Sci/Tech Researchers have discovered a surprisingly simple way to get kids to eat more veggies

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems like an age-old problem — kids not eating their vegetables — and it is. Little ones, more interested in macaroni and cheese than sautéed spinach, are still leaving the latter largely untouched. The proof is both anecdotal — what parent hasn't tussled with this? — and borne out in data. Nine out of 10 children, after all, still don't eat enough vegetables, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The problem has been blamed, at least in part, for the deteriorating diets of American youth. It has also been on clear display ever since the government updated, in 2013, its nutrition standards for the National School Lunch Program. Children, suddenly confronted with vegetables on every plate (as required as part of the change), have responded not by eating them but by leaving them on their plates -- untouched.

It's a poignant example of how kids are really good at making really bad decisions about food. And it has proved pretty frustrating for health and nutrition advocates, who can't seem to find a reasonable way to get children to eat more healthfully at school.

But it turns out there might be an ingenious solution hiding beneath everyone's nose.

Researchers at Texas A&M University, looking for patterns in food consumption among elementary school children, found an interesting quirkabout when and why kids choose to eat their vegetables. After analyzing plate waste data from nearly 8,500 students, it seems there's at least one variable that tends to affect whether kids eat their broccoli, spinach or green beans more than anything: what else is on the plate.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
By throwing the veggies away and replacing them by ice cream

KMilz

Reaction score
What the... you're telling me that children understand the concept of different foods pairing better together than others? Like they can actually taste it or something? Preposterous!

But seriously, you can make most veggies taste pretty good without making them unhealthy. Maybe they should try doing that if they're so fucking concerned. I didn't eat any nasty canned, boiled veggies from school, either.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
What the... you're telling me that children understand the concept of different foods pairing better together than others? Like they can actually taste it or something? Preposterous!

But seriously, you can make most veggies taste pretty good without making them unhealthy. Maybe they should try doing that if they're so fucking concerned. I didn't eat any nasty canned, boiled veggies from school, either.

Or they just need to add a bit more sea salt, and every vegetables will be dandy to eat. Sea salt just cost 20 cents more per package, so why it's a big deal when purchasing ingredients I have no idea...

KMilz

Reaction score
Salt and sea salt taste the same to 99.9% of people. The only noticeable difference is textural, which does make a big difference depending on how it's used, admittedly. Personally though, I'd prefer to save the sea salt for meats and desserts and just use regular salt on the veggies. But that's just my preference.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I would prefer kids to have extra bit of minerals in their daily diets.

KMilz

Reaction score
I would prefer kids to have extra bit of minerals in their daily diets.
Then you'd want to avoid sea salt and go for table salt since sea salt offers no nutritional value and table salt contains iodide, a necessary mineral, correct?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Then you'd want to avoid sea salt and go for table salt since sea salt offers no nutritional value and table salt contains iodide, a necessary mineral, correct?

I was mistaken? In all of my life, I was lied...

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Or maybe "vegetables" don't really exist.. and maybe if they weren't comparing crap to crap, then kids would actually like the stuff and eat it - this is like going a step in the wrong direction, by making everything crappy as opposed to raising the standards of vegetables...

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Veggies.. It's a matter of taste!
Why not give them a choice between three vegetables or so?!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.