World Russian clocks go back for last time

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It will also increase its time zones from nine to 11, from the Pacific to the borders of the European Union.

For the last three years, Russia experimented with keeping permanent summer time, but it proved to be highly unpopular with many Russians.

The Soviet Union introduced Daylight Saving Time in 1981.

In 2011, then President Dmitry Medvedev introduced measures to reduce Russia's time zones to nine, and to keep summer time all year round.

Russians put their clocks forward one hour but did not put them back in winter time.

Changing times in the seasons disrupted people's biorhythms and even upset cows, Mr Medvedev said.

Read more here. (BBC)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a friend of summer / winter time. That stuff should have been abandoned long ago.
There is no room for these ancient traditions in the 21st century.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I am not a friend of summer / winter time. That stuff should have been abandoned long ago.
There is no room for these ancient traditions in the 21st century.

for that matter time zones should also be phased out at some time..

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Why would we get rid of time zones? So that my noon can be in the middle of the night?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't that be called "noon"? Who defines these anyway?

Varine

Reaction score
Because that's midnight. Noon is halfway through the sky. If we get rid of time zones, then the world would be all following UTC. So, when the sun is setting in Europe, it would be the same time as in america when it rises. So there are all sorts of problems that come with it. Daylight savings is juat because farmers were like feminists and bitched to get more equalities for themselves.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Because that's midnight. Noon is halfway through the sky. If we get rid of time zones, then the world would be all following UTC. So, when the sun is setting in Europe, it would be the same time as in america when it rises. So there are all sorts of problems that come with it. Daylight savings is juat because farmers were like feminists and bitched to get more equalities for themselves.
That's a good reason to counter Slapshot136's argument. I rest my case, even if it is too obvious to argue about it.

Varine

Reaction score
I just don't see any real argument to remove time zones. Yeah, a universal time would have practical advantages as far as economic trading and levels of international communication go, but it has very obvious disadvantages for day to day necessities, like being able to see in the day. Time zones make a uniform day - not a true one, but a fairly simple one that effectively gives everyone an average idea of where the sun is at. At noon, in general it should be in the middle of your sky, at midnight, in general, in the middle of the sky opposite you.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate Daylight savings time. It would save Billions if not Trillions if they got rid of it over the long run. Plus - the damn sun is in my eyes consistently on my way to work because of this crap. Change is a coming....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.