Sci/Tech Scientists Identify Genes Associated With Violent Crime

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
For the most part, we’re all products of our genes, the chemical codes that determine how our bodies are made up. That being said, we’re not slaves to our DNA and environmental factors are also known to play a big part. So can we blame certain behaviors, such as the act of committing a violent crime, on the chemistry that we’re born with?

Scientists have been contemplating this for some time, and although it has been suggested that our life experiences probably contribute to around half of the influence, evidence in support of this idea was lacking. But now, a new study on a large bunch of criminals has started to reveal some important genetic clues. After examining the DNA profiles of almost 1,000 criminals, two particular genes were found to be associated with violent, but not non-violent, behaviors. However, it’s important to note that simply possessing this combination of genes does not mean that you are going to commit a crime, and there’s probably a heap of other factors that also play a significant role.

As described in the journal Molecular Psychiatry, to probe whether certain genes could be contributing to the likelihood of committing violent behaviors, researchers looked at the genetic make-up of close to 900 criminals in Finland. The offenders had either committed violent, such as homicide, or non-violent offences. They also took into account environmental factors, such as childhood or substance abuse. After comparing the genetic profiles of these individuals with that of the general population, they identified two particular gene variants that were associated with extremely violent behavior.

One gene, which had a lower than normal activity in the violent offenders, was responsible for a protein called monoamine oxidase A (MAOA), and the other produced a member of the cadherin family, CDH13. The former contributes to the turnover of a molecule called dopamine which plays a major role in addiction and helps control the brain’s reward and pleasure centers. The latter is a sticky cell surface protein that has been linked to substance abuse and ADHD.

Last edited:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Passive aggression? I can't come bitch slap your ass for wanting some ridiculous, gluten free, low fat, organic, local, is-it-frozen? vegan bullshit. But, I can put a little extra hate into your food the entire duration I'm handling it. If it's convenient, I'll get the most frozen thing I can, just so I have extra time to infer my hate on it. And then I will put little to no effort into plating it. And then I'll remember you, for a short time, as some fucking asshole. And if I meet you later because you remind me of this order (has happened - 'oh you work here? This fucking bullshit you maybe made'), and you will forever be an asshole. But, I never once committed even a contestable display of active violence - kapow. #Psychology#bitches

Snowbizzle

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Slapshot: The entire sentence is, "After examining the DNA profiles of almost 1,000 criminals, two particular genes were found to be associated with violent, but not non-violent, behaviors."

In other words, the genes are associated with violent behaviors, but the genes are not associated with non-violent behaviors. The authors are not saying that violent and non-violent behaviors are equivalent, they are distinguishing between them. The gene could, theoretically, encourage violent behaviors and nonviolent behaviors. They are saying that, in fact, it does not--it is only associated with violent behaviors. Hope that helps.

Varine, remind me never to eat anything from wherever the hell it is you work.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Don't - while you're at it, you might as well not go to any restaurant. If you think me hating you and making you wait because you're an idiot is bad, you should see what happens at lesser establishments. I also totally misread what he was asking so that post probably makes little to sense.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.