Security Issues With Holotable(Online Card Game Program)

SanKakU

Reaction score
So, we play this game, Star Wars Customizable Card Game(SWCCG).

I do not know much about the details of how things are run, but the ones running Holotable do not have much help with their volunteer work. They don't really have time to go looking for help at the moment, so I am volunteering to go ask for help for them. This wouldn't be such a pressing issue, except they are insistent on shutting down the Holotable service while the Security Issues persist, at least for the moment, anyway.

You see, I am not involved in any way in making Holotable happen, which is the platform for SWCCG for online play. I am just another user of the program. But I love the program and don't like seeing it disabled temporarily.

There are 2 main sites you should be aware of, holotable.com, and starwarsccg.org. The first one is where the holotable program hails from. And the second is the primary site where the players post information about the game.

If you are interested in helping us with this program, you can start by downloading files from holotable.com, and you can get on starwarsccg.org and join the chat. Since the antagonist has been banned from this .org site, you should be able to chat there out of view of him, while if you posted to the main forums, he would see your posts as an unregistered member perhaps...unless moderators moved your posts to a secure location. You could send some private messages asking for such a service, I suppose. But I am not certain they would/could do that on a whim. I think the person to ask for such a thing would be the user known as JediJer.

Ok, so what is the problem? Well, it appears he is capable of not merely name-hacking(posing as someone he's not), but also things like hrmm...ARGH...I feel like I want to draw up a big poster in irfanview to describe everything! But I don't have time at the moment! I'll just post links to threads and excerpts from them that I think are important at the moment.

The following is a post from an extremely rude forum poster who chose to 'antagonize' the hacker antagonist.

http://www.starwarsccg.org/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=55&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=2&t=47532

0yFlC.jpg

"you know what, i think you hacked your game client" - the hacker
It is obvious that, he chose to do what he accused the player of doing. There is speculation that he was able to hack not just names and effectively kicking people off of holotable, but also able to do things like minerals/gas hack(well we don't have that in swccg but you get the point by the starcraft illustration, i suppose), but nothing has been confirmed about such speculation at the moment.

The following is the first great posted thread we had about the problem, but it is closed, now.

http://www.starwarsccg.org/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=55&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=2&t=47668

"21:44:00 Darren Pilbeam: i'm not joking
21:44:08 Darren Pilbeam: tell Darren that i've reset his password to **** (edited for forum post)
21:44:21 Darren Pilbeam: you should also mention to whoever runs holotable
21:44:30 Darren Pilbeam: to update the SQL code powering the backend
21:44:38 spideyguy0: i dont even know what that means
21:44:51 Darren Pilbeam: basically i have root access to the server right now
21:44:55 Darren Pilbeam: so i can appear as any user i want
21:45:07 spideyguy0: do you know their passwords or you can just appear as them>
21:45:16 Darren Pilbeam: i can just appear as them
21:45:20 Darren Pilbeam: i can reset their passwords
21:45:23 Darren Pilbeam: and login that way"
- posted by spideyguy0, derived from chat log from Holotable.

That confirms that he was denying players from being able to use Holotable, even if temporarily. This Darren Pilbeam is actually apparently a bad-mannered guy, but to his credit he is an important figure in the community, as he runs the online league. Attacking this guy's identity on Holotable was a great outrage. If he had attacked mine, probably 'nobody' would care. Likewise, apparently he attacked Jimli's identity(someone more well-known than I am), and not enough of an upset was caused by it.

The following is an additional complaint, which might have some extra information that could be useful.

http://www.starwarsccg.org/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=55&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=2&t=47804

"this guy lostmantric/ pentotonic/ whatever has not learned his lesson. Made me crash trying to observe a game by spamming requests, which I accepted. See attached screen shot. Please, this is not the way for you to enter our community. We need a manners guide for holotable written but I am too tired to do it now. Apology not accepted." - rrrtebow

Yeah, this hack seemed like the imfamous 'drophack' that we will see in Blizzard's games sometimes, like the countdown timer box popping up(or even not popping up) or whatever.

Whoa, forgot to post this one:

http://www.starwarsccg.org/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=55&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=2&t=47864

"So after yet another scuffle between me and him on Holotable last night, he has hacked my account and IP-banned me from holotable.com. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was him under a different name until later in the game, otherwise I wouldn't have played him in the first place." - Bib Fortuna from starwarsccg.org

So, anyone that can help, or that thinks they can help, please check out Holotable, get in touch with the appropriate people, and get this thing figured out for us, please. I'm getting tired of this program getting shut down because this guy is such a huge troll. I'll admit I don't enjoy most of the games I played against him, but getting wordy with him and pissing him off to the point of him running off and grabbing hacks to ruin Holotable wasn't such a great action by some of the members of our community. Nevertheless, we are who we are and we will tell someone off in our own way.

I will post a link to this thread at your request, so that SWCCG players can come here and make some posts, in case anyone would like to talk to them, rather than just relying on you going to starwarsccg.org. Nevertheless, I still strongly encourage you to make an account over there if you really are interested in this program Holotable, or at the least the Star Wars Customizable Card Game.

So, to the Computer Program Security Person, what have you to post about all of this?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.