Starcraft video problem

D

dnx

hi

when i`m start starcraft i get the following message:

"
DIRECT DRAW ERROR
starcraft was unable to switch video modes. To correct this problem set Dektop Area to 640 x 480 and Color Palette to 256 colors............"

i have 1024 x 768 x 32 bit
tryed all resolutions and nothing...

have a duron 1300 mhz, 320 ram (sis 640, 8-64 mb video) and direct x 9

what is the problem?
can someone help me?
thanx

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Manually change your desktop resolution to 640x480 and 256 colors. That is what Starcraft uses and you can get that error when the game tries to switch to that resolution.

Don't confuse the situation. Starcraft was designed to work in 640x480 and 256 colors. When you start the game, if you are not in that specific mode Starcraft will try to switch - if it can't then you get the error. If you start out in that mode then it will not have to switch.

Also, you should make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card and the latest version of Direct X. Download the latest drivers from your video card's manufacturers website and get the latest version of Direct X from Windows update.

D

dnx

thanx for the quick reply
but it seems that i dont have that resolution available in the display properties
i only have 16 and 32 bit color modes, no 8 bit :(
is there a way to force that mode?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to provide more information about your computer setup - I have to know what I am working with. Specifically I need to know if you are using a desktop or laptop computer, I need to know what kind of video card you have, what kind of monitor you are using, and what your Operating System is in order to help you further. Thanks.

V

Victor

Hey, I have the same problem with my new laptop.

It's a Toshiba Satellite M70 running Windows XP Home (5.1.2600 Service Pack 2) with ATI Mobility Radeon x700 (8.162.0.0) video card.

Any help possible?

I

Impulse.cF-

To change to 640x480 @ 256 colour u do this:

right click desktop choose properties
click advanced and click settings
go to adapter in the settings menu
and click list modes
at the very top u should see the res @ 256 colours, click it
hit ok, apply and vala!!

Tell me if this works 4 u

-Impulse.cF-

U

Unregistered

Got the same problem on Toshiba Satellite M70!! Any help?!

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
Have you tried the above suggestions for this problem? That will very likely be the fix for it.

O

orange

yeah, but i can't choose 640x480@256 colors (8 bit)

there just options for 1024 and 1280 resolutions at 16 and 32 bit...

There really is no option for choosing 256 colors...

got the same graphiccard -> ATI Radeon X700 ... [driver version 8.162.0.0]

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
No, you have to go into the shortcut's properties and change it. Right click on Startcraft's Shortcut and click on Properties. Then go under the compatability tab. That's where you'll find the options.
Have you tried updating your video card drivers as well?

[EDIT]
Sorry, I was wrong in saying follow the above directions. Those were wrong and I misread them. :eek:

O

orange

yeah, these were the first things I tried as all people having this problem...

the problems seems to be that this particular ATI driver isn't able to change in 256 color mode... and I really don't know if the latest driver is able to do so or if there really is a ATI driver left that is still able to change to 256 colors...

HL2 = no problem, SC = doesnt work

*shrug* :(

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
Hmm. Well you can see if an earlier driver supports you card, if you've already tried the latest one and some different compatabiliy modes.

And with older games, sometimes that's the case. When I tried running NFL Gameday 99 on one of my newer PC's it gave me an error saying it couldn't detect a Pentium processor or equivelant. I had a P4 3.0 w/ HT....

B

BencEEE

Ati Problem

Hello i have this problem:
when i`m start starcraft i get the following message:
DIRECT DRAW ERROR
starcraft was unable to switch video modes. To correct this problem set Dektop Area to 640 x 480 and Color Palette to 256 colors....

I've bought a new card some days ago and i don't think that this card card is too slow or omething like that...
this is my new card:
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP
113-AB25600-102
ATI display adapter AGP (0x9587)
Internal DAC(400MHz)
256MB
the newest softver i think:ati2dvag (6.14.10.6706)

so i'dont now what's the problem

i usually use 1280X1024 but i havent got a 640x480 with 256 color only with 16 color and that isnt enough......
so what can i do?

oh and 1 more thing in the preferencies the compatibility i switch to run in 640x480 and 256 colors but my PC is unable to do it......(upper a write it)

is there any patch or something i can use?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry but there is not. The only video resolution Starcraft supports is 640x480 and 256 colors. If your video card or monitor does not support that you will not be able to play the game. You should contact your Video Card manufacturer for information on how to run Starcraft with there card - as it is still a popular game and they should support it. They might need to do a patch though.

You need to make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card. Even if it is brand new you should check the manufacturers website to see if they have any updated drivers.

Zog_1er

Reaction score
Solution

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I had this problem... But found the solution !!
Graphics card ATI radeon was the problem, this card is too powerful ! It does'nt load low screen resolutions. So should enter into the config panel :
click "peripherics"
click "graphic card"
doble click "ATI radeon ..."
click "driver updating"
and choose "VGA standard and not ATI Radeon..."
and finally reboot !

VGA will run the 256 colors palette with 640x480 screen resolution (it's necessary to modify)... and Starcraft will run !!!!!
B)

Bye

safire

Reaction score
I am having a unique issue with my Old Starcraft game. When I open it to play, The image is kinda like looking at a triple "ghosting" effect. Everything is almost like doubled or tripled. Please. I would really like to play it and I have done so many things to try and fix the issue. My stats are as follows.

Video Card:ATI Radeon HD 4670
Moniters:MAIN Viewsonic VX2235wm-3 SECONDARY Viewsonic VA930m
CPU: AMD Phenom X3 8650 2.3GHz
RAM: 4GB pc6400
DirectX is up to date. All drivers up to date. Please help?

Shoreline1gg

Reaction score
Sorry that i bump this old thread.
but i had the same problem and i tested all the thing with change the resolution and all that. But u only need to download the latest drivers for your graphic card. i didnt know that my drivers were so old :p
i got a Radeon HD 2900 XT and with new drivers it worked perfect ,but with like 2 year old drivers it didnt work for me ..
hope it helps

quarrior

Reaction score
Sorry that i bump this old thread.
but i had the same problem and i tested all the thing with change the resolution and all that. But u only need to download the latest drivers for your graphic card. i didnt know that my drivers were so old :p
i got a Radeon HD 2900 XT and with new drivers it worked perfect ,but with like 2 year old drivers it didnt work for me ..
hope it helps

I found the solution for this some time ago. I too own a Toshiba satellite and I believe the problem is mostly associated with the ATI Radeon mobility HD graphics cards in the satellites. Either way I've tried all the possible methods of refreshing the display to 256 colours and 640 x 480 resolution and it doesn't work. The simplest method is to follow these steps

1. Enter Control Panel from the start menu options
2. Open device manager (from the classic menu for those who use Vista)
3. Under the display adapters you should see ATI Mobility Radeon - depending on your system the actual card will vary but mine is a HD 2600
4. Right click on the ati mobility radeon... and click disable. This turns off the device and restores the system to run without a graphics card.

Now you can operate yoru system in 256 colours and 640 x 480 resolution, that can be done using the methods described before, either by right clicking on the starcraft shortcut or by right clciking on the desktop and going into display properties and manually changing the colour modes to 640 x 480.

When you have finished with starcraft simply follow the steps shown above and right click again and press "enable" instead of disable on the ati mobility radeon xxx in the device manager. Your computer will need to restart to turn the driver back on.

Cheers

Quarrior

Spud497

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got windows 7 and i've tried all of the above advice and starcraft is still coming up in messed up colours....I'm using a standard Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop, it's only a couple months old.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.