disk in use?

Yeah, I tried to already format the current partition on the harddrive at the moment, but I keep getting the Error #4 on when PartitionMagic starts after WindowsXP loads. I also tried when there were files, and when there were not files on the external harddrive, same error.

(Oh and it is Western Digital.)

I also do want to put the same NTFS partition on it, its just that it looks at the partition as nothing, therefore, I cant create the partition i want to onto this (FAT32)

(NTFS: 200gb | Fat32: 32gb)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
It might be a Partition Magic thing. Tried another program like Parted Magic or Windows' Disk Management (Start->Run, type diskmgmt.msc and then press Enter)? Why not just use the good old command line format (if the partition is visible, didn't quite understand from your post why you chose to use Partition Magic in the first place).

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
It might be a Partition Magic thing. Tried another program like Parted Magic or Windows' Disk Management (Start->Run, type diskmgmt.msc and then press Enter)? Why not just use the good old command line format (if the partition is visible, didn't quite understand from your post why you chose to use Partition Magic in the first place).

Well, I'm trying to create a FAT32 partition on the harddrive, ill check out Parted Magic really quick and see how it works for me. Oh, and as you probably know, Windows XP cannot create a FAT32 partition without another program

enouwee

Reaction score
Oh, and as you probably know, Windows XP cannot create a FAT32 partition without another program

Where are you getting this from? Of course Windows XP can create FAT32 partitions. Right-click your drive, choose "Format..." and pick FAT32 in the "Filesystem" combo box.

For various reasons (compatibility, cluster size, ...) keep the parition size <=32GB.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Oh, I just want to create a second partition on the harddrive, that is FAT32, and I wasn't gonna make it higher than 32gb, lol...

and I cannot create a FAT32 partition with windows XP on here.

lolcantformatik9.jpg

enouwee

Reaction score
You are trying to format a 232GB partition as FAT32. That's not exactly a smart thing to do, as you'll be wasting quite a lot of space inside every cluster.

First partition your drive (fdisk, Partition Magic, disk management tools), then format.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Forget it, lol. I found a new program. Don't worry. Oh and, I tried Disk Management, but I couldn't find a way to create a partition with it, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.