SPELL CONTEST #2 | Theme: Forbidden Arts | RESULTS POSTED

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
And a similar question - when will the next contest take place? And have you decided what kind? :D

why not making a hero contest actually? :rolleyes:
a contest on making the coolest, most balanced and most unique hero
this way you'll have to make multiple spells, so this is also a spell contest

making some baddass imbalanced spells in these kind of contests is really worthless in my opinion, I mean most of these spells are dumped and nobody uses them anymore after the contest finishes..

cheers! :thup:

EDIT: omg my replies are always starting a new page lol

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Hero contest would be cool, but then we should be able to do some nice art for that hero too. ( Hero & effect models, custom skins, textures, icons etc. )

Making a cool hero with custom spells only is kinda difficult.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
Let's discuss that later on. :p

I'm wonder that GooS went disappear from nowhere. xD
I am losing my patience too. :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a good idea for the next contest. :)
Expect it soon. :D

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
What about posting the result for this contest now ( NOW ) ?

no?

I knew it...

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
666! Oww have to spread around before I can neg-rep you T_T.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with this. Just had to post something as a sign of my impatience or w/e it's called.

Edit: And increasing my own post count to the elite number.

Reaction score
Impatience, not dispatience... maybe. Or it's something else. Don't know, English is weird when it comes to opposite expressions. Anyway, can't you just forget GooS' results and end this contest once and for all? He seems quite a trifler, no offense.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
Impatience, not dispatience... maybe. Or it's something else. Don't know, English is weird when it comes to opposite expressions. Anyway, can't you just forget GooS' results and end this contest once and for all? He seems quite a trifler, no offense.

yeah you're right, it's impatience. Also, I wouldn't mind dropping GooS' scores, but I don't care too much either way, as long as something gets done in the next few days

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
I've now got the results from GooS, too.

I'll do some math, format the comments and post the results later today or tomorrow!

Hopefully today...

as you can see, GooS is not needed anymore ;)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
GooS has finished his grading.
All that's left is for Sir.Pandaman to average it out.

Patience is a waste of time anyway.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Sorry you guys for making you wait so long, but telling him to drop them the day after he's gotten them seems off. I mean It's not the adding scores together that takes time.

Anyways, hope you get the score you think you deserve.

//==GooS

Reaction score
My mistake, sorry. I apologize.

> I've now got the results from GooS, too.
I've skipped this part while rereading the previous page, my bad. Well, I hope the results come soon cuz I can't wait to see how I've failed.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
seems to me that since everyone has all the scores, a quick 5 min excel sheet and they should be posted...

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
O shii-ii-iit. I have 666 post, gottas post somehting real fast. This thread looks good. Sorry. Submit.

edit. 668 ?? Whatthehell just happened?

Anywasy, can some of the judges leak hes scores to impatient crowd?

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Larcenist – Soul Burn

1st Place

soulBurn.jpg

Andrewgosu:

The coding was efficient and leak-free. Persons who are not familar with vJASS syntax might be a little scared, though, when you do „set N: D = d“. „Omg, a colon...“

In terms of special effects, it looked nice. Not too much, not too little. However, in my opinion, it would have looked better, if the target faded from blue to back to its original colour in a smooth way, not instantly. You could have also used some kind of ice explosion effect on the target the same time when the soul exploded in a fiery fashion.

The spell is one of the uniquest of the bunch. I tortured those poor peasants and I it felt good! Though, wouldn't Soul Drain fit more better?...

GooS:

Unique:
Very nice and unique a top notch spell.

Well done:
Yes, extremely well done, how the soul separates from the body, and the body gets darker, it’s beautiful, I love how clean it is, I love how simple it looks, a real masterpiece in my eyes. Though still there are some things I’d like to change, such as the lighting effects and I’d go with a shadow effect instead of a fire one.

Spammed:
No way.​

0001larcenist.jpg

~GaLs~ – Blood Curse

2nd Place

bloodCurse.jpg

Andrewgosu:

The „BCConstant“ struct members could have easily been globals. The wisp library you created could also been blended with the spell itself. Right now you just do bj calls, basically.

There were a lot of special effects and it was difficult to see what was going on. However, they fit together well.

The push back at the end of the spell was choppy. It didn't feel that forbidden, had a more bloody theme to it, but the spell was quite fun, overall.

GooS:

Theme: Yes

Unique Appearance:
Real unique appearance, smooth and good transitions, the way the blood swirls in towards the caster and then a sweet blood splatter.

Well done:
I had fun with this one, it looks great, the effects seem spammed (very full) but they aren’t, they produce no lag or real FPS drops, smooth and blocks no vision yet are still very visible. I would have liked another blood spatter in the end. All in all, really nice though there are some minor things I’d like to see changed such as already said and the Flame Strike AoE effects.

Spammed
Yes and no, nothing I think should deduct points.​

0002gals.jpg

Kenny! – Soul Transferral

3rd Place

soulTransferral.jpg

Andrewgosu:

„DistanceXY“ and „AngleXY“ are just bj-s and you can call them directly. You don't need to null struct members inside destroy methods. Otherwise coded nicely. Leak-free and MUI.

The corpse explosion and the skull coming out from it looked very creepy and excellent, but the blue nova didn't fit with them that well, in my opinion.

The spell itself felt quite „forbidden“, but it did too much at the same time, really...Took me aeons to read the tool tip. However, aside from that, a very fun spell to play around with it. Kept me busy for like 10 minutes.

GooS:

Theme: Yes

Unique Appearance:
Well, yes, but not much to show for it.

Well done:
The effects doesn't fit with each other, the soul rising from the bodies are grim while the projectile art and AoE effect looks way more arcane than anything, additionally a smoother effect in the AoE would have been better than something so instant, be it because of the model used or code.

Spammed:
Not in a lifetime.​

0003kenny.jpg

And here are the following contestants with the amounts of points they scored.

FFMaster

0004ffmaster.jpg

Draphoelix

0005_draepholix.jpg

Tom Jones

0006tomjones.jpg

mr-death

0007mrdeath.jpg

emjlr3

0008hulk3.jpg

Viikuna

0009viikuna.jpg

Dirac

0010dirac.jpg

scorpion182

0011scorpion.jpg

Tyrande_ma3x

0012tyrandemax.jpg

No_exit

0013noexit.jpg

Genkora

0014genkora.jpg

kingkingyyk3

0015kingy.jpg

Redeamed

0016redeamed.jpg

Cutecumber

0017cutecumber.jpg

free_killing

0018freekilling.jpg

0019-910.jpg

Stratovarious

0020stratovarius.jpg

Attachments

• Andrewgosu-comments.txt
    11.9 KB · Views: 283
  • GooS-comments.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 283

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Congratulations to the winners!

As for them who don't find them from the list, read the comments why.

Anyway, thank you all, who joined the contest!

Happy mapping!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.