Square control

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I thought it was about time to make an extensive post about the map that I'm currently focusing on. It was started as a test map to learn the basics and it's the single thing that learned me the most about the data editor.

Here's a quick match between me and the AI. This is the AI before I nerfed the unit composition it uses. It took me and two friends 2 tries to beat this AI 3v1 and we only beat it with a good amount of cooperation and abuse of the AI's lack of detection.
[video=youtube;qUwNFnC9JME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUwNFnC9JME[/video]

The map is divided into 5x5 square-formed areas and supports up to 8 players. The mission is to capture all of the squares. Each square got an outpost in the middle. You capture a square by damaging the bunker down to 85% health(It got a max health of 10,000)
8Z7bI.jpg

Each square contains an outpost able to produce 33 different units(11 terran units, 11 protoss units and 11 zerg units). However in the start you will only be able to produce marines, zerglings and zealots since you lack the the upgrades for the other units. Which brings me to the next point:

Tech Tree
Each unit got 3 different upgrades to choose from(33 units * 3 upgrades = 99 upgrades). Yes, there's a total of 99 unit upgrades and they're not boring ones like +1 armor.

What about a zealot with a chance on hit to create a hallucinated zealot? Banelings with slow movement while burrowed? Archons with a bouncing attack? Lifestealing mutalisks? Overclocked Thors? Entrenched Marauders?

Let me explain the tech tree format. Each tech tree(one for each race) got 6 tiers.

Let's take terran as an example. The first tier is the marine, therefore if you check the Terran tech tree you can choose between 3 upgrades for the marine(Stimpack, Combat Shield or Flashbang). For now you can only pick one of them, I might change that later.
23vjmsw.jpg

When you've upgraded an upgrade for the marine, your next upgrade will be the tier 2 unit. Terran's tier 2 consists of the Marauder and the Hellion.

1zxpcf9.jpg

Let's say I pick the Marauder, I will now be able to produce it from my outposts. The top "Research one of the units above first" box will also disappear revealing 3 upgrades for the tier 2 unit I picked.
2pp08k5.jpg

Nothing is stopping you from tech switching between races at any time in the game. What about a roach/medivac combo?

Each upgrade costs 5 research points. Which brings me to the next part.

Income

You get research points and minerals every 55 seconds. The reason for the long time between incomes is that the game can be very apm intensive at times with several battles going on in different places(not to mention the addition of several abilities that require more micro)

Research points are used for the tech tree and some special abilities available in your outpost. Minerals are used for all the units.

Your research point income depends on the amount of outposts you control. The outer layer of outposts give +1 income each. All the other outposts give +2 income each except the middle one which gives +5 income.

As you can see, the deeper you go into the map, the more valuable it gets. However, protecting the middle square can be hard and since it's in the middle it's very exposed and vulnerable.

Your mineral income is 5 times your research income.

Here are some pictures of the map in action:

Picture shows Uber fields, Archon's psi chain attack(barely visible on the large overclocked Thors), High Templar's plasma bolt attack, Science vessels with nano-repair and some diamondbacks trying to flank but they are cut-off by the Uber Fields cast by the sentries.
50l8xc.jpg

Cloaked Ghost lockdowns an Odin(A thor with one of the upgrades)
zk09iv.jpg

Marines are defending against a Zerg raid. Fortunately the Raven can support by calling down temporary barricade structures for a small mana cost.
s42pg1.jpg

Brood Lords with upgraded broodlings are attacking the bunker but are intercepted by enemy vikings. However, the hydras are there to bring them down to the ground with ensnare.
72pqiv.jpg

Zealots are engaging a marine force, the numbers looked to be in the Terran's favor but due to the Mirror image upgrade the marine's are soon overwhelmed by real and hallucinated Zealots.
k2cqpc.jpg

The blue player decided to get the Leap upgrade for the Zerglings allowing them to quickly close the gap between them and the marines by leaping forward in the air.
2efq63q.jpg

All upgrades are not done yet, I've done 75% so far and that's the major part of the job. It's also the think that's been really helpful for learning the data editor. Since all the upgrades aren't done yet, the ones that are incomplete are disabled in the tech tree. Each unit has at least one finished upgrade.

Tell me what you think, and please give me some suggestions about the terrain. I know it looks boring but I don't really know how to improve it. I want it simple and clean yet not too monotone and boring.

It is currently published on EU and NA with the name "Square Control" but it hasn't been played a lot so it's waaaaay down in the list and I wont try to make it popular until I finish all the upgrades.

There is quite hard AI available. Just add a computer opponent in lobby and be prepared to lose if you don't bring like 2-3 friends. The AI does not cheat in any way but it has very good macro and an abusive build.

Bug and balance reports can be reported here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dHVQbmdHcEE0UFBDcmFYUFR1RHd0RGc6MQ#gid=0 or in this thread.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
Does the AI have different difficulties according to the very easy, easy, medium etc. in lobby? Cause I had 2 on Very easy and easily won

Siretu

Reaction score
The difficulty settings does not change the AI in any way. I would be very interested in the replay because beating two AIs should be very hard(although I did make the AI easier, the first version was hard 4v1)

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
I just quickly took some squares, massed marauders with concussive upgrades (Both AI's went stalker/zealot) After marauders I massed some wraiths, then a few banshees. Then switched over and got a bunch of mutas. The computers still only got stalkers/zealots. Also there's something wrong with banshees. When I attack moved them, they didn't attack, they also wouldn't attack on their own, they would run away

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I just quickly took some squares, massed marauders with concussive upgrades (Both AI's went stalker/zealot) After marauders I massed some wraiths, then a few banshees. Then switched over and got a bunch of mutas. The computers still only got stalkers/zealots.

The AI picks it's course of action from the start and doesn't change, you can even see a message appear at the start saying that computer us going Stalker/Zealot or Queen/(roaches or lings, i forget what exactly) etc

Siretu

Reaction score
I just quickly took some squares, massed marauders with concussive upgrades (Both AI's went stalker/zealot) After marauders I massed some wraiths, then a few banshees. Then switched over and got a bunch of mutas. The computers still only got stalkers/zealots. Also there's something wrong with banshees. When I attack moved them, they didn't attack, they also wouldn't attack on their own, they would run away

I think that means I'll have to add some micro to the protoss AI. Right now the other AIs are more powerful against player's(try playing again and see if you can beat the zerg AI) but the protoss AI is best in 1v1 against other computer.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I played it and it seemed kinda easy vs the AI as well, I played a 4 player FFA (vs 3 computers) - I even got the middle fairly easily, do they prioritize the center at all?

Siretu

Reaction score
I have to play some more against the AI. It seems like they're a lot easier after the latest patch. They were much harder before. The center is not prioritized by the AI in that sense, but the attack pattern will bring it to the middle more often than not.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.