Sci/Tech Salty Water Flows on Mars Today, Boosting Odds for Life

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Liquid water flows on Mars today, boosting the odds that life could exist on the Red Planet, a new study suggests.

The enigmatic dark streaks on Mars — called recurring slope lineae (RSL) — that appear seasonally on steep, relatively warm Martian slopes are caused by salty liquid water, researchers said.

"Liquid water is a key requirement for life on Earth," study lead author Lujendra Ojha, of the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, told Space.com via email. "The presence of liquid water on Mars' present-day surface therefore points to environment that are more habitable than previously thought."

Ojha was part of the team that first discovered RSL in 2011, by studying images captured by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera aboard NASA'sMars Reconnaissance Orbiter(MRO).

Read more here. (Space)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
How come all names of US researchers sound like they belong to immigrants?

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Remember your idea for curing the obesity 'crisis?' That plan was already implemented to help counter the stupidity crisis. To little avail.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
How come all names of US researchers sound like they belong to immigrants?
If you're gonna be like that, take a look at the last names of some of the most celebrated researchers of all times. They're almost always German.
Also, if you can't answer your question on your own, just look at what America did to the near east.

jonas

Reaction score
Last I checked salty water does NOT boost odds for cellular life

KMilz

Reaction score
We're talking about foreigners, not science, damnit!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember your idea for curing the obesity 'crisis?' That plan was already implemented to help counter the stupidity crisis. To little avail.
Why? To me it looks like this article is proof that its working.

KMilz

Reaction score
But it didn't do anything about all the stupid people.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
It didnt do something against ALL the stupid people but it certainly did something against some of them if you did it right.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It didnt do something against ALL the stupid people but it certainly did something against some of them if you did it right.
Plus, they just started a trial run, so expect more/less to happen accurately within the next few years.

KMilz

Reaction score
Well now I forget exactly what you said. I thought we were just bringing in more skinny people to offset all the fatties in the original suggestion. Were we talking about eating the fatties, too, or something? Otherwise it might work at bringing the overall percentage down, but won't give us any fewer fatties. Or dumb-fucks, as in the current suggestion.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Well now I forget exactly what you said. I thought we were just bringing in more skinny people to offset all the fatties in the original suggestion. Were we talking about eating the fatties, too, or something? Otherwise it might work at bringing the overall percentage down, but won't give us any fewer fatties. Or dumb-fucks, as in the current suggestion.
Why would no one want that? Just start an exchange program. You export fat americans to starving families in asia and import their smartest kids to work in your death factories. Everbody is happy and the statistics look amazing.

KMilz

Reaction score
Oh, my bad. That would work, then. I guess we just haven't been doing it right.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.