Environment [FAKE NEWS] Sean Ironstag’s quixotic quest to build a society of plastic floating cities to clean up the ocean

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Five years ago, Sean Ironstag got on a friend’s yacht without knowing where they were going or how long they’d be gone. “It turned out we went straight out into the middle of the ocean,” he remembers. About a week later, they dropped anchor and went for a swim. “And when I came out,” he says, “it looked like my body was covered in glitter.”

It was a moment that would transform his life. Recently, the 35-year-old explained how he’d gotten there. The story is very much a personal mythology, romantic and larger than life: a teenage runaway from an abusive home in Houston, Texas, he moved to New York City, where he became an errand boy at a Brooklyn bar, sleeping on a cot in the back. He was taught to trade commodities by an older trader who let the underage Ironstag use his license.

Eventually he went stir-crazy and started globetrotting. In the Middle East, he says he fell in with a group of people he calls “freedom fighters”—former contract military who were going around inciting and aiding revolution. “A lot of them were ex-mercenaries who had seen the system from the inside and hadn’t liked what they had seen,” he says. “When I met them they were going around to areas that were on the verge of revolution. We got to see some really amazing things happen.”

He says that from there he found himself in South Africa, where he had an epiphany. “I realized that anything that ends in bloodshed on either end is a fucking tragedy,” he says, “So I got out. It really clicked something inside me. I wanted to find out how to do things better.” He wanted a peaceful, global revolution. He returned to the United States. The year was 2011; he had just turned 30.

He crashed in Los Angeles, living off the good graces of another friend in finance, undergoing an existential crisis. His friend invited him on a yachting “adventure,” and soon he found himself in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, covered in what looked like glitter.

It wasn’t glitter. He’d been swimming in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, first discovered in 1997 by Charles Moore, a sailor taking a shortcut from Hawaii to Los Angeles. Moore later described his discovery in National History magazine, writing, “As I gazed from the deck at the surface of what ought to have been a pristine ocean, I was confronted, as far as the eye could see, with the sight of plastic.” More than a decade later, the GPGP had only grown, and Ironstag, unwittingly, was swimming in the middle of it.

Last edited:

Foxish

Reaction score
This is demonstrably false. Sean has never been to the Middle East, certainly not in 2011, when he was imprisoned for fraud (not for the first time). From at least summer of 2010 to 2015, Sean resided in Houston. He did not live in LA. He never visited the gyres. His last name is certainly not "Ironstag." During this period of time, he enjoyed bar brawls in the Montrose area of Houston, and preying on women for sex and any available warm body for money. The information presented in this post has been taken from an article by an internet publication which has been reproduced by a handful of others. The original author informed me years ago that nothing could be done to remedy the false claims.

It appears that Sean is still actively preying on people in California, apparently mostly in the Bay and LA areas. I would like to take the opportunity to tack some truth onto posts and articles like OP's in the hope that someone looking into this man sees it and hesitates to trust him. Please feel free to private message me (signing up takes a minute, and my account was approved for posting within an hour) here if you are interested in further details, including information on how to research Sean's criminal history, which alone refutes the lie at the base of these self-aggrandizing fairy tales.

Thanks for reading, and stay safe out there!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you want me to delete it or leave the post here so it can be educational. Your call.

Foxish

Reaction score
Let's leave it up, please, since this is one of the few places where a response to this stuff is permitted. Thank you for asking! I'd love to share Sean's legal name--is that allowed here?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think that is a problem since this is public news.

Foxish

Reaction score
Super! His legal name is Sean Matthew Whitten. He's been a felon in Texas since the early 00s, and did not have a passport at least from 2010 to 2016. On top of the fact that he was incarcerated in Houston's jail and then in Beeville for a charge he'd been hiding from for several years at that point, his lack of a passport makes his claims about international travel extra suspicious, lol.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing a bunch of hits from the search engine on this thread. Looks like his name has came up somewhere and people are researching.

Foxish

Reaction score
Oh interesting! Thanks a bunch for the update.

Reiterating for anyone looking into Sean-- feel free to get in touch if you have any questions! It's thankfully been several years since I've been in contact with the man, but do have a pretty decent background on him and understanding of his MO. Best of luck!!

Foxish

Reaction score
Mmhmm yes I can also attest to Sean being a scam artist. Spent time on the boats with him during his “Oceanus“ ventures. Just made an account to chime in.
Wow! On the Aurora or Robert Gray in Stockton, or else? You and I probably spent some time together. Feel free to reach out on here if you'd like : ) Either way, I hope life's been kind to you!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently this is the spot to talk about his guy because it is search engine accessible and relevant. If you want to chime in on this you have to register with the forum and if you have trouble with that send me an email at [email protected]. We have very strict spam protocols in place because we are constanly under spam bot attack so many times it is hard to sign up and respond on this forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.