Report Police in Utah kill more people than gang members do

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The report from Utah comes as many are questioning police use of force around the country, particularly against black men and boys. Several high-profile cases this year — including the deaths of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri; Eric Garner in New York City; and John Crawford and 12-year-old Tamir Rice in Ohio — have sparked outrage and frustration.

There's not much reliable data on how often police kill civilians nationwide. As my colleague Dara Lind explained, the data collected by the FBI on police shootings should be treated as a minimum count, since it's voluntary and therefore incomplete. But the data does give a good idea of who is targeted by police — and there are some clear racial disparities.

Read more here. (Vox)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
How can there not be exact data about peoples deaths? This is the 21st century and your hillbilly country does not even run correct death records?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
How can there not be exact data about peoples deaths? This is the 21st century and your hillbilly country does not even run correct death records?
I just don't have that manpower to do research on this.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
There's not much reliable data on how often police kill civilians nationwide.
I thought this is part of the article and not your personal research.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought this is part of the article and not your personal research.
So, you imply reporters nowadays have the manpower to produce wonderful articles with beautiful data backing them up? Only a few top-notch reporters do that, and they are well-known in the circles.

Manpower is crucial, otherwise you wouldn't' be arguing that the data is insufficient, or precise enough for your needs.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I am saying that the article claims no records about police victims exist. Because that is what the text says.

There shouldnt even be the need to do any big research. There should be public records of everything easily accessible via the internet.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
There shouldnt even be the need to do any big research. There should be public records of everything easily accessible via the internet.

I do agree, but there are rules to follow. Take Massachusetts State as an example:

http://www.mass.gov/ago/government-resources/public-records/

The Massachusetts Public Records Law governs the public's access to government documents and records.
The Supervisor of Public Records, an administrative official located within the Secretary of the Commonwealth's office, is broadly responsible for maintaining the Commonwealth's public records and handles administrative appeals in disputes over whether particular records are subject to, or are exempt from, the general disclosure mandate of the Public Records Law. Please see the Secretary of State's

You can say that general public cannot access the records unless given permission. And permissions cost money, so do reporters obtaining public records and data.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.