Report Sleep Scientists Want Your Workdays to Start Later

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A team of sleep scientists have an idea and I think we'd better hear them out: One way to ensure that adults get more sleep could be to focus on "delaying the morning start time of work," or at least making it more flexible. 10 a.m. seems reasonable, offers a paper published online this week in the journal SLEEP.

After analyzing results from 124,517 American adults on their sleep and work habits, as recorded in the American Time Use Surveys from 2003 to 2011, lead study author Dr. Mathias Basner of the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine and colleagues found an (unsurprising) association between earlier starting times for work or school and less time spent sleeping. "Results show that with every hour that work or educational training started later in the morning, sleep time increased by approximately 20 minutes," explains the press release. "Respondents slept an average of only 6 hours when starting work before or at 6 a.m. and 7:29 hours when starting work between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m."

The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends that adults get seven to nine hours of sleep a night, though a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control shows that a third of workers only get around six. This new paper suggests that sleep scientists should advocate for later or more flexible starting times for work and class, and I sincerely wish them luck on this endeavor.

Source. (New York Magazine, Science of Us)

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
get more sleep could be to focus on "delaying the morning start time of work," or at least making it more flexible. 10 a.m. seems reasonable]
But who wants that?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
If it boosts productivity and mood for me, I'd do it. I just have to be careful traveling at night.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Cheshire, if everyone shifted I would be off the same time everyone else.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
If a company is willing to do it, even if it is experimenting with new policies, then why would you still think it is impossible to do? It is up to the upper management to decide if it is profitable or not, and if it is, do you want to see your company earn less than it could?

This is just a simple "Would you do it?" type scenario for Management, but you can go deeper into the philosophical and psychological parts of this decision just by obtaining a poll result from your employees. If they are okay with it, like say 80% or more, then go ahead, plus give it 2 weeks notice in advance. If the results show there's less than 80%, don't do it. Simple and easy.

Last edited:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
If a company is willing to do it, even if it is experimenting with new policies, then why would you still think it is impossible to do? It is up to the upper management to decide if it is profitable or not, and if it is, do you want to see your company earn less than it could?
Companies with "rolling deadlines" would have a big issue. No?
Well, If they don't manage to delivery, They would lose customers and the money. No?

Anyway. If "all employees" want to change the time, and the company say yes. That's another matter!

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Companies with "rolling deadlines" would have a big issue. No?
Well, If they don't manage to delivery, They would lose customers and the money. No?

Anyway. If "all employees" want to change the time, and the company say yes. That's another matter!
And that matter answers your question.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.